Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I've even had a relative who was gay before he passed away from AIDS. Despite the relationship choices he made, I still loved and accepted him as the sweet person he was.
Not doubting that you loved him, but having a gay relative doesn't mean much... since he would have been your relative regardless of your feelings about homosexuality. Do you have any gay friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ahhhh, there it is... the famous slippery-slope "then people will marry dogs and multiple partners" argument. Oy vey. Personally, I have no issue with polygamy if all parties are consenting - but until an animal can sign a marriage contract and consent to the acts, your argument is desperate and ridiculous.
I wonder what slippery slope arguments people were throwing around when the subject of divorce came about?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'm very well educated myself and was educated in two liberal universities in California so ignorance is something I'm not. How does your education give you the moral superiority to call Christians ignorant, especially as a majority of the US believes in GOD? You will find out one day just how far your "educated" mind will get you without God.
Our father has made it to 61 very successfully without belief in God... and just because the majority believes in something, that doesn't make them any less ignorant. Sorry. The majority of Iraqis believe in the Q'uran, but I don't see you defending their beliefs as the "right one."

Quote:
The prophesies in the Bible have for the most part came true already so how can a book written by mere men accurately guess what will take place thousands of years into the future. The only prophesies that haven't came true are those pertaining to the end times but boy are we heading in that direction. Go ahead, place all of your trust in human science which has never been able to scientifically disproven God's existence. The only science that people have been able to show me about homosexuality relates to the acts of animals. Since animals engage in cannibalism and incest, I don't think we should be getting our moral cues from them by the way.
George Orwell also predicted MANY things correctly in his book 1984, and lots of Nostradamus' predictions have come true as well... do you worship them? And have you read Kinsey's reports on sexuality? That is just one example of many that aren't based on animal behavior.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
You guys both need to chill. I said I don't think churches should be targeted. I don't support attacks on churches. I never have and I never will. BUT...what I did say was that in such an emotionally charged issue as this, they shouldn't exactly be surprised. People who support legislation legalizing pedophilia should probably expect to be attacked at every turn. There are plenty of examples. When you do something deliberate that hurts someone else and barely affects you at all, maybe you shouldn't act like a victim. That's all I'm saying. If you need me to reiterate, I do not support attacks on churches. Geez...
so if a gay called me a "heterosexual idiot" and it made me upset and "emotionally charged" and i beat him senseless you wouldn't be surprised right? that is the same kind of thing you are comparing this to.

all of you liberal idiots that are ok with this should be shipped to south africa or something.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
I'm very well educated myself and was educated in two liberal universities in California so ignorance is something I'm not. How does your education give you the moral superiority to call Christians ignorant, especially as a majority of the US believes in GOD? You will find out one day just how far your "educated" mind will get you without God. The prophesies in the Bible have for the most part came true already so how can a book written by mere men accurately guess what will take place thousands of years into the future. The only prophesies that haven't came true are those pertaining to the end times but boy are we heading in that direction. Go ahead, place all of your trust in human science which has never been able to scientifically disproven God's existence. The only science that people have been able to show me about homosexuality relates to the acts of animals. Since animals engage in cannibalism and incest, I don't think we should be getting our moral cues from them by the way.
Wow, so now it comes out! Which "prophecies" in the bible came true? So I'm going to hell because I don't believe in a book of fairy tales? I volunteer with at-risk youth, have never voted to take rights away from anyone and always help strangers when I see them struggling with a door or a heavy box. I've never beaten anyone up who didn't deserve it and have never be anything but loving to all the women I've been with. The fact that I believe in what the intellectual elite say more than what was supposedly said by "god" and then written, re-written, translated and re-translated time and again means that I'm someone who actually puts his faith in the rational and not the irrational.

Just because more than half the people follow a cult, doesn't mean it's right! It used to be 75%...so that number is shrinking as people become more connected to one another. If you're so right, what about the 5,000,000,000 people who don't believe in your specific set of fairy tales? By definition, smart people are a minority, that's what makes them smart. Otherwise, they'd be average. Average people, the masses, are stupid. They follow blindly like sheep to the slaughter. Back in 1962 you could have said "more than 50% of the south believes that blacks shouldn't have rights, so that has to be the way it should be" and it would be exactly the same as your argument today.

Seriously, do you believe that Noah was able to put 2 of every species on a wooden boat, have them there for 40 days and not have them all starve or drown in the feces and urine that the thousands of species would obviously expel?

Fire and Brimstone Christians think they are the only ones who are right...but they're proven wrong over and over again.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Who is trying to suppress free speech? Nobody has told you to shut up, have they? If you can't handle a healthy debate or challenge of your beliefs, this probably isn't the right forum for you! And while being ridiculed for your faith isn't cool, that doesn't compare to the rights ACTUALLY being taken from gays. Have you had anyone try to take your right to practice religion, or your right to marry whom you love? If not, then don't try to compare your experiences to those of the gay community.
I'm sorry but when I stated that I won't demand that the government change the 1st amendment just because I get rediculed as a Christian, I was referring to banning free speech against Christianity. Since I am a regular poster on CD forum, I have a very high tolerance level for dissent.

And forcing churches to not speak out against homosexuality (Canada, Sweden), forcing Christian schools to hire gay teachers (anti discrimination laws), having kids learn about the naturalness of homosexuality in the public schools despite parents wishes (Massachussets), fining a photographer because he refused to photograph a lesbian ceremony (AZ or NM) or making them perform same sex marriages (anti-discrimination laws) will infringe upon the beliefs of Christians. Some of these things already occurred here in the US while others would logically follow as they are issues in other countries that have legalized same sex marriage.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Seriously. I fail to understand this.
Here's a quick 3 step method you can try:

1. Stick your fingers in your ears, squeeze your eyes tightly closed and sing la la la over and over.

2. Lean as far over to your right side as you possibly can.

3. Try to imagine that only people who are heterosexual and Christian and leaning the same way you are currently leaning, are the only ones who know the truth about Everything and that everything they say is actually logical especially if it is from the Bible. Anyone outside these parameters is always wrong.

Practice this 10 times a day for the rest of your life...then you might begin to understand.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Our father has made it to 61 very successfully without belief in God... and just because the majority believes in something, that doesn't make them any less ignorant. Sorry. The majority of Iraqis believe in the Q'uran, but I don't see you defending their beliefs as the "right one."

George Orwell also predicted MANY things correctly in his book 1984, and lots of Nostradamus' predictions have come true as well... do you worship them? And have you read Kinsey's reports on sexuality? That is just one example of many that aren't based on animal behavior.
Kinsey got his data through child molestation so I take his research with a grain of salt.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
And forcing churches to not speak out against homosexuality (Canada, Sweden), forcing Christian schools to hire gay teachers (anti discrimination laws), having kids learn about the naturalness of homosexuality in the public schools despite parents wishes (Massachussets), fining a photographer because he refused to photograph a lesbian ceremony (AZ or NM) or making them perform same sex marriages (anti-discrimination laws) will infringe upon the beliefs of Christians. Some of these things already occurred here in the US while others would logically follow as they are issues in other countries that have legalized same sex marriage.
Here is one thing we agree on...I don't think any private institution should ever be forced to adhere to laws on hiring minorities...but public ones should. I don't agree with forcing Hooters to hire guys or fat chicks as waitresses and I don't agree with Lips (the Drag Queen Bar) being forced to hire rednecks. However, being for prop 8, you are forcing churches to adhere to state laws. Some churches volunteered to grant gay marriages, but then other religious nuts got angry and forced the amendment on them. Nobody is saying your church has to marry gay people, they're saying your church should have the right to do so! It should also have the right to deny gay marriages, but the state should NOT be involved except to allow all churches to practice their religion how they see fit.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but when I stated that I won't demand that the government change the 1st amendment just because I get rediculed as a Christian, I was referring to banning free speech against Christianity. Since I am a regular poster on CD forum, I have a very high tolerance level for dissent.
I knew what you meant... still don't understand the concept, though, since I haven't heard of anyone trying to ban speech against Christians - or gays for that matter. Maybe there's one loony out there, but the majority of Americans are cool with allowing dissent.

Quote:
I think you either misunderstand how these laws work, or you're reading too much biased news... for one, nobody can be FORCED to hire a gay person, especially if they aren't qualified for the job. Anti-discrimination laws only protect employees from being discriminated against for BEING gay, and/or not being hired based on that one detail. There is nobody gay at my workplace (at least not at my regular site), and we have anti-discrimination laws that cover sexual orientation. And no church has been or will be forced to perform any type of ceremony, so that is just anti-gay propaganda they're feeding you. Unless the church starts paying taxes, they are exempt from federal laws such as those... just as the Rabbi at my childhood Synagogue refused to marry inter-faith couples, any priest/minister/etc. could refuse a gay couple if they so desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies