Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's hilarious! Isn't that the SOLE reason all you repugs & naysayers & big corps. are dissing the scientific truth? BECAUSE OF MONEY!!!!! LOL, that's hilarious that you're accusing the people who research this for a living & totally dismissing big corps & the like. Hypocrite.

How do research scientists make money? Doing research and writing books about the research they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Exactly. Remember that we started with someone talking about 2007. The part that matters is the 2.2 degrees since industrialization began.
If one thing had to happen for us to be where we are today it would have to be extinction of an insanely large amount of species. Maybe life will evolve again after the next extinction.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
... but as far as I can tell, no apology was offered, or warranted.
Quote:
The Goreacle and his flock are infamous for ignoring such things and cherry picking the "evidence" of their hoax theory.
Kinda like "cherry-picking" articles written by global warming deniers?

"News" articles and opinion pieces ... what do they matter? Whether they are written to support those who believe that global warming is really happening or those who really think it isn't, it's not like they present any hard evidence, objectively evaluated, right?

And who is Harold Ambler, anyway? Is he someone whose opinion (for that's what it is) on global warming should matter to me?

Is he the same Harold Ambler who plays acoustic guitar in performances in Austin, Texas? That must give him about the same kind of insight into global warming as I get sitting here in front of my PC!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
That's a number that people quote on the Internet, but when you probe a bit, it seems to be one magazine writers unsubstantiated opinion. The Gore family is wealthy, and their finances are private, but we know Gore donated his money from his global warming books and his Nobel Prize to further the global warming initiatives he thinks are important. We also know Gore consults and serves on corporate board in the Internet space. If you play "follow the money," most of Gore's current accumulation will certainly have come from the high tech industry.

Fascinating, Got a link?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
... but as far as I can tell, no apology was offered, or warranted.

Kinda like "cherry-picking" articles written by global warming deniers?

"News" articles and opinion pieces ... what do they matter? Whether they are written to support those who believe that global warming is really happening or those who really think it isn't, it's not like they present any hard evidence, objectively evaluated, right?

And who is Harold Ambler, anyway? Is he someone whose opinion (for that's what it is) on global warming should matter to me?

Is he the same Harold Ambler who plays acoustic guitar in performances in Austin, Texas? That must give him about the same kind of insight into global warming as I get sitting here in front of my PC!

Al Gore is a washed up politician. I really don't trust him. The world temperature average dropped off the table last year and the GW crowd has old 2007 graphs all over their websites. Really gotta look for a 2008 graph. The reason is obvious. The temperature today is what it was in 1890 and the mid 20s.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How do research scientists make money? Doing research and writing books about the research they do.
They get their money for their projects thru grants. Publish or perish, have you ever heard of that? And you didn't even answer my post. Typical. Guess I caught you speechless, huh?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Provide a link to someone who doesn't stand to make a lot of money from claiming global warming is real and must be researched further or some tree hugger site that hates industrialization. CO2 cannot heat the Earth because if it did the extra CO2 that gets released by the oceans during warm periods (like warm soda) would render the Earth permanently hot. Are you able to follow that logic? By the way, historically CO2 levels increase about 800 years after the Earth warms and is caused by the warming process. After the higher CO2 level is present in the atmosphere, the Earth cools. CO2 cannot, and never has warmed the Earth, therefore, man-made global warming is a hoax.

Get off the internet, go to a library and learn something.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,439 times
Quote:
I think not. How bout the rate of new species discovered? HOW in the world can new species pop into existence when the planet is on the verge of collapse?

Actually, its one of several predictions we were told a decade ago would signal the last stages of our demise. Here are a few

Increase in the rate new species are discovered

Increase in discovering living specimens of species thought extinct.

Increase in the rate of species going extinct (currently 3/hour)

Sudden relocation of whole populations of species.

Sudden disappearance of whole populations of species.

Reappearance of species in areas where they haven't been seen for a century or more.

The rate at which species currently are going extinct exceeds any of the known mass extinctions.

Earthday 2000 (http://www.time.com/time/reports/earthday2000/biodiversity01.html - broken link)

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM

man made it through the ice age we will be fine without ice caps. Although you are right a massive amount of people will need to relocate from the beach.

I personally think it's quiet arrogant of the human race to amount itself the the great asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Just the full knowledge of the sheer number of events and the size they happened in which formed and shaped our planet should have global warming people questioning themselves.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM

This just about sums up the arrogance..

Humanity would then have to wait millions of years for natural evolution to replace what was lost in a single century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies