Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the News Media: Pro-Hamas, Pro-Israel or Fairly Reporting The News
Pro-Hamas 75 35.21%
Pro-Israel 98 46.01%
Fairly Reporting The News 21 9.86%
Other 8 3.76%
Not Sure 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Once again - Israel has shown restraint - Hamas fired the first "shot"

And, once again, if Hamas breaks this cease fire (and, IMO, they will), I would completely support the elimination of Hamas and Gaza.
not surprised by your thinking the creation of isreal has limited the land and created refugees but thats okay, and to think something like that wont cause problems you got another thing coming and history proved that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times

when an area is blockaded by a country and people suffer what do you think will happen

Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So I guess you need to be asked again, Dignity: when Hamas fired on Israel, what exactly did you expect Israel to do? Wag their finger at them and say, "Now, now, not nice." If Hamas decides it would rather not fight, there can be peace. Until then, your pictures are very graphic--as similar photos from any war are--but one-sided in the extreme.
One sided in the extreme? How is that possible when the death count stands at 13 for Israel and 1200 for Palestine. Seems like the pictures probably tell a pretty honest version of the story. There aren't pictures like this coming out of Israel because this sort of destruction and death haven't occured there. So no, the pictures aren't one sided. There is just one side here taking about 95% of the damage.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
when an area is blockaded by a country and people suffer what do you think will happen
People that feel blockaded leave for better pastures!
Just 2 examples from the region:
1) Latest exodus of christians from the middle east. Happens without excessive drama. Most people in the world are not even aware of that (http://www.cathnews.com/news/605/112.php - broken link) happening.
2) Bahai left Iran:
The Muslim Network for Baha’i Rights » Blog Archive » Baha’i exodus

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM

396 posts, read 923,453 times
Ok guys.
I got this email today. My friend's daughter is doing medschool rotations in Israel now. It's a lot of food for thoughts.

Here is her email:

I'm back in Beer Sheva, it's kinda crazy here. What happens in Israel is definitely misrepresented. I was not scared to come here because I took the rocket attacks lightly. In reality, being here for the past day and 1/2 I guess you can say I'm a chicken. Today 2 sirens went off, followed by 3 explosions in the that I heard a minute later. I was sleeping and had to get up to get to the bomb shelter in 1 minute. I guess the anticipation of waiting that 1 minute is the worst part of it all. None of the American newspapers or internet sources tell you guys how many rockets hit and where they land. There are much more than I thought. Walking outside to the hospital last night was crazy. There was not one car on the road, and although it was a 5 minute walk, the whole time I was thinking about whether or not a minute is enough to run inside the hospital in my platform boots. 2 days ago a rocket injured 5 people, one of them I knew. It was a Russian nurse I had worked with in OB/GYN she was in her car when the siren blasted, got out and when on the ground covering her son. The rocket hit her car and unfortunately both the nurse and her son sustained bodily injuries, the son in critical care as the scrapnel went into his head (the only part she didn't cover to allow him to breath). Anyway, I did not mean to get you guys depressed, just wanted to shed some first-hand light on the situation. I am really hungry right now and want to go to the supermarket, but I am scared to walk outside after those sirens! I guess, this might be good for weight loss, lol!

Hopefully, this resolves soon! Stay tuned for more adventures.

Love,
M

Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
People that feel blockaded leave for better pastures!
Just 2 examples from the region:
1) Latest exodus of christians from the middle east. Happens without excessive drama. Most people in the world are not even aware of that (http://www.cathnews.com/news/605/112.php - broken link) happening.
2) Bahai left Iran:
The Muslim Network for Baha’i Rights » Blog Archive » Baha’i exodus
There is no "feeling" to it, they ARE blockaded, hence the complaints from the world press and humanitarian aid organizations being blocked from entering.

These people are in a cage and they get a nifty phone call from some unknown Israeli saying, move, were going to bomb your house. Problem is, there is no place to run to as where they are going may have gotten the same phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Ok guys.
I got this email today. My friend's daughter is doing medschool rotations in Israel now. It's a lot of food for thoughts.

Here is her email:

I'm back in Beer Sheva, it's kinda crazy here. What happens in Israel is definitely misrepresented. I was not scared to come here because I took the rocket attacks lightly. In reality, being here for the past day and 1/2 I guess you can say I'm a chicken. Today 2 sirens went off, followed by 3 explosions in the that I heard a minute later. I was sleeping and had to get up to get to the bomb shelter in 1 minute. I guess the anticipation of waiting that 1 minute is the worst part of it all. None of the American newspapers or internet sources tell you guys how many rockets hit and where they land. There are much more than I thought. Walking outside to the hospital last night was crazy. There was not one car on the road, and although it was a 5 minute walk, the whole time I was thinking about whether or not a minute is enough to run inside the hospital in my platform boots. 2 days ago a rocket injured 5 people, one of them I knew. It was a Russian nurse I had worked with in OB/GYN she was in her car when the siren blasted, got out and when on the ground covering her son. The rocket hit her car and unfortunately both the nurse and her son sustained bodily injuries, the son in critical care as the scrapnel went into his head (the only part she didn't cover to allow him to breath). Anyway, I did not mean to get you guys depressed, just wanted to shed some first-hand light on the situation. I am really hungry right now and want to go to the supermarket, but I am scared to walk outside after those sirens! I guess, this might be good for weight loss, lol!

Hopefully, this resolves soon! Stay tuned for more adventures.

Love,
M
Obviously she isn't in Gaza because she would be dead or wouldn't be allowed to send mail.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
YouTube - Unintentional News from Alarabiya-TV

Isn't this hilarious? A reporter is just told hamas launched a missile from their building - and she laughs.

Btw, that city does not look like a prison camp. In fact, it looks fairly intact.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
The UN tried to address the problem almost a year ago, to no avail:

UN emergency relief coordinator John Holmes briefed the 15-member council on his recent tour of the West Bank and Gaza as well as his visit to the Israeli town of Sderot which is under a continuing barrage of Qassam rockets from Gaza.

He scolded both Hamas and Israel for a situation which he described as "not sustainable and extremely damaging to the prospects for the current peace process."

"Hamas, which claims to govern the Gaza Strip, must accept its full share of responsibility for the suffering in Gaza," Holmes said, urging the militant group to act to stop the rocket firing "immediately."

And while acknowledging Israel's "legitimate security concerns and a right and duty to defend its citizens," he pointedly added: "Security cannot override all other concerns or justify so much damage to ordinary people's livelihoods and infringement of their human dignity and human rights."

AFP: New strategy urged to end Gaza blockade, rocket firing on Israel

Perhaps now they can address these problems, but the rockets have to stop being fired into Israel.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

396 posts, read 923,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Obviously she isn't in Gaza because she would be dead or wouldn't be allowed to send mail.
Read again. She is in Israel under Hamas bombings. This is what made Israel to start the offensive.
Yeah, in Gaza arabs wouldn't let her write letters. i agree with u.

Do not concentrate on Gaza. Look what Hamas/Hezbollah do to Israel for years.

Read this: One of the great problems with Americans is that - being a decent people - they assume that everyone else is equally decent.
Meir Kahane

Are hamas/hezbollah arabs decent? hell no.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM

21 posts, read 11,672 times
English poet
By Michael Rosen

In Gaza, children,
you learn that the sky kills
and that houses hurt.
You learn that your blanket is smoke
and breakfast is dirt.

You learn that cars do somersaults
clothes turn red,
friends become statues,
bakers don´t sell bread.

You learn that the night is a gun,
that toys burn
breath can stop,
it could be your turn.

You learn:
if they send you fire
they couldn´t guess:
not just the soldier dies -
it´s you and the rest.

Nowhere to run,
nowhere to go,
nowhere to hide
in the home you know.

You learn
that death isn´t life,
that air isn´t bread,
the land is for all.
You have the right to be
Not Dead.
You have the right to be
Not Dead.
You have the right to be
Not Dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies