Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They did fix the problem. The ozone stopped declining.
Was that due to the US? Or other countries as well?

Gullibility is a key factor in cultish behavior you know.

The ozone stopped declining, just like that - a snap of the fingers?

Oh lord - save us from the "greenies" religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

No first the world community agreed to phase down CFCs via the Montreal Protocol. Then the US actually acted on it's agreement with the rest of the world and began to phase out CFCs. Then atmospheric CFCs began to decline. Then the ozone stopped declining. Understandable?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Harold Ambler: Mr. Gore: Apology Accepted

The Goreacle and his flock are infamous for ignoring such things and cherry picking the "evidence" of their hoax theory.

Good read from a surprising source.

The sham is not working - just look at Hansen's plea to Obama to DO SOMETHING!
what is it that you cons have against science? It really makes you look ignorant.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM

540 posts, read 629,909 times
Quote:

Sanrene you always seem to get it just right.
When I was a youngster I was around farming quite a bit. One of the things we grew was sweet potatoes. It was basically just a labor intensive crop. We used a 10.10.10 analysis fertilizer, (that's potash,phosphate,potassium for the uninitiated), and a little sulpher powder to keep the insects at bay while the plant was getting established.
Although it is without a doubt that a little organic matter does increase yield and "may" influence flavor, a little ,not sure about that one. One thing for sure ,the yield is generally far less ,particularly in mineral soils without chemical fertilizer.
Not to mention the starving millions that could be lessened by modern agriculture practices of yield and the thousands that have starved due to pesticide abandonment. The reason I provide this backgound is to compliment your post.
I was at the grocery the other day and was bewildered that a pound of sweet potatoes without the organic sticker was under $2 and a pound with the organic sticker was over $4. (Don't remember exactly, that ratio anyways).
Only a fool, no make it a fools -fool ,would fall for the crap being peddled in the grocery stores alone. It is "so Hollywood" i suppose, so chic, so dumb as a ..cking stump. It may add to a lifespan of a human by an hour, perhaps detract? This is what these noodle head hollywood homosexual types eat like gravy to a starving hound. It makes them feel so airy and light I guess.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No first the world community agreed to phase down CFCs via the Montreal Protocol. Then the US actually acted on it's agreement with the rest of the world and began to phase out CFCs. Then atmospheric CFCs began to decline. Then the ozone stopped declining. Understandable?
You don't seem to get it. There are still millions of appliance with CFC's in them. I don't know any other way to tell you. HCFC's are still being bought by the pallet load. Both contain the chlorine molecule that kills 100,000 ozone molecules for each one that get's into the atmosphere. Further more practically every single HVAC system in the US still runs on HCFC's. You do have a small percentage though that have already moved to HFC's.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Sanrene you always seem to get it just right.
When I was a youngster I was around farming quite a bit. One of the things we grew was sweet potatoes. It was basically just a labor intensive crop. We used a 10.10.10 analysis fertilizer, (that's potash,phosphate,potassium for the uninitiated), and a little sulpher powder to keep the insects at bay while the plant was getting established.
Although it is without a doubt that a little organic matter does increase yield and "may" influence flavor, a little ,not sure about that one. One thing for sure ,the yield is generally far less ,particularly in mineral soils without chemical fertilizer.
Not to mention the starving millions that could be lessened by modern agriculture practices of yield and the thousands that have starved due to pesticide abandonment. The reason I provide this backgound is to compliment your post.
I was at the grocery the other day and was bewildered that a pound of sweet potatoes without the organic sticker was under $2 and a pound with the organic sticker was over $4. (Don't remember exactly, that ratio anyways).
Only a fool, no make it a fools -fool ,would fall for the crap being peddled in the grocery stores alone. It is "so Hollywood" i suppose, so chic, so dumb as a ..cking stump. It may add to a lifespan of a human by an hour, perhaps detract? This is what these noodle head hollywood homosexual types eat like gravy to a starving hound. It makes them feel so airy and light I guess.
Like buying that really clean bottled water. Upon further inspection you are buying city water that's been through a reverse osmosis filter. For the price of a few hundred of those bottles you can have your own RO filter but you will have to find the bottles.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You don't seem to get it. There are still millions of appliance with CFC's in them. I don't know any other way to tell you. HCFC's are still being bought by the pallet load. Both contain the chlorine molecule that kills 100,000 ozone molecules for each one that get's into the atmosphere.
Oh I get it. You don't know the difference between CFC and HCFC. It's been clear for several posts.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Do you need me to go get my jugs of refrigerant and take pictures of them for you to understand I work with refrigerants daily.... Hey I'm even certified through the EPA.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Do you need me to go get my jugs of refrigerant and take pictures of them for you to understand I work with refrigerants daily.... Hey I'm even certified through the EPA.
Shocking that someone with such a glaring lack of knowledge was certified, but we know our federal system needs reform.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually there is a PR campaign to make people think there is a lack of scientific consensus

No need lets start on the easy things:
  • Coal plants cause a lot of environmental damage over and above anything from CO2. Let's phase down coal over the next 20 years and ramp up clean renewables.
  • Imported oil has a huge cost when you include the cost of our military presence in the Middle East. PHEV offer the potential for a vehicle that gets 75 mpg. The Big 3 need new products. Let's pay a $5,000 bonus for the purchase of a PHEV produced in the US.
  • The economy needs stimulation and our infrastructure has been neglected for years. Let's build lots of mass transit, unclogging our freeways, reducing air pollution, and reducing our use of oil.
  • Let's continue to increase energy efficiency in buildings -- HVAC, insulation, passive heating & cooling, appliances, etc.
One doesn't have to embrace the IPCC findings to see that all of these make a lot of sense.
I have no problem with most of that.

You know, if you REALLY wanted to help the environment you would throw your computer out the window:
• A lump of coal is burned every time a book is orderedon-line.[/
• It takes about a pound of coal to create, package,store and move 2 megabytes of data.
• The average internet user (12 hours per week) uses over 300 pounds of coal annually for this purpose
• The total demand for electricity from personal computerson the internet amounts to 8% of the U.S. electrical supply
• A typical computer spread with internet access requires about 1,000 watts of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies