Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's just hype. A government can never go bankrupt as long as it as the ability to tax. I don't like debt either. The first political organization I ever joined was the Concord Coalition devoted to paying down the debt. What you basically saying is do nothing. That's not an option for those serious about getting out of this mess.
Then explain what happened to the USSR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
This came out just today.

More tax experts and economists saying Obama is going the wrong way with certain tax cuts.

washingtonpost.com
Neither are people who built and developed their own business. Both are people who study economy from the outside without real world experience.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Listen to what Krugman is telling you:

Other things equal, public investment is a much better way to provide economic stimulus than tax cuts, for two reasons. First, if the government spends money, that money is spent, helping support demand, whereas tax cuts may be largely saved.

Americans in distress — unemployment benefits, food stamps, etc..

He is outright saying it's not good for you to save your money it's better sent to unemployment and food stamps where (since times are rough and food and such is needed) it's guaranteed to be spent. Even the economist are focused in on spend spend spend. Is that not frightening or is that just a sign of the times where savings matter no more?

No Krugman would agree with you on a personal level. It IS better for YOU to have more savings and pay less taxes. He's speaking on a macro level. It IS better for Americans not to save NOW but rather spend more now. On a macro level it's better for the government to deficit spend on infrastucture and job creating enterprise. But on a personal level you should attempt to lessen your taxes and save more...This is not that complicated.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then explain what happened to the USSR?

The government in Russia is still there, it never stopped being there, and it never once lost the ability to raise revenue.

Next????

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Well I'm just a concerned citizen and I understand the argument better now.

I'm still filing my tax returns ASAP...just in case..

Last edited by BigJon3475; 01-07-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: fixing the aixelsyd

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The government in Russia is still there, it never stopped being there, and it never once lost the ability to raise revenue.

Next????
I didn't say Russia. I asked about the USSR, aka the Soviet Union, which collapsed under the weight of it's communist government and lack of economy. The Soviet Union broke apart, several groups went back to being their own independent nation, and Russia was left all alone. Russia is now trying to repeat the mistakes it made in the past.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I didn't say Russia. I asked about the USSR, aka the Soviet Union, which collapsed under the weight of it's communist government and lack of economy. The Soviet Union broke apart, several groups went back to being their own independent nation, and Russia was left all alone. Russia is now trying to repeat the mistakes it made in the past.

Yes yes all the different areas that comprised the USSR never went a day without a goverment. The names and actors changed but they continued to have governments and government spending...They never went a day without a government.

That's not bankruptcy...which doesn't even apply to governments...LOL

Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Boy, you must have missed everything that happened with the fall of the Soviet Union. I went to some of those former Soviet Nations, including Ukraine back in 1995 and 1996. They were finally able to begin to rebuild their nation and economy without being starved to death by the Communist government. I met and got to know some of the locals. The last thing they ever want is to return to living under the boot of the Russian Communist dictators.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 AM

46 posts, read 31,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Saving and personal debt reduction might seem like good ideas from an individual standpoint, but that's the worst that could happen from a societal perspective.
I'd like to understand that. Anyone?

If I'm an individual drowning in debt, the best thing I could do for my children and grandchildren is to get out of debt and have savings. I cannot see why the macro picture would be any different.

If I have to stop buying and "consuming" and start producing and working to accomplish this, then why wouldn't it be the same for the nation as a whole?

The US government adding $1 trillion more to the deficit is the wrong direction.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 AM

46 posts, read 31,222 times
Quote:

Next????
The USSR imploded and the currency collapsed. Sure North America will be here, but what happens when the dollar collapses or people lose confidence in it?

The US dollar is not backed by gold, but the "US Government"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies