U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,996,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
I was attempting to make a joke - maybe you've heard of it? It's when someone says something to make you laugh. But wait - you would need a sense of humor to understand a joke.

And I don't know who this 'we' is you keep referring to, but I personally don't believe much of what tv tell us until I do some research myself on the subject. And I value human life just as much as you probably do.

Is your diatribe over, or is there more?
Good point! Diatribe is a good description. But I don't know if it is worth the effort to type out a response to a post like that. . .
Rate this post positively

Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,631,194 times
Rosie O'Donuts is totally nauseating. She is a left-wing loudmouth who reflexively blames everything on America itself, Pres. Bush, Christians, conservatives, gun owners, straight people, or any combo of these.

I really wish she'd shut her gargantuan yap for awhile and give us a break!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 AM

431 posts, read 342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So far everyone here has insulted her for being gay, said she's ugly, called her nuts, remarked on her facial hair, claimed she is depraved, etc...ad nauseum.

Your opinion of her as a person is irrelevant because the topic is what she's been saying lately, not how she looks or how she might be too lesbian for your tastes. What she has said is the issue.

I haven't heard all her latest comments. But, obviously it's resonating with some of her audience and, so far, no one here has contradicted or dissected her claims/statements. So you hate her. But if you're going to call her nuts, at least outline why what she's saying doesn't make sense to you. Can you truly argue that Bush is an angel, unworthy of impeachment or is your ideology not allowing you to think straight?

Oh wait! This is an online forum. We can't expect logical arguments from ANY ideology, just semi-anonymous venom and hate. Anyone know where the real discussion is?

Oh wait! This is America (for the most part). We don't reason, we attack and slander and name-call. We vent and rage and believe everything the TV tells us. We don't question authority, we either glorify it or kill it. We don't value dignity or human life. We do whatever little evil thing our dark hearts can conjure.

NO SOUP FOR YOU! NEXT!!!
You must be kidding, right? The question isn't "what has she done or said that is controversial"? The real question is "what has she NOT done that ISN'T controversial?"

Do you remember the comment Rosie made about Kelly Rippa being homophobic because she didn't like Clay Aiken putting his hand over her mouth? Completely out of line for Clay to do and Kelly removed his hand (live TV) and said "No sir. I don't know where that hand has been." Remember that? Kelly Rippa called the show (The View) and corrected Rosie - put Rosie in her place quite nicely. Rosie had to apologize. Where did "homophobia" come in? Rosie IS NUTS!

Do you remember when she made fun of the fact that everyone was buzzing about Danny DeVito coming on the show drunk and she responded by going off on some rant with Chinese "verbage" - "Ching, chang, chong. Danny Devito. Ching chong. Ching chang. Ching, ching, chag. Danny DeVito." Remember that? She greatly offended Chinese-Americans and had to apologize. Where did "ching chong" come from? Rosie IS NUTS!

Who has Rosie NOT offended or made fun of? She's the QUEEN of MEAN! Don't come into a pubic fourm misinformed or uneducated on WHY she is so loathed by the majority! You, mhouse, are openly gay and tell us....ad nauseum....that you are. OF COURSE you think she's fine. Thus, your request for proof that she's not nuts. I don't have the time to write a novel for you about her inappropriateness, but rest assured that she is. Do your own research.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 AM

9,163 posts, read 9,843,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
You must be kidding, right? The question isn't "what has she done or said that is controversial"? The real question is "what has she NOT done that ISN'T controversial?"

Do you remember the comment Rosie made about Kelly Rippa being homophobic because she didn't like Clay Aiken putting his hand over her mouth? Completely out of line for Clay to do and Kelly removed his hand (live TV) and said "No sir. I don't know where that hand has been." Remember that? Kelly Rippa called the show (The View) and corrected Rosie - put Rosie in her place quite nicely. Rosie had to apologize. Where did "homophobia" come in? Rosie IS NUTS!

Do you remember when she made fun of the fact that everyone was buzzing about Danny DeVito coming on the show drunk and she responded by going off on some rant with Chinese "verbage" - "Ching, chang, chong. Danny Devito. Ching chong. Ching chang. Ching, ching, chag. Danny DeVito." Remember that? She greatly offended Chinese-Americans and had to apologize. Where did "ching chong" come from? Rosie IS NUTS!

Who has Rosie NOT offended or made fun of? She's the QUEEN of MEAN! Don't come into a pubic fourm misinformed or uneducated on WHY she is so loathed by the majority! You, mhouse, are openly gay and tell us....ad nauseum....that you are. OF COURSE you think she's fine. Thus, your request for proof that she's not nuts. I don't have the time to write a novel for you about her inappropriateness, but rest assured that she is. Do your own research.
Well, I guess that sums that up!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,289,134 times
But see here's the deal about Rosie. She's a celebrity. She has the right to tell everyone what is wrong with everything in our country and anything else that suits her. Unfortunately ABC has given her a mouthpiece for her feelings. If ABC were really concerned about her rants they would/could've done something by now. As another said, it's about ratings.

And one thing I've been wondering is didn't Clay Aiken make it known that he wasn't going to divulge whether he was gay or straight? Had it already come out that he was "out"? If not then Rosie so beautifully "outed" him. I've been friends with many gay people and from what I know, that is one of the worst things you can do.

The queen of mean just needs to go away. It may seem that people care about her by threads like these, magazine and news articles...but we don't. I'd choose watching Ellen over Rosie anyday. While I don't agree with the lifestyle choice, at least Ellen is respectful and doesn't shove her gayness on everyone!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,184,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
But see here's the deal about Rosie. She's a celebrity. She has the right to tell everyone what is wrong with everything in our country and anything else that suits her.
Anyone has the right to say what they feel is 'wrong with our country'. The difference between Rosie and many other celebrities is that Rosie is just an obnoxious individual using her status to shove the twisted logic that rambles inside her head down everyones throat. Whether she is on television, or living in a trailer park (IMO - where she belongs) she will be the same obnoxious person, parading her 'gayness' in your face, spouting off about anything and everything.

What you see in her can be summed up very easily - she is the perfect example of someone who, without her celebrity status, would still be a class-less jerk.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post

Excuse me, but I already indicated that I was unaware of her antics. Please reread my post. Thank you for pointing out a few outrageous examples, however. The only thing I know about Rosie is that she doesn't like Bush. That's all. That's no reason to call me ignorant. I posted so I could understand better why she was so hated, but no one outlined a reason--they just spilled venom. I don't watch her show, why do you?

Excuse me, but where did I post that I was gay? Oh yeah, I did that on the threads dealing with homosexuality, the same ones you posted to. How does this qualify as 'ad nauseum'? By the way, just because both Rosie and I are gay doesn't mean we support each other. How can I support someone I am not familiar with? I just thought it was cruel for people on this thread to call her an ugly lesbian with facial hair (and worse) and I was waiting for something, anything, that was a LOGICAL argument that I could use to form an opinion of her.

Finally, thanks for the hate and the personal attack. It was completely unjustified. I understand you dislike Rosie, but calm down. I am not Rosie. So far, I think Rosie is mean, but not nuts. To attack another person the way you did me was unacceptable. I'll accept your apology should one be forthcoming.

(I do have a sense of humor. No one was familiar with the Seinfeld reference...when a soup vendor dismisses someone for an illogical reason? It was to point out how this thread had done the same thing to Rosie O'Donnel without adequately explaining why.)

final edit:
STOP THE HATE! THINK STRAIGHT! STOP THE HATE! THINK STRAIGHT!
(this should be considered somewhat humorous I hope)

Last edited by mhouse2001; 03-07-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Excuse me, but I already indicated that I was unaware of her antics. Please reread my post. Thank you for pointing out a few outrageous examples, however. The only thing I know about Rosie is that she doesn't like Bush. That's all. That's no reason to call me ignorant. I posted so I could understand better why she was so hated, but no one outlined a reason--they just spilled venom. I don't watch her show, why do you?

Excuse me, but where did I post that I was gay? Oh yeah, I did that on the threads dealing with homosexuality, the same ones you posted to. How does this qualify as 'ad nauseum'? By the way, just because both Rosie and I are gay doesn't mean we support each other. How can I support someone I am not familiar with? I just thought it was cruel for people on this thread to call her an ugly lesbian with facial hair (and worse) and I was waiting for something, anything, that was a LOGICAL argument that I could use to form an opinion of her.

Finally, thanks for the hate and the personal attack. It was completely unjustified. I understand you dislike Rosie, but calm down. I am not Rosie. So far, I think Rosie is mean, but not nuts. To attack another person the way you did me was unacceptable. I'll accept your apology should one be forthcoming.

(I do have a sense of humor. No one was familiar with the Seinfeld reference...when a soup vendor dismisses someone for an illogical reason? It was to point out how this thread had done the same thing to Rosie O'Donnel without adequately explaining why.)
Excuse me but I have read several of your posts and there is a lot of mean-spiritness eminating from them as well. Your post regarding our First Lady Laura Bush and the sinister way you tried to spin it as well as other posts. You seem like you are in attack mode and have spilled some venom yourself. Maybe you feel people attack you because you seem on the attack yourself. It would be nice if we could keep this on the high road and still disagree. I am not being mean but if we could ALL keep our tone in check and disagree without resorting to ugliness it would be nice.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Excuse me but I have read several of your posts and there is a lot of mean-spiritness eminating from them as well. Your post regarding our First Lady Laura Bush and the sinister way you tried to spin it as well as other posts. You seem like you are in attack mode and have spilled some venom yourself. Maybe you feel people attack you because you seem on the attack yourself. It would be nice if we could keep this on the high road and still disagree. I am not being mean but if we could ALL keep our tone in check and disagree without resorting to ugliness it would be nice.
How was my post ugly or mean-spirited? It was certainly more civil than the one I was responding to. I am trying to get people to think instead of react because it's difficult to 'argue' when there's nothing behind the words but a knee-jerk emotional reaction (and everyone is guilty of that, I'm not pointing fingers). I am constantly trying to bring the threads I post to to some sense of logical argument, but I meet with considerable resistance. People focus on one word or phrase and lose the meaning of the whole passage/argument. It would be so much better if this forum were on video because the way a person says something conveys so much more than the written word. Video would convey humor when there is some that isn't obvious.

My post on Laura Bush was before I knew the quote came from Jay Leno, but I still feel that way about this Administration. If her traffic accident did occur, it's pretty telling about her character. I don't see that as an attack, just a reporting of the facts. I have nothing against her as First Lady.

Fortunately, enough people rate my posts positively and I feel like I've accomplished something or been listened to. I'd rather have a civil discourse, that's all. No name-calling or venom-spewing. Just an exchange of clearly outlined thoughts backed up by reason and evidence. Unfortunately, I get mad when that's not a universal value.

Sorry for the interruption...Back to the subject at hand...

Last edited by mhouse2001; 03-07-2007 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
How was my post ugly? I thought it was quite civil to someone that had treated me terribly. Anyway, I apologize for any impression of mean-spiritedness, that is never my intent. I am trying to get people to think instead of react because it's difficult to 'argue' when there's nothing behind the words but a knee-jerk emotional reaction. I am constantly trying to bring the threads I post to to some sense of logical argument, but I meet with considerable resistance. My post on Laura Bush was before I knew the quote came from Jay Leno, but I still feel that way about this Administration. Please understand that I am not attacking Mrs. Bush but if the traffic accident did occur, it's pretty telling about her character. I don't see that as an attack, just a reporting of the facts. I have nothing against her as First Lady. As far as ugliness, I find the responses to my posts to be soul-shattering at times, like I've spoken to an abyss that reaches out to bite my head off. Fortunately, enough people rate my posts positively and I feel good again. At least, I'm not alone.

Now, continue with the subject at hand...!
Ah hey, don't let it affect you in a negative way, this is suppose to be enjoyable. In the heat of the moment, in the heat of debate we can all get a little er say passionate in defending our stance! Now, back to the dabate, I DO take issue w/you saying that Laura Bush's traffic accident is telling of her character! She was 17 years old. Good grief if we were all held for the rest of our lives for something we did that long ago. . She wasn't drinking, she made a mistake, a tragic mistake. I believe the rest of her life should speak for her character not one error many years ago. What say you? . . As for me it is off to work. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.