Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That still doesn't explain why you see it as a gay versus straight issue. Do I have to repeat myself? Forty-eight percent of the state voted to retain same-sex marriage rights; this is pretty good proof that it wasn't a straight versus gay issue.

If it had been straight versus gay, the vote would have been something like 90-10.
What percentage of the gay community oppose gay marriage? What percentage on both sides are undecided and didn't bother to vote? The rest voted yes on prop 8. Using your numbers, 42.2% of the strait vote (assuming 0% gay prop 8 support) went against prop 8 leaving 57.8% of the strait vote in favor of prop 8. Still pretty strong numbers for a solidly blue state. Outside of black support for black candidates, it's hard to get 57.8% of any group to agree about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Homosexuals can marry. Just not members of the same sex. Like everybody else.

The sodomofascists who did this ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. So much for the perverted social liberal idea of "tolerance".
And when same-sex marriage is eventually legalised- which it will be - you too will be able to marry someone of the same sex if that's what you want. Just like everybody else.

Would you feel just as outraged if the grafitti were anti-gay slogans? Somehow I doubt it.

How about putting a little more perspective on it. The graffiti has already been washed off. There was no damage to the walls.

While it sounds like you would be happy for the people responsible to be literally hung drawn and quartered, if caught and prosecuted, they can expect a fine up to $1000 and between 48 to 200 hours community service. I too hope they will "be prosecuted to the full extent of the law." But only that.

Quote:
California § 640.6. Penalties for Affixing Graffiti on Real or Personal Property.
(a) (1) Except as provided in Section 640.5, any person who defaces with graffiti or other inscribed material any real or personal property not his or her own, when the amount of the defacement, damage, or destruction is less than $250, is guilty of an infraction, punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000. This subdivision does not preclude application of Section 594.
In addition to the penalty set forth in this section, the court shall order the defendant to perform a minimum of 48 hours of community service not to exceed 200 hours over a period not to exceed 180 days during a time other than his or her hours of school attendance or employment.
NYGC | Gang-Related Legislation—Graffiti (http://www.iir.com/nygc/gang-legis/graffiti.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Ceist; 01-09-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What percentage of the gay community oppose gay marriage? What percentage on both sides are undecided and didn't bother to vote? The rest voted yes on prop 8. Using your numbers, 42.2% of the strait vote (assuming 0% gay prop 8 support) went against prop 8 leaving 57.8% of the strait vote in favor of prop 8. Still pretty strong numbers for a solidly blue state. Outside of black support for black candidates, it's hard to get 57.8% of any group to agree about anything.
Your numbers don't make sense to me - nor does your point. I'm not surprised by either.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So the majority should rule over the minority?

That does not fair and does not give every single citizen of the USA equal rights. So what about the liberty and justice for all?

It does not exist unless you are straight, white, or Christian I suppose.
hahahahah.....are you serious? of course the majority should rule you stinking genius. you might as well take away our right to vote if you think that way about the majority ruling. i'm sure if the majority voted FOR gay marriage you wouldn't be saying that. you liberals sure are weird. i seriously have a hard time coming DOWN to your level of thinking.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
hahahahah.....are you serious? of course the majority should rule you stinking genius. you might as well take away our right to vote if you think that way about the majority ruling. i'm sure if the majority voted FOR gay marriage you wouldn't be saying that. you liberals sure are weird. i seriously have a hard time coming DOWN to your level of thinking.
The majority has often not gotten it's way in cases of civil rights.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
If they were discrete about their homosexuality as far as not discussing their sexuality (this also goes for heterosexuals) and that they dress appropriately for the job, then I would not have a problem with it. I understand some men want to dress like women and vice versa, but that has no place in the classroom and neither does discussing their private lives.
A homosexual is not necessarily a cross-dresser, and a cross-dresser is not necessarily a homosexual. Where are you from, 1950?

My gay teachers were just like my straight teachers. Like I've mentioned many times before, my 1st and 2nd grade teacher was a gay man who later died of AIDS, only 1 in 30 of the boys in my classes ended up being gay, exactly in line with national average figures.

The stuff you say about "if they dress appropriately for the job" and "not discussing their sexuality" as teachers is simply pathetic. One must go through a lot of training to become a teacher and those who do are generally quite dedicated to teaching. A teacher (I should know, I've worked as one) NEVER talks about sexuality and always dresses as a teacher should. As a role model for students, a teacher (gay or straight) would never cross-dress to class (unless maybe on Halloween...plus, any boy who is baptised is cross-dressed in that little white dress) and a teacher would certainly not talk about sexuality in any class other than biology or sex education. You got upset when I said you were ignorant, but the comment about cross-dressing proves it. A VERY slim percentage of gays are cross-dressers and most gays really dislike them. Case-in-point: my boss is a gay poster child (in the conservative paper the "San Diego Union-Tribune" he and his partner had an article on the front page on why they were not going to get married before the right was taken away) and he says that he is afraid of drag queens. Really, try learning something other than the backwards stuff you hear in church.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDIWHOHAH View Post
Can I also arbitrarily make up new rights as it suits me the way the gay community has done? Who ever said gays have the right to marry their own sex? Besides five activist justices legislating from the bench by erringly deciding a fraudulent case, who ever said anyone has the right to get an abortion? How about sore loser gays not trying to take away the real rights of the people who attended that church they trashed? Deal with that before you talk down to everyone else about stepping on your imagined rights.
Who said blacks have the right to be free?
Who said women have the right to vote?
Who said YOU have the right to express yourself freely?
What, do you actually think we've had the same rights for all eternity?
Ever hear of the Magna Carta?
The Constitution of the United States?
The Geneva Convention?
Oh wait, you probably don't believe the Geneva Convention should exist...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I never said it was fine. I know you can read. Don't try to fool me.

And I never said that it's an "atrocity" if gays don't get "their way".

I don't even look at this as a "gay versus straight" issue. As so many conveniently like to forget, 48% of Californians voted to retain same-sex marriage rights. It would be great if 48% of Californians were gay (), but that's not the case. There were a LOT of straight people who voted to keep same-sex marriage.

So, it's not a matter of gays getting their way, it's a matter of wanting to see everyone treated with respect and dignity.
I'm a registered Republican, a heterosexual male living with my girlfriend and a volunteer coach who has also taught middle school science. I voted against Proposition 8 because it is wrong to take rights away from people in a place that is supposed to be the "land of the free". It is wrong to allow churches to dictate how the rest of us live our lives and it is wrong for people who no nothing about homosexuality to be the ones that effectively make committed homosexual couples second class citizens. Only ~3% of people are gay, but an additional 45% supported gay rights. The people I know who were against it were the ones who are truly homophobic: "don't let anyone think you voted no on 8" was a way to trash talk at my baseball games. That's all it's about, irrational fear and ignorance.

Last edited by Pug Life; 01-09-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Then tell your brother to refrain from name calling as personal attacks violates CD forum rules. You are a moderator, right?
It is against the TOS to call out a moderator. Congrats on violating the TOS of City-data.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
forcing Christian schools to hire gay teachers (anti discrimination laws).
This is a bold faced lie.

My family started a christian school with over 600 students in attendance currently and they do not HAVE to hire gay teachers. No more than they HAVE to hire black teachers or German teachers. They CAN if they choose to, but they DO NOT HAVE TO.

This is a employ-at-will state and employers can do just about anything they want without having to justify it.

Once hired, you have to be careful to give both verbal and written warnings if you don't want to have to pay for unemployment for your fired employee- but they WILL STILL remain fired even if you don't provide that documentation because this is an at-will state.

Stop making things up to satisfy your point of view.

Gay people getting married has nothing to do with Christnan Schools having to hire them. Dumb comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies