Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There has to be proof that the church was targeted because of its religious affiliation...
Excuse me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Why? Gay people didn't take away the right of Christians to marry.
Ahhhh... So then, in your little world, it's perfectly acceptable for homosexuals to be violent, to destroy property, and to be hateful toward others - all because they feel they've been oppressed?

Interesting take on civilization there.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The church's position against same sex marriage and homosexuality is a hate crime?
No. Because Church has a right to not like homosexuality or refuse to recognize it. Not liking the thought of gay marriage is not a hate crime. It is unfair but not a hate crime.

It would be a hate crime if Pastors/Nuns did not allow gay people to come to worship OR if they hurt gay people physically.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No. Because Church has a right to not like homosexuality or refuse to recognize it. Not liking the thought of gay marriage is not a hate crime. It is unfair but not a hate crime.

It would be a hate crime if Pastors/Nuns did not allow gay people to come to worship OR if they hurt gay people physically.
Exactly.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I know ... It would be nice if liberals can say more nice things about conservatives instead of misrepresenting us. *sigh* Can't have everything in life.
And vice-versa....

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Maybe this violence wasn't the work of Gays at all.....maybe it was an enraged group of conservative, wealthy, right-wing Cuban immigrants, furious at the idea that a "Castro Church" was allowed to exist in the US, and determined to 'do something about it'....

Think of how the people of Baghdad might feel, if an apartment complex opened up there with the name "Bush Gardens". Not a pretty thought...right?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I don't consider that a hate crime. I don't think churches should be targeted, but they court this controversy by getting involved in the first place. If they can't stand the heat, they shouldn't be pumping millions into discriminatory ballot propositions.

Churches, or any other property shouldn't be vandalized for political reasons.

But, churches should be taxed when they decide to enter the political arena.

If ya wanna play ya gotta pay!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
The liberal mind at work!

It is a HATE CRIME no different than attacking atheists, gays, lesbians, blacks...

because there is a all out attack on Christians and their places of worship it all seems ok because they did this and we don't agree with it so lets be violent, vicious and hateful. Boy will we show them and make them regret their decisions.
Um, or it could be that I don't consider it a hate crime because the motive hasn't been established... But go ahead and blame it on the gays if you want.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Churches, or any other property shouldn't be vandalized for political reasons.

But, churches should be taxed when they decide to enter the political arena.

If ya wanna play ya gotta pay!
So should unions as well. Personally, I think those laws probiting political activity are wrong as it stifles free speech.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Ahhhh... So then, in your little world, it's perfectly acceptable for homosexuals to be violent, to destroy property, and to be hateful toward others - all because they feel they've been oppressed?

Interesting take on civilization there.
Wow, you really like to put words in people's mouths, huh? We haven't even established the motive of this alleged crime. It could be an inside job even. Maybe some kid got kicked out of the choir and decided to get revenge. Until then, I'm going to assume that it wasn't perpetrated by gays. You are totally misrepresenting my views. I said, more than five times already, that I don't condone attacks, but rather I can understand where the anger comes from. And my point was that it's pretty hypocritical for religious groups to paint themselves as martyrs about gay marriage when they were actively campaigning to take away the rights of others. It reeks of hypocrisy...much like the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies