Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Folks, FOlks, FOlks, I have seen several postings now stating the guy was resisting the cop some how.

What that youngster was doing wasnt resisting arrest, I kno. I have had some serious knock down drag out fights with people.

I say again the young man WASNT resisting arrest, this is a good example of resisting arrest
YouTube - Cop VS. Crazed Criminal = Unbelievable Street Fight
Do you notice that no one is dead at the end and do you notice that solid citizens rush in to HELP .......................
Dont buy into to this clap trap that telling a cop to F off is resisting, its not.

25 years of my life I gave , I was shot, stabbed, and rolled a squad car at 100MPH. I have had my teeth knocked loose, I have scars you cant imagine, I have some bad times late at night when it is really still and I see the faces of many many a poor lost soul, especially the faces of the children. Some one has to cry for the children..........Is it you. No you dont see them.

Corny as it may sound I still believe in TRUTH-JUSTICE-AND THE AMERICAN WAY.........................that young man did NOTHING to deserve being tased, shot, arrested or hardly talked to beyond a scolding for doing young man stupid things.

I regret to say the badge of that which I dedicated MY life too is tarnished............
AMEN!!!! And I'm outta rep for you right now,but I'll catch up to you later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I do not at all think this was justified but it is obvious that the man was resisting. I don't know why some people don't learn that, if the police tell you to do something, you must obey and do what the police tell you to do. If people did, less of them would get hurt or killed. You don't argue the policeman, call him names, fight with him or run from him. You do what he tells you to do and you will be fine.
I thought the police were public servants. I didn't realize we all had to bow down to them in fear for our lives. There was no excuse for this. If the police are so afraid for their lives when dealing with the people who likely pay their salaries, they should find another profession.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Unfortunately this is the breed of kids who are now coming of age.

The "you can't touch me!!" bunch.

Right up from elementary school, parents have coddled their kids and protected them from bullies. Protected them from teachers who scold them ("how DARE you scold my child!!"). Hell, protected them from germs.

Here's the batch that we've produced. Two types:

1. Crybabies who can't hack real life; they run to their lawyers if someone says something that offends them.

2. Thugs who believe that they're invincible and nobody can touch them. These same people turn around and injure, rob, rape, and shoot others at will.

This guy might have been doing nothing but would have done well to cooperate with the cops.

No, of COURSE it was wrong to shoot him (didn't see the video) obviously. But fact is, he'd be alive right now if he'd shown some damn diplomacy.
How do you know he didn't show some "damn diplomacy" when you admit you haven't bothered watching the video?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
The people at the train station made the situation worse by verbally attacking the cops. And not only verbally attacking but approaching the scene when and looking like they wanted to start a fight. Cops are humans too. The fault lies in the blacks for acting barbaric. They made the shooting happen and I know you may disagree with that. But its true.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you serious or actually being sarcastic? Who wouldn't get uncomfortable around a crowd of unruly bystanders? Especially in that area. It would have been best had the onlookers just kept their mouths shut. Heckling the police never helps the situation. Quietly videoing the situation is fine, but other than that, just stay out of it.

Otherwise, the actions of the resulting riots make me feel less sympathetic to the wrong doing. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I'm tired of seeing the black victim/racist card being so quickly played again. No wonder there's still such a thing as white flight. Who wants to live in a neighborhood where the people are so quick to throw a temper tantrum and trash completely innocent people's property while they are doing it?
I hope if some cop is harassing me, courageous American's look out for me and make sure these gangsters aren't abusing me, which everyone now knows they are prone to do.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you serious or actually being sarcastic? Who wouldn't get uncomfortable around a crowd of unruly bystanders? Especially in that area. It would have been best had the onlookers just kept their mouths shut. Heckling the police never helps the situation. Quietly videoing the situation is fine, but other than that, just stay out of it.

Otherwise, the actions of the resulting riots make me feel less sympathetic to the wrong doing. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I'm tired of seeing the black victim/racist card being so quickly played again. No wonder there's still such a thing as white flight. Who wants to live in a neighborhood where the people are so quick to throw a temper tantrum and trash completely innocent people's property while they are doing it?
It's because of people like you that the Nazi's got away with what they did for so long.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Why did the police officer resign? I thought in cases like this, police are usually given administrative leave pending the outcome. Is this some sort of admission of wrong-doing?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
This is weird too, from the article:

The police officer, Johannes Mehserle, 27, has gotten a lawyer and submitted a letter of resignation rather than answer questions at the Internal Affairs interview.
The officer also apparently released a statement
"Mehserle is described as "devastated" over the shooting, but has yet to give a statement to investigators. Johnson said the delay was caused when Mehserle's attorney showed up at the station within two hours of the shooting and invoked the officer's right to "retain counsel and not say anything."

Why not give a statement to the investigators? So he still hasn't given a statement and has resigned? They always say the moments immediately after an incident are the best times to address an incident. How will this effect the outcome?

Admittedly, I don't know police procedure, but when I read stuff like this it makes the whole scene look suspect, so I have to wonder what the police officer & BART are hiding?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:09 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Why did the police officer resign? I thought in cases like this, police are usually given administrative leave pending the outcome. Is this some sort of admission of wrong-doing?
I would say it's a panic thing with the officer and since he wasn't fired,it was HIS call.Convert probably knows this all to well(unfortunately for him,because it's a burden)....A JUSTIFIABLE use of deadly force will make an honest cop almost lose his mind thinking about it and the persons family who you had to dust will wear on your mind constantly and the scene will replay over and over in your head.That's WITH support from fellow officers,the public and all of the other things that go along with it.BUT.....

This idiot MURDERED a person in cold blood regardless of his "intentions",so I'd say this guy is probably suffering through a living hell right now...I would be willing to bet that his fellow officers are probably treating him like an outsider now,the public hates him and he's caused rioting in the city he was once sworn to protect,he has just began a completely new and unfamiliar road where he doesn't view himself as the knight on a white horse being listened to and commanding respect,but now he's a 'bad guy" who is out of the loop and I'm sure it's driving him insane.I hate to say it,but there is a good chance he will commit suicide prior to any trial.THAT happens a lot in the LEO world.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
He resigned because under Weingarten decision as applied to police unions he was compelled to provide statements to the investigators. By resigning he can avoid that and invoke Miranda and apply self incrimination..........simple huh?

Yeah I agree with Mule that this kid will probably eat his barrell before its over with. If he has any modicum of remorse at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies