Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I generally don't tell anyone about my guns specifically and their precise location.
If the gun were in easy access for the 4 year old, the babysitter should have known about it.

It's called a "reasonable man" theory. What would a reasonable person do?

And if the babysitter were putting the dishes in the dishwasher, cleaning up something else the kid was doing, in the bathroom, etc.

Have you ever been a babysitter?

Guns should be locked up at all times when not in use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It's like speaking to 4 year olds on this forum especially when it comes to firearms. I tell you no wonder there are so many kids getting a hold of firearms over there because there is no proper education or regulations when it comes to properly housing firearms, which if i may add are dangerous weapons.

Anyone could easily break into so called "gun cabinets" there with smashing through the glass its pethetic. But as usual alot of these "supposed to be responsible gun owners" don't even have the proper housing they keep their guns lying on the floor, in the kitchen drawer or under their pillow

That in itself is reckless endangerment. You play with fire eventually your gonna get burned.

I'll give you an example I have a compound hunting bow, it is also a firearm in its own right but i still keep it where it should be (when not in use) my bow case, same should apply to a gun. Then theres my remington 700 and my shotguns, all clean and put away in my gun safe where only I can have access. You don't want it in the wrong hands afterall.
New York City and Washington D.C. (for example), both have very strict gun laws. So in that case, "only" the bad guys have guns which is what happens when gun laws are put in place.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If the gun were in easy access for the 4 year old, the babysitter should have known about it.

It's called a "reasonable man" theory. What would a reasonable person do?

And if the babysitter were putting the dishes in the dishwasher, cleaning up something else the kid was doing, in the bathroom, etc.

Have you ever been a babysitter?

From the article I read a teenager was the babysitter and there were several teens there. Sounds to me like the teens were being teens and had no business babysitting.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
New York City and Washington D.C. (for example), both have very strict gun laws. So in that case, "only" the bad guys have guns which is what happens when gun laws are put in place.
I understand where your coming from and I know D.C has a reputation of having high gun crime due to the handgun ban. That's understandable as criminals use guns there as opposed to here. We just get knife crime in isolated pockets outside Glasgow but never hear anything else as serious as murder around here.

Edinburgh will get crime too but im speaking of my area.

I've seen the stats for Detroit, Miami, LA, New Orleans, Camden and Glasgow and Edinburgh don't have a look in when it comes to the murders there. We don't have such a culture of gang violence or drive by shootings.

I've been to (pop over 100,000+)

New York, NY
Newark, NJ
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
Atlanta, GA
Birmingham, AL
Memphis, TN

Out of all of those i'd say i felt most safe in New York, Charlotte, Columbia and Atlanta. The rest i didn't feel comfortable and there were alot of run down areas unlike Glasgow. Or any city i've been to in Europe.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I understand where your coming from and I know D.C has a reputation of having high gun crime due to the handgun ban. That's understandable as criminals use guns there as opposed to here. We just get knife crime in isolated pockets outside Glasgow but never hear anything else as serious as murder around here.

Edinburgh will get crime too but im speaking of my area.

I've seen the stats for Detroit, Miami, LA, New Orleans, Camden and Glasgow and Edinburgh don't have a look in when it comes to the murders there. We don't have such a culture of gang violence or drive by shootings.

I've been to (pop over 100,000+)

New York, NY
Newark, NJ
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
Atlanta, GA
Birmingham, AL
Memphis, TN

Out of all of those i'd say i felt most safe in New York, Charlotte, Columbia and Atlanta. The rest i didn't feel comfortable and there were alot of run down areas unlike Glasgow. Or any city i've been to in Europe.
Just curious here. Isn't it England that has the problems with the skinheads? As far as feeling safe in New York (husband is a former New Yorker) and it depends upon which areas you go into. Nightly news when I was there for 2 months this past year had broadcasts of violence almost nightly. Georgia has one heck of a problem with the illegals.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Just curious here. Isn't it England that has the problems with the skinheads? As far as feeling safe in New York (husband is a former New Yorker) and it depends upon which areas you go into. Nightly news when I was there for 2 months this past year had broadcasts of violence almost nightly. Georgia has one heck of a problem with the illegals.
Skinheads are a thing of the past. You mean chavs? We have them here too don't worry there are alot in London along with shootings. London is never off the news, its a shame.

You get chavs that live in run down areas of the Glasgow area but i hardly see any.

You just gotta know the "no go" areas and you'll be fine, not that we have many be they do exist.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Has anyone asked the kid what the babysitter was doing?

I had access to firearms when I was a four year old until I left at 14. Fortunately for my drunken step-father I realized that killing the bastard would cost me more than it was worth. Leaving was easier and cheaper.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Ha no wonder! You are using outdated stats from 2003. Thats 6 years ago. Please see below my "up-to-date" stats of 2008 it is more accurate information that proves my point.

Furthermore, when we say gun crime its air guns not handguns. There hasn't been a handgun incident here since Dunblane my dear.

I'm not the one that is wrong:

Gun Crime Falling As Macaskill Urges New Air Weapon Controls (from The Herald )

Gun crime in Scotland drops but 211 still killed or wounded - The Daily Record

You stated earlier:

Quote:
Handguns were banned afterwards and gun crime has not risen you do the math.

And it did. You were wrong. Stats for the U.K. show it did.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The "poor" areas of all cities are more violent because they do not have any other law. The cops are too busy protecting the good places in town to worry about the poor. Besides if there weren't slums where would the good folks go to gamble and rut around.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, they should only be locked up when there is a very good reason to do so. Otherwise they should be readily available in case they're needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies