Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
If the 'work ethic' consistently lead to substantial results these days then most working people would be at a very comfortable level, able to make ends meet easily. That's all a lot of people want. It seems like only in the U.S. do people become so hostile to that idea.
And you also have to be fiscally responsible. Don't forget that equally important thing. I know a lot of people who have a really strong work ethic but spend their money out the yin yang on frivolous things. The idea of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and working to the top is diminished if you can't budget properly along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
If the 'work ethic' consistently lead to substantial results these days then most working people would be at a very comfortable level, able to make ends meet easily. That's all a lot of people want. It seems like only in the U.S. do people become so hostile to that idea. confused:
I am more of a "libertarian" and understand your question well. I also understand the other side and let me try to explain on their behalf (please forgive me, conservatives)
People in the US, are not hostile to some other's wish to make ends meet. Not at all. They disagree with the demand to involve the government in this process. They think NOBODY should EXPECT anything form the society or their government. It should all be personal and individual. Everyone should work for himself/ his family and whatever the achievements are he/she should be satisfied with. At least not asking their government (i.e. the society) for help. No conservative opposes you to make more money if you can.
Yes, the US is very conservative and capital oriented when compared to western europe countries. But that is the US character for better or worse. What I strongly disagree with is when conservatives equal financial gains with hard work. It is at least inaccurate. The biggest gains are made when almost no work/effort are invested. Sometimes work and effort were invested prior to that, but when the big money starts pouring in, it is almost effortless. There is no direct link between hard work or even high education and money. What brings serious financial gains are independent thinking, self initiative, being proactive, timing, quick responses, being smart and taking risks. Those are the qualities that the American society rewards. And it is no fun being poor in America.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-07-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM

125 posts, read 435,440 times
Oberon, I understand their attitude. I have a few in my family with the same mentality. I just think at this point in time that it's an archaic mentality to have. I think their beliefs only worked well in a much simpler time.

Loved the last half of your post.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Thanks Max,
It always make me smile when I hear people talking about "the greedy company executives". They are supposed to be greedy! That's what their shareholders (among them many who are now screaming) expect them to do. They are only guilty if they break the law. It is a tough race and many "bend" the law, though some take it to the extreme. I also hear the "companies aren't moral". What that's supposed to mean? Are these CEO's cardinals or bishops?
Another myth is education. Yes, with education you have better chances and opportunities. But, if you check, the most successful aren't very educated. Take Bill Gates for example - delete Microsoft from his resume and he would probably find himself unemployed. Other billionaires aren't that much educated either. On the other hand you have a gazzilion PhD who are either unemployed or aren't working in their field (I know at least 2 who opened a pub). So both high education and hard work don't necessary guarantee success in 2009.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
There will always be "grasshoppers" and "ants". I'm an ant. The grasshopper can never understand why the ant does what he does; he is a grasshopper.

Its good to be the ant.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
It's a moral obligation, folks, that in a rich country such as ours, people can at least eat.

We pay for it one way or another - better wages, jobs not being outsourced, employees not coming in to take jobs, etc. OR we give people food stamps. Same thing. Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
And you also have to be fiscally responsible. Don't forget that equally important thing. I know a lot of people who have a really strong work ethic but spend their money out the yin yang on frivolous things. The idea of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and working to the top is diminished if you can't budget properly along the way.
What a bunch of BS, excuse me. People can't even pay their bills on a "decent" salary; things cost WAY above the salaries people are paid in this country - they are NOT buying luxuries, believe me.

Haven't you HEARD what's going on? I swear, some of you on here have your heads in the sand about how people are living - get out there and LOOK.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You get no sympathy from me. You have no business being a single mom with two kids if you can only get a menial job such as a grocery clerk. What educational level had you reached before you started having kids? How come you had no other better job skills? And I see no reason why the grocery store owed you a job that paid more. So... do you think the owner of that grocery store (chain) an evil wealthy man because he wouldn't pay you more for your work? Grocery store work doesn't require any skills, and while they offer mother's hours, but they are also figuring on that mom having a husband who has a fulltime career making higher wages.

You should never rush into having kids. Sorry you ex turned out to be a loser and a bum, but surely there must have been some clues before you started having kids together. Get some decent education and specialized job skills as a safety net for later on. And never count on your man being there to be the family breadwinner, he could be gone suddenly tomorrow due to illness, an accident, out on deployment or running off into the arms of another woman. Society doesn't owe you a safety net that will help you out until your kids are all grown up. That's why there are life insurance policies.

Otherwise, when you have no money, it's not worth it to get a car. If there isn't public transportation, there is riding a bicycle or a scooter, or taking a taxi. Or getting a job that is closer to home. Better jobs than a grocery clerk would be waitressing (plus you usually get one free meal per shift) or bartending for the cash tips.

I know a few women that raised kids but had a side part time job as an accountant for the extra money. And being an accountant pays a lot more than being a grocery store clerk. Fast food chains gear their jobs towards students and retirees. Unless you want to go into management, no way do they even suggest someone try to raise a family on what they pay their order takers and cooks.

And my parents used to own a couple of furniture stores back in the 70's and 80's. And yes, my dad got paid the most, but my mom was only paid as much as the other furniture sales people. All his employees had health benefits completely paid for, and they were pretty much paid the going rate for a non-commission salesperson. And his staff was happy and with him for many years. However except for my parents, none of the employees had kids to raise. So what they were paid was quite acceptable to them. Actually, there was one older married man with kids that was hired for management, but that was a disaster and he only lasted about six months. He was paid more than the other staff, but was slow and didn't hustle like the younger ones. So he wasn't worth his salary. And my father never again hired anyone like that agHe did make sure that all his empain. His business just couldn't afford it. My dad had a conscience and knew that he couldn't afford to hire someone that was the breadwinner in a family. But he also knew that the retail jobs and warehouse/delivery work wasn't a proper career for anyone wanting to raise a family. Our house wasn't very exciting, but the only stipulation was that our town had a top notch public school system. And my parents drove old cars for many years. When one finally died and needed to be replaced, another used car was purchased.

I've worked in several printshops running small offset presses, worked several factory jobs, been a cook, waitressed, sold cars and antiques. Many times, I held two jobs at once. I never buy soda, I'm not a coffee addict and my cars are old. I know how to live really cheap. I know how to save up for expensive things that I really want and I never buy those things new. When my sister had her two girls, then was divorced and living with my parents, she had to either go back to school fulltime or have a job fulltime in order to recieve my parents' help. Her kids got their clothes and toys used from thrift shops. When they seemed bored with their toys, they got turned in for different used toys. The kids' dad is from New Zealand and drifts in and out of their lives. It's easier and less drama to not have him around at all. For work, my sister worked at one of the state universities as an administrative assistant and from them got excellent health benefits for herself and her kids. And the pay was fairly decent. She also took some classes at the university.
You are totally COLD. I hope you get yourself into a bad financial situation and see what it's really like, you jerk. Sorry - can't help myself here. Did you ever hear of the word "compassion"? NO? Look it up.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
If "the best thing in life are free," then why are we all working so hard?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's a moral obligation, folks, that in a rich country such as ours, people can at least eat.

We pay for it one way or another - better wages, jobs not being outsourced, employees not coming in to take jobs, etc. OR we give people food stamps. Same thing. Six of one half a dozen of the other.
Right. That's why all the ultra poor slobs are obese, because in this rich country we are so mean we deny food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies