Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They don't need 60 seats, they only need 60 votes. How long do you expect the Maine ladies to play along in a partisan plan for regional obstructionism?

Pelosi has been the most effective Speaker since Tip O'Neill, just as the right-wing Hate-o-Meter would suggest...
I really disagree. Tip O'Neill stood up to Reagan and kept his crazier ideas in check. When it has mattered, Pelosi has whimped out and kow-towed to Bush. 2006-2008 were like Hastert was still speaker. Pelosi is all talk and no action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Who wants to jump up and say they support this nosebag? What happened to reaching across the aisle? Typical dim behavior!

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30143&page=1#c1

Pelosi Erases Gingrich's Long-Standing Fairness Rules
by Connie Hair
01/05/2009

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi plans to re-write House rules today to ensure that the Republican minority is unable to have any influence on legislation. Pelosi’s proposals are so draconian, and will so polarize the Capitol, that any thought President-elect Obama has of bipartisan cooperation will be rendered impossible before he even takes office.

Pelosi’s rule changes -- which may be voted on today -- will reverse the fairness rules that were written around Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America.”

Amen!!!!!

Let's move America FORWARD, not BACKWARDS, goodbye Republican nutjobs, liars, and snake oil salesman like NEWT the HOOT and their "Contract With America" (which translated into the legal right to plunge this country backwards while proclaiming it for our best interests)

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
And by most effective, you mean most inept, right? This most recent congress has been the WORST governing body in the history of the US, as evidenced by their 9% approval rating. Right wing hate-o-meter has nothing to do with it...even democrats don't like them. To suggest otherwise is impressively ignorant.
I suppose you've specialized in the legislative history of the United States? I don't really see any evidence of that in your post. I also don't see any evidence of an undertanding that Congressional ratings are virtually always lower than those of the President. These aren't independent variables. If Bush is at 21% or whatever, the Congress will be somewhere below that. Regardless of which party is in the majority.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Apparently the thread starter is unaware that when the GOP was in control they did away with rules allowing for minority debate on bills.

This is 100 times more hurtful to the minority party than this these silly regulations Pelosi is "claimed" to have put in place.

What a great example of people not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-07-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I really disagree. Tip O'Neill stood up to Reagan and kept his crazier ideas in check. When it has mattered, Pelosi has whimped out and kow-towed to Bush. 2006-2008 were like Hastert was still speaker. Pelosi is all talk and no action.
Pelosi was still in the minority in 2006. By bringing down the gavel to open the 110th Congress, she put Bushie into a little box where he couldn't do any more damage. His filibustering friends and his little veto pen were all he had left to him. In two years, he got little that he wanted, and all of that came laden with a ton of Demo-offsets attached. A masterful performance...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I suppose you've specialized in the legislative history of the United States? I don't really see any evidence of that in your post. I also don't see any evidence of an undertanding that Congressional ratings are virtually always lower than those of the President. These aren't independent variables. If Bush is at 21% or whatever, the Congress will be somewhere below that. Regardless of which party is in the majority.
Likewise in your posts I have seen no evidence of mentioning anything that Pelosi has actually accomplished. If she was so effective, as you suggest, it shouldn't matter what Bush's approval rating is. All she has succeeded in doing is creating more partisan divide and gridlock in Washington, so even less is getting done than before. Under the watchful eye of the Democrats, we have seen a solid economy in 2006 collapse into what looks to be the worst recession since the Great Depression. That will be remembered as the biggest accomplishment of the Pelosi-run 110th Congress.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
To those against Bush or his policies anything/one that stopped him would be labeled as a hero so....

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
this administration did not run the legislature. This administration ran the executive branch of our government. The above article is about the legislature branch of our government. Check your hatred for Bush at the door and maybe you'd think more clearly.
Well said. If any Democrats agree with this type of legislation, you are nothing but kool-aid drinking members of your party.

If the Republicans passed similar legislation, I'd feel the same way.

Put your partisanship aside people, this will squelch ANY debate.

It appears the incoming Obama Administration feels the same way; in short, they are against this type of censorship.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Likewise in your posts I have seen no evidence of mentioning anything that Pelosi has actually accomplished.
Promised in the First 100 Hours of the 110th Congress...

Establish Pay-Go Rules
Adopt Remaining 9/11 Commission Recommendations
Pass Ethics Reform
Pass a Minimum Wage Increase
Accomplish Stem Cell Research Expansion
Establish Price Negotiation for Medicare Prescription Drugs
Implement College Student Loan Relief
Pass Clean Energy Act

And all of those were actually accomplished within the first 86 legislative hours of the 110th Congress. Farm bills, energy bills, and veterans benefits bills all came along after that.

Quote:
If she was so effective, as you suggest, it shouldn't matter what Bush's approval rating is. All she has succeeded in doing is creating more partisan divide and gridlock in Washington, so even less is getting done than before.
Fact of life, son. Half the people voted for the President. There are those who will back him regardless of how idiotic he is. Take yourself as an example. But Congress is 535 people and the most that anyone could have voted for is 3. Easy to dump on them without admitting to having been an idiot yourself. Result: Congress virtually always tracks lower than the President, and you could look it up.

Quote:
Under the watchful eye of the Democrats, we have seen a solid economy in 2006 collapse into what looks to be the worst recession since the Great Depression. That will be remembered as the biggest accomplishment of the Pelosi-run 110th Congress.
Laughable. Suppose you tell us what the 110th Congress did...well, actually just the House since Pelosi doesn't have much say in the Senate...to bring about economic ruin. Cite an actual economist or two who subscribes to that theory. This mess resulted from laissez-fair cowboy capitalism run amok while all the free-market laissez-faire regulators stood back and watched it all happen. Nice work, right-wingers. We'll be paying for your blunders for the next decade and more...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Well said. If any Democrats agree with this type of legislation, you are nothing but kool-aid drinking members of your party.
Unless your intent was to be an obstructionist, I don't know why you'd object to having the tools of obstructionism taken off the table. I mean isn't that what we were told about the Patriot Act and all that illegal spying and stuff? Why would anyone complain about that if he didn't have something to hide? Seems to me that the right-wing horse has more colors than Joseph's coat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies