Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
This is an attack on the heritage of California in itself being that Catholicism in literly entwinned with the state's history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'll ask it one more time... how does that imply they were GAY? I could be considered a gay rights activist, and so are many other straight people here.
Obviously, we cannot know the sexual orientation of the vandals until they are (hopefully) arrested, but the press reports point to gay rights activists, which is what I was refering to when I said "gay".

Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
I'll ask it one more time... how does that imply they were GAY? I could be considered a gay rights activist, and so are many other straight people here.
I agree with you, of course, and I would have been fine if the headline said "Prop. 8 activists" or "Same-sex marriage supporters", but given the facts that are known so far, to say that it was "gays" who committed the crime is simply inflammatory and motivated by a desire to cast gay people in a negative light. (Gee, what a shocker. People usually never do that. )

Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I just wrote this in my last post, but to say it again, they weren't targeted for BEING Catholic... so no, that highlighted word isn't fully relevant. I don't agree with their actions, btw, but labeling it a hate crime is a stretch.
They were absolutely being targetted for being Catholic.
1. The graffati is a slap at the Pope.
2. The Parish itself opposed Prop. 8 yet is being vandalized because of the Catholic church's stance & teaching on the subject of Gay Marriage.

How the heck can you reach that conclusion?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
the press reports point to gay rights activists, which is what I was refering to when I said "gay".
I don't think it even said "gay rights activists". Now, yes, one could assume that they are gay rights activists if they were motivated by the passage of Prop. 8, but Prop. 8 isn't necessarily about gay rights. The passage of Prop. 8 abolished rights for everyone, not just gays.

Just as many like to point out that gays are currently equal to straights because they have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straights do, same-sex marriage did not require either party to be homosexual; everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, had a right to marry someone of the same sex.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think it even said "gay rights activists". Now, yes, one could assume that they are gay rights activists if they were motivated by the passage of Prop. 8, but Prop. 8 isn't necessarily about gay rights. The passage of Prop. 8 abolished rights for everyone, not just gays.

Just as many like to point out that gays are currently equal to straights because they have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straights do, same-sex marriage did not require either party to be homosexual; everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, had a right to marry someone of the same sex.
True, But I have'nt been hearing about many Hetrosexuals picketing churches & temples recently because they could'nt call their Civil Union a "marriage".

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you.
You can cut the hypocrisy with a knife. Classic liberalism!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
True, But I have'nt been hearing about many Hetrosexuals picketing churches & temples recently because they could'nt call their Civil Union a "marriage".
Hmm. But how do you know that the protesters you've heard about are gay? Has anyone asked the protesters about their sexual orientations?

Forty-eight percent of the voters in California voted to retain same-sex marriage rights/privileges. Now, it would be great if 48% of Californians were gay (), but I'm pretty sure there were at least a few heterosexuals among those who voted "No" on Prop. 8.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
You guys both need to chill. I said I don't think churches should be targeted. I don't support attacks on churches. I never have and I never will. BUT...what I did say was that in such an emotionally charged issue as this, they shouldn't exactly be surprised. People who support legislation legalizing pedophilia should probably expect to be attacked at every turn. There are plenty of examples. When you do something deliberate that hurts someone else and barely affects you at all, maybe you shouldn't act like a victim. That's all I'm saying. If you need me to reiterate, I do not support attacks on churches. Geez...

So in conclusion, it's OK to destroy a house of worship because you disagree with them on some political issue, but don't ever call someone a f#g because that's a hate crime. I do have to give the gay community as a whole props for doing far more to discredit their own cause than any outside organization could have ever dreamed possible.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
The church wasn't burned... they painted graffiti on the wall.
Shows how easily the truth can get distorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies