Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM

932 posts, read 1,674,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Several people have mentioned he was resisting.

I don't care why he was grabbed by the "thug cops".

Why so hostile? You seem to have an issue with law enforcement, and a resistance to the possibility that this person ultimately (albeit inadvertantly) caused his own death.

When the cops grab you, you can do one of two things:

1. Cooperate and if you've been wronged, demand justice
2. Resist and, maybe, die

Of course, things do happen and you may die either way. But it only makes sense to reduce that possibility.
When you watch the video then you can respond, but of course you love this because it fits right in with your stereotypes.

You never fail to amaze me!

He did not resist. One cop had his knee on him when the cop stood up and shot him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,946,738 times
Quote:

Why so hostile? You seem to have an issue with law enforcement, and a resistance to the possibility that this person ultimately (albeit inadvertantly) caused his own death.

Of course, things do happen and you may die either way. But it only makes sense to reduce that possibility.
So what's your point if a person invadvertantly caused his own death?

You shouldn't have to die from police brutality or police incompetence. That's what goes on in dictatorships, and third world countries...we strive against this here in the US

Only a wing nut would place partial blame on someone's death because he was giving cops a hard time.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 AM

932 posts, read 1,674,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So what's your point if a person invadvertantly caused his own death?

You shouldn't have to die from police brutality or police incompetence. That's what goes on in dictatorships, and third world countries...we strive against this here in the US
To her, every black person is a thug and whatever they do, they caused their own death.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,570,897 times
Quote:

I do have an issue with law enforcement, for reasons clearly seen in the video. I don't want my children to end up like Oscar Grant III. I can tell you from experience that demanding justice often does not work........Don't you think you should care why an innocent, unarmed civilian was grabbed by the cops in the first place? Were the several people who said he was resisting wearing police uniforms? No law-abiding citizen who was unarmed can cause his own death. He was killed by an incompetent cop.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Nothing is. You can only do your best to reduce risk.

Hey maybe from your perspective they should pack a weapon and kill any cop before the cop gets a chance to kill them. Teach 'em to be proactive, right?
Whatever. From your perspective anything that wears a uniform is always right, and if a taxpayer gets killed, well, it was his damn fault.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,394,611 times
I didn't see the video. He's a black guy? Wow.

Never defended the cop's competence either.

I said we should all try not to put ourselves in harm's way any worse than we already are.

Feel free to villify me. I'm used to it.

"Whatever", is right.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,532,561 times
Quote:

I said we should all try not to put ourselves in harm's way any worse than we already are.

"Whatever", is right.
So, you didn't see the video? Then really, how do you know what happened & who to blame for this? Why don't you check out the video & get back to us.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

"Whatever", is right.
Yes, you did not see the video. Therefore, you are not even minimally qualified to comment on the situation, especially not with the assumptions you made. Just how did you come to your conclusions then? He did nothing to put himself in harm's way. I repeat: he did nothing to put himself in harm's way, yet he ended up dead. What's the justice in that?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,336,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why are you so quick to jump on this cop? Experts have looked at it and it appears he thought he was drawing his taser....Hence he shot...when his partner was still stooping down next to the victim.

It makes no sense he would kill at the range. There was no need for it. It may very well be involuntary manslaughter not murder.
Bunch of BS. There was no NEED for even a taser, and if the cop didn't know the difference, that's pretty bad!

The guy was literally sitting on the sidelines. What more can we say? The cops went over there and started harrassing him, and killed him execution-style.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,199,438 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this is the breed of kids who are now coming of age.

The "you can't touch me!!" bunch.

Right up from elementary school, parents have coddled their kids and protected them from bullies. Protected them from teachers who scold them ("how DARE you scold my child!!"). Hell, protected them from germs.

Here's the batch that we've produced. Two types:

1. Crybabies who can't hack real life; they run to their lawyers if someone says something that offends them.

2. Thugs who believe that they're invincible and nobody can touch them. These same people turn around and injure, rob, rape, and shoot others at will.

This guy might have been doing nothing but would have done well to cooperate with the cops.

No, of COURSE it was wrong to shoot him (didn't see the video) obviously. But fact is, he'd be alive right now if he'd shown some damn diplomacy.
This post wins my "asinine post of the week" award. Gimme a break. Guy is killed for NOTHING and your response to it is, "well maybe if he was a bit nicer". 2+2=5 in your case. I used to have such a respect for law enforcement but not anymore. Almost any idiot can be a cop these days. I've said this time and time again they need to have at least an associates, operate on a national license that if revoked revokes it in ALL states, and start being held accountable for their actions. I am sick and TIRED of how when abuse from crap officers come out, instead of being fired they are given desk jobs. If I as a nurse so much as cussed a patient out, no matter how verbally abusive they were being, I'd be fired and quite possibly be reprimanded by the board of nursing for that state. A cop on the other hand can grab you by the throat for nothing and not have to worry about so much as a slap on the wrist.

Last edited by Kereczr; 01-09-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies