Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
My grandfather told me that he witnessed a man hung in public as a child. He was a ww1 vet and said it was the most gruesome thing he had every seen, as the man was partially decapitated and did not die quickly. Kill and this will happen to you is the message. I think our current generation could use a little of this fear and in doing so, gain some respect for human life again.
Why don't you check out what happened in Texas when they televised an execution. The murder rates actually WENT UP.

So much for your theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM

698 posts, read 234,359 times
Antiabortion and anti capital punishment. For the same reason.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I support the death penalty. The reason why it isn't as much a deterant as it should be is because it isn't used often enough. Criminals don't want to be executed. They'd rather spend life in prison than be executed. That's why they go through years of appeals or are willing to cut a deal for life in prison instead of the death penalty. The death penalty isn't for business type crimes like embezzlement or fraud. It's for violent crimes like murder. Such people aren't even worth the money it takes to feed, clothe, and care for for the rest of their sorry lives.
People on death row go through years of appeals because they are entitled to it. Have you ever heard of due process? Do you know what that means?

Oh, yes. It costs FAR MORE MONEY TO EXECUTED someone than it does to "feed, clothe, and care for" them for the rest of their lives.

google Innocence Project. You'll be stunned and amazed as the data collection on this site!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am for the death penalty ONLY if there is no shadow of DOUBT that the person in question did commit the crime.

Even if there is a little percent of doubt, the person should not be put to death because putting an innocent person to death in our great country would be WRONG.
The standard of proof for criminal cases, even death penalty cases, is only "Beyond a REASONABLE DOUBT."

Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,007,569 times
I honesty do not know. I'm somewhat torn on the issue.

On the one hand, if someone hurt my child and took him away from me.. I'd want to kill the animal myself!!!

But, on the other hand my spiritual beliefs lead me to feel that death is way to easy . Unless the person truly is a "dark soul" (think the likes of Hitler or seriel killers) then he/she will go to heaven. Mind you, it won't be pleasant or easy because that persons true self, their soul, would have to face what they have done. If they are dead, they can not suffer.. and suffer is what I'd want for that person who takes someone else's life.

I know.. not very "forgiving" of me.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have personally witnessed an execution.

I have personally seen the closure it brings to the victims family.
And I have personally seen the lack of "closure" it has brought to some victims' families. I have personally known and investigated the cases at the post conviction appeal level of at least 10 inmates on one state's death row.

I have personally witnessed victims' families who did not want to death penalty for the person convicted of the crime.

Ever heard of John Blume?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,407,039 times
If the DNA evidence checks out, they deserve the death penalty.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I honesty do not know. I'm somewhat torn on the issue.

On the one hand, if someone hurt my child and took him away from me.. I'd want to kill the animal myself!!!

But, on the other hand my spiritual beliefs lead me to feel that death is way to easy . Unless the person truly is a "dark soul" (think the likes of Hitler or seriel killers) then he/she will go to heaven. Mind you, it won't be pleasant or easy because that persons true self, their soul, would have to face what they have done. If they are dead, they can not suffer.. and suffer is what I'd want for that person who takes someone else's life.

I know.. not very "forgiving" of me.
Who says you have to "forgive"?

And who says that killing the killer will make you feel any better?

There are organizations around the country made up of victims' family members to DO NOT SUPPORT THE DEATH PENALTY. Those are the people whom I believe ultimately experience closure and peace at some point. I do not believe for one minute that nurturing hatred and violence in your heart for years for the killer benfits the victims' families/friends one bit. And ultimately, the execution is an empty victory for it never, ever brings the dead loved one back. Also, nurturing the hatred for 10, 15, even 20 years until execution, IMO, does the family far more harm than they can imagine.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,395 times
Hang em high.

That sums up my views on capital punishment.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If the DNA evidence checks out, they deserve the death penalty.
Let me give you an example, THEN tell me that DNA evidence is never wrong.

Suppose a single young man, who lived alone, went out to a bar for drinks. Say he met a single woman and the two really liked each other, they really hit it off. Say the single woman lived alone.

Suppose that the man and woman went back to her apartment after the bar closed. They had sex. Then the single man got up went home. No one saw the young man leave her apartment. No one saw the young man arrive at his apartment alone because he also lived alone.

Suppose that about an hour after the young man left, some other man, who was a long ago boyfriend and who had a key to her apartment, came over. Suppose THAT MAN killed the woman. Then left the apartment. No one saw him come or go. Also say that the killer did not rape the woman, and was careful not to leave any type of evidence during the murder.

Next day the woman is found, police find the DNA evidence from the first guy because he and the woman had had sex. Lots of people saw the couple together at the bar. They saw the two leave the bar together. So, there are fingerprints from the single guy from the bar all over her apartment, plus there is DNA evidence from the seman.

WHO do you think will get convicted for that murder? The single guy actually was seen with the woman, seen leaving with her, left evidence at the apartment, including DNA evidence...........WHY WOULD THE POLICE LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE?

So, you see, DNA is not the absolute "magic bullet" everyone thinks it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies