U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,820,859 times

Advertisements

HOW MANY POLICE OFFICERS ARE ACTUALLY EVALUATED BY PSYCHOLOGISTS BEFORE THEY ARE GIVEN A GUN? I SWEAR NO MATTER HOW CLEAR EVIDENCE IS , THEY ALWAYS HAVE A DIFFERENT STORY!

Video (http://www.ktvu.com/video/18409133/index.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,820,859 times
Default Officer in BART shooting abruptly resigns

(01-07) 19:14 PST OAKLAND -- The BART police officer who shot an unarmed man to death on a station platform early on New Year's Day quit the force Wednesday, avoiding an interview with police internal affairs investigators trying to get to the bottom of an incident that has prompted broad outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
HOW MANY POLICE OFFICERS ARE ACTUALLY EVALUATED BY PSYCHOLOGISTS BEFORE THEY ARE GIVEN A GUN? I SWEAR NO MATTER HOW CLEAR EVIDENCE IS , THEY ALWAYS HAVE A DIFFERENT STORY!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 7,313,473 times
If there can be bad cops, there can be bad psychologists as well Seriously, watch the show "rookies", it's about rookie cops and somethings how incompetent they are...

Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM

16,876 posts, read 14,198,339 times
Quote:

akkkk, take off the caps lock.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,165,787 times
Quote:

Its supposed to be all of them......................but each state has so many different rules and the police unions in so many states, especially California, have factual control of those things..............

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 AM

11,091 posts, read 14,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Its supposed to be all of them......................but each state has so many different rules and the police unions in so many states, especially California, have factual control of those things..............
I've worked in three states as a LEO in the past and only one required a pshyc test....I've always been in favor of pre employment mental tests and mandatory quarterly drug/alcohol tests for officers(I'm sure you know what I mean Convert because I'd say you've seen the same problems within depts I have) and if they fail the drug test, FIRE THEM on the spot and make sure they never have a chance to work in another agency again as long as they live.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM

16,248 posts, read 22,989,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
If there can be bad cops, there can be bad psychologists as well Seriously, watch the show "rookies", it's about rookie cops and somethings how incompetent they are...
YOu get what you pay for. Most policemen are paid very low so the job tends to attract people from the lower socio economic ladder. We need to pay the police more and attract a better quality of candidate to the position. If it were up to me, the police would make starting $40K a year and topping out at $60K for a 10 year patrol officer. For that I would demand high quality candidates with military police experience (with honourable discharge) or at least a 2 year degree in Police Science.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I've worked in three states as a LEO in the past and only one required a pshyc test....I've always been in favor of pre employment mental tests and mandatory quarterly drug/alcohol tests for officers(I'm sure you know what I mean Convert because I'd say you've seen the same problems within depts I have) and if they fail the drug test, FIRE THEM on the spot and make sure they never have a chance to work in another agency again as long as they live.
I'm just glad they didn't rquire a spelling test

I need to quit posting before my first cup of coffee

Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,276,035 times
There certainly was an abuse of power here, I'd like to hear the whole story however ... ironically it was in NORCAL, where one of the most infamous studies on abuse of power was also conducted, where we can gain much insight on the abuse of power - The Stanford Experiment. Here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ULKNziT2w&feature=related

And although I have worked as a Peace Officer and government on different levels, California for one I hate to admit but has become a so-called "police state" where there are about 100,000 officers in the State currently, one thing we notice in government is where there is an increase in crime, the city tends to increase it's employment of officers. However an increase in officers does not guarantee a reduction in crime, it just alter it's trend. Crime is likewise a trend or a culture if you may. The solution really is to fight crime to begin with. If Californians look at the social situation from different standpoints and had a concern for their community before social dysfunction erupts perhaps they wouldn't have to relinquish quality over quantity in hiring of peace officers.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
There certainly was an abuse of power here, I'd like to hear the whole story however ... ironically it was in NORCAL, where one of the most infamous studies on abuse of power was also conducted, where we can gain much insight on the abuse of power - The Stanford Experiment. Here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ULKNziT2w&feature=related

And although I have worked as a Peace Officer and government on different levels, California for one I hate to admit but has become a so-called "police state" where there are about 100,000 officers in the State currently, one thing we notice in government is where there is an increase in crime, the city tends to increase it's employment of officers. However an increase in officers does not guarantee a reduction in crime, it just alter it's trend. Crime is likewise a trend or a culture if you may. The solution really is to fight crime to begin with. If Californians look at the social situation from different standpoints and had a concern for their community before social dysfunction erupts perhaps they wouldn't have to relinquish quality over quantity in hiring of peace officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies