Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Saudi Arabia, home of the ultra conservative form of Sunni fundamentalist Wahhab sect of Islam. Home of 15 of the 17 hijackers on September 11th. Birthplace of Osama Bin Laden. The second largest supplier of US oil, and one of the more stable Middle Eastern nations, despite its vast income disparity.

Oddly, Saudi Arabia seems to have a magic cloak of invisibility or invulnerability when it comes to the US. After the Sept 11th attacks the
9/11 REPORT SAYS SAUDI ARABIA LINKS WENT UNEXAMINED

With a less than stellar human rights record and a fairly frequent stream of honor killings, it begs the question, why is the United States focused so intently on other Middle Eastern nations when Saudi Arabia leaves a lot to be desired. In light of the US mindset seeking out terrorism where it hides, why is one of its birth places the most overlooked places in the Middle East?

Is it as simple as the oil or the large amount of US investment in Saudi Arabia? It isn't like the US has changed allies/enemies before, after all Saddam was once our ally and it didn't take long for that to change, so alliances aren't static, they change.

Your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
Life is life!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,462 times
They might be a theocratic dictatorship, but they're OUR theocratic dictatorship. See, that makes it alright.

(And don't even get me started on 9/11.)

Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Life is life!
That's pretty funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
They might be a theocratic dictatorship, but they're OUR theocratic dictatorship. See, that makes it alright.

(And don't even get me started on 9/11.)
I'm not sure just how much "they are ours", I mean after all, everyone goes on and on and on and on about fundamentalist Islam this, Muslim crazies that, yet the whole event that has so far shaped the entire face of our nation and its foreign policy in the 21st century barely gets a mention.

Beyond me why so many would drive a 1000 miles out of their way to condemn the Palestinians who are in a conflict with another nation will at the same time drive right by the very people who gave birth and attacked our nation and not give a damn. I think most Americans would rather look in Canada for radical Islam and terrorist than the country that watered the first seeds, after all, we do drive a lot of SUV's here.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
I cannot help but notice the similarities of the terrorists in 9-11 and Mumbai. In both cases, they were not officially sponsored by the government. So, the presumed excuse by Saudi and Pakistan is that they are not "state actors" and thus the country is not responsible. Yet, the terrorists had significant civilian support, and in case of Pakistan, even support from some elements of the secret service. It is amazing that we do not tend to focus enough on the countries where such terrorists are born. I guess, in the case of Saudi, they have oil and controlling or providing security to the king ensures we get oil, so we keep it low key. In the case of Pakistan, we look the other way (and give them aid) hoping they will help us out in the Pak-Afghan border (plus them having nukes also serves as a deterrent). We need to think long term.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I always laugh when posters on C-D grouse and fulminate about the influence the pro-Israeli group AIPAC has on our politicians.

Compared to the Saudis, AIPAC is a bunch of rank amateurs....

Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
... something taught at schools..."what goes around, comes around"

Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
... something taught at schools..."what goes around, comes around"
And we're still waiting Maybe if we wait long enough we may get to see a war crimes trial take place

Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Our relationship with Saudi Arabia makes a mockery of other aspects of our foreign policy. For example, who could actually believe that the Cuba embargo is based on a 'principled stance' in 'support of democracy' while one of our dearest allies is a repressive petro-monarchy?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And we're still waiting Maybe if we wait long enough we may get to see a war crimes trial take place
I wouldn't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies