Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

No worse than attacking grandma throwing her sign on the ground stomping on it and pushing her around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

46 posts, read 31,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I went to a Catholic school and always stood silently as everyone else did the hail marys and no one batted an eyelash at me. What you experienced was a little over the top which was unfortunate but parents do pay the religious private schools in the hopes that their kid learn more about the religion.
Over the top? Saying a "Hail Mary" at a Catholic school?

You should visit a Jewish yeshiva or Muslim school if you think Catholic schools in America are "over-the-top".

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
When did you studied education in college and did you ever take any "multicultural" classes? My experience took place in 2004.

Why are you so quick in calling someone a liar when you have not experienced what I did in college?
Because i think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
What college did you go to that was So dastardly to teach that white men are evil? You said 2 did this to you and i am assuming you took this to the chancellor/dean and spoke with him and he backed up the teachers comments?

One of my schools was a CA college and this was in 2004 as well.

IMO Here is the difference between preaching from the pulpit and preaching to a class.

Pulpit--> People are there because they WANT to be there, they already believe what you are speaking about and are easily persuaded into following YOUR direction because they want to do what is pleasing to "God" and you represent a direct connection to GOD so you speak for GOD. Many times they lack the ability to make a decision on their own and are looking to YOU for guidance.

Class--> People who are there because they are required to take the course. Not neccesarily persuaded into believing what you are speaking about because they have the ability to make decisions on their own and are NOT looking to you for guidance, instead are looking to you for a passing grade an maybe a recommendation.

So even if there are a few rogue teachers out there bring their perspectives into the class and teaching from it, the college has not authorized them to speak on their behalf. They have no legal right to speak on behalf of the college. So the college may or may not agree with the viewpoints expressed by the teacher.

Churches on the other hand DO authorize the preacher to speak on their behalf, that is their MAIN role. Preachers/Pastors/Bishops/Priests can SIGN CONTRACTS for the church on it's behalf and even after the preacher/priest leaves, the church is still obligated to fulfill the contract by law.

If a college has a teacher teaching a viewpoint and asking students to donate money to a cause or vote one way or the other they should not have their tax- exempt status removed because the teacher is not authorized to speak on behalf of the college so his opinons are his OWN.

If a church has a preacher/priest/pastor./bishop giving a sermon on a viewpoint and asking parishoners to donate money to a cause or vote one way or the other then they SHOULD have their tax exempt status removed because they absolutely are authorized to speak on behalf of the college and his opinons are that of the church as a whole.

Simple as that.

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-08-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Not everyone in California subscribes to liberalism and no political ideology should dominate at any PUBLIC university ....

Why did I attend a "liberal" public university in California:
1. I needed something close to home as I did not drive
2. I wasn't the conservative that I am today.
There are plenty of parochial colleges out there in this state. Ample oppurtunity. They have scholarships too so money is not a factor if you were able to hold your grades up.

If you were offended by public schools do what my parents did my entire childhood, send yourself to PRIVATE SCHOOL ( You can even PRAY There- shhh don't tell anyone).

Please don't make excuses as to why you continued your education at a school that obviously made you uncomfortable and went against whatever you believed.

Swastikas have been a part of tagging since LONG before gay people had pride. Usually stupid High school kids or Nazi's vandalize using that particular tag.

schools tagged swastika - Google Search
churches tagged swastika - Google Search

Where is the real evidence? Photographic evidence, Eye Witness accounts?

Or is this just more pointing of fingers? It could have been straight gay supporters. I mean who hasn't spent halloween in the castro gay OR straight?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I may or may not have gone to college, and I may or may not have both a Bachelors and Masters Degrees.

But to say so would probably be considered bragging, so I may or may not have done those things.
One who considers saying that they have a degree is bragging, probably doesn't have one. It's a pretty simple question and a pretty simple answer. "I went to college" or "I didn't go to college" are good enough. In a discussion about "liberal bias in education" (even though it has NOTHING to do with the vandalizing of a church), you really can't be saying anything if you never experienced it yourself. It'd be like me commenting on how it is to be a woman in Saudi Arabia even though I am a man and I've never been to Saudi Arabia. Or me talking about what an acid trip feels like when I've never had any acid. You can't talk about "liberal bias in colleges" when you've never been a student at one, so the question is quite valid.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Not everyone in California subscribes to liberalism and no political ideology should dominate at any PUBLIC university ....

Why did I attend a "liberal" public university in California:
1. I needed something close to home as I did not drive
2. I wasn't the conservative that I am today.
Huh? I didn't drive for two years in college, but I went to school 2000 miles away from home. One of my closest friends from childhood is blind and obviously can't drive, and he went to Brown University and he lived in California. A lot of college students don't drive...so they live near or on campus!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
One who considers saying that they have a degree is bragging, probably doesn't have one. It's a pretty simple question and a pretty simple answer. "I went to college" or "I didn't go to college" are good enough. In a discussion about "liberal bias in education" (even though it has NOTHING to do with the vandalizing of a church), you really can't be saying anything if you never experienced it yourself. It'd be like me commenting on how it is to be a woman in Saudi Arabia even though I am a man and I've never been to Saudi Arabia. Or me talking about what an acid trip feels like when I've never had any acid. You can't talk about "liberal bias in colleges" when you've never been a student at one, so the question is quite valid.
You are dead wrong on many levels - which is no surprise.

And for the record, I have both a Bachelors Degree and a Masters Degree.

And before you smart off at me, and ask me what field my degrees are in, and where I went to college, don't. I'm not going to tell you.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Not even going to attempt to read 30 pages of back and forth but it's funny how society (and those on CD who are the most upset over this) ignored for decades hate crimes against the gay folks but are fast to jump on a few militant gay groups doing these crimes. Perhaps if those who are now condemning the church attacks would have also condemned attacks against innocent gays over the years I could be more sympathetic. However, I do not condone any violence or vandalizing against churches or any group of folks. But I suppose a group can only take so much violence, discrimination, threats, attacks, and murder before they fight back. It gets tiring being treated like a second class citizen and constantly being attacked. Let's not forget gay individuals are also still being targeted and attacked on a daily basis.....not only the churches. Perhaps if the churches would stop their relentless attacks and preaching then these type of incidents wouldn't be happening.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Everything I said in that post was drawn from experiences I and some of my friends have had in college. I personally had to write that paper, and failed it for disagreeing with global warming ( specifically stated that as the reason for the failure). Ended up withdrawing from the class, which cost me about $1500 just because I didn't agree with global warming and formulated a good paper, just of the opposing viewpoint. Filed a complaint, but was rejected by the university since the "unifying theme" is not subject to debate.

As for the acceptance seminar.... I don't have that much of a problem, but I can see where others would. There is a BIG difference between tolerance and acceptance. I don't have a problem with most gays, but the cross-dressing in public flamboyant ones? Or the goths...males wearing black fingernails and using eyeliner, with the really long hair? Or th lazy apathetic slobs that play WoW all day? Or the transsexuals? I can tolerate them..... but don't expect me to accept them, I come from a very traditional Southerner and military family. And many very religious students will have an even harder time of accepting them than me.
So basically you hate anyone who is not "normal" like you. What I don't get is why you went to a school was so "liberal" if you were so intolerant and anti-liberal. You're in the south, there's plenty of options for people like you who don't believe in global warming (there's not one science department at any legitimate university that disagrees with global warming being manmade) and who think that goths and cross-dressers shouldn't be accepted. You should have gone to Bob Jones University or BYU if you wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of conservative people who don't accept anyone different from themselves. A university will promote academics and intellectualism, which are both considered "liberal" for some reason.

Do you believe in Evolution?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

For example:
1. Orientation usually includes a diversity acceptance seminar, which is different than tolerance. The law says you have to tolerate everyone, and committ no crimes against them. However, the university says you MUST accept them no matter what (a liberal view) whether or not your beliefs go along with it, or you are not welcome.

Never went to one of these orientations where ANYTHING like this was discussed. But honestly, it seems like they are trying to prevent hate crimes from occuring on their campus by warning you against it from the start.
I do believe this sounds like something legally they need to inform you of because if they don't, the college could be held liable for a students actions against another student if it falls into the category of a hate crime. This is called "covering your a**".

By stating you must accept them (not like them, love them, talk to them, just accept them for what they are) or you are not welcome on their campus probably somehow relieves them from liability if it DOES happen. A disclaimer if you will.

Wow, we are back to hate crimes.

But don't forget that it protects EVERYONE from a hate crime being committed against them. This also applies to not hating church going students, students who pray on campus, as well as students with red hair, students who are muslim, and students who are too fat to be wearing cheerleader uniforms.
Quote:

3. Most of the speeches and events are left leaning.
Not where i went. You would think differently in California no?

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-08-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies