Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I read something that Obama wants to start a Mandatory Military Service. Other countries have this and I was wondering ..
I am somewhat familiar with the system of conscription in Israel, but you have to realize, Israel is in many ways a special case.

After high school, men are obligated to serve 3 years and women 2. There are some exceptions: married women, ultra-religious yeshiva students, religious minorities, and conscientious objectors (though this exception is extremely difficult to obtain).

Quote:
1. What benefits do the young people receive in the places where it is mandatory,
In Israel, military service is an obligation, so the "benefits" are basic civil rights. If you required to serve (not all Israelis are) and you do serve, you won't be treated as a second-class citizen.

Quote:
2. What's it like for them do they get to go to school, is it a full-time thing or like the reserves, etc.
No, mandatory service is a full-time thing in Israel. FULL-TIME.

Quote:
3. And how is mandatory service perceived in those places? Do the citizens think it is a bad or good thing?
For most people, it's just a part of life. Israel is also perpetually on the brink of an invasion, so conscription and routine military training of most of the population is understood as a necessity. This is where you have a big difference with the US. The US is not perpetually on the brink of an invasion, so mandatory military service would doubtless be perceived very differently.

Quote:
4. Also what do you guys think about it's implementation here?
See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Greatday - that "accident" happened more than once. Just like not seeing the VC that was about to shoot an officer that set you and others up for recieving a perfect ambush.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
as a people moving very fast towards forced servitude.
it will mask itself under many false labels--- hopeless bebt, community service, civil patrol, military, homeless camps, but it is coming soon.
1st we make wage slaves in other countries ---then we enslave our own people.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I volunteered for the Navy to avoid the Military draft. Wound up in the Riverine Forces in Nam anyway.

I believe every kid should be drafted between high school and the rest of their life but not necessarily serve in the military. There is plenty to do for the country that does not involve military action but every citizen or illegal alien should serve.
I agree.

Two of my elder brothers were drafted. I volunteered.

When I got to my first boat, I was the first guy there who had not been a draft-dodger. They had each gone to college to avoid the draft, then when they had each graduated, they had low numbers, so instead of waiting for the draft board to tell them when to report for infantry, they went down and volunteered for sub-duty.

At that time the sub fleet was almost entirely manned with college grads who had volunteered for subs rather than being drafted into the infantry.

LOL

That aside every citizen should serve before they are allowed to vote. It does not matter what capacity they serve in. whether military, forestry, DOT, or Public Works.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
During 'Nam - we took care of weenies like you - I mean, you were so stupid to bring a grenade back to your bunk? How could you - and then, let it slip to the floor with the pin out? Really stinkin' stupd
Weenie? Nope, I just hate the federal government, and will never support it in any way, shape or form. I'd be happy to fight...when a state secedes. And I'm not stupid: in that situation I'd strike first. Can't create an "accident" when you're dead, now, can you?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Weenie? Nope, I just hate the federal government, and will never support it in any way, shape or form. I'd be happy to fight...when a state secedes. And I'm not stupid: in that situation I'd strike first. Can't create an "accident" when you're dead, now, can you?
Actually - I was referring to the draftees in 'Nam. Many of them shared your attitudes and tried to get out of doing anything - least of all, watching our backs.

And, your "hate the Federal Government" comment is noted. I don't understand your reasoning but then again - I don't have to.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
Obama better hope his troops don't decide that they don't like his way of running things. It's one thing to join to get out of the big cities and eat, it's a whole new ball game when it comes to giving them orders that they don't like.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
I've said it before and I don't understand how so many still don't get it- Being mandated to volunteer kind of defeats the whole purpose of teaching volunteerism. Even worse, you turn volunteering into a chore and you erode the feeling of pride from it. It's like the stigma of recycling for coins vs. recycling because recycling is the right thing to do.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Exclamation 111th CONGRESS 1st Session H. R. 1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is BS. Obama has never once advocated a military draft. There is no need for it. There are more people that want to get into the Army than there are openings in the Army for them.
Hey Kev: I think this is a good place to put post this bs....

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
The bill, under Section 4 (b)6, states:

Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric
of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
You're right though this isn't a military draft. This one is much better. There is also a provision for service learning and that is to not only educated the children in the schools, but to have them begin their service while they are in school and it continues on into college for every year a person attends college, they get to do 100 hours of community service...

If you are wondering, I am following this and I want to see this darn thing pass! Because the Americans are asleep at the wheel and they need to wake up! before it's to late.

He talked about this in his speech, before the elections in while in Colorado Springs...since that time the reporters can not get him to elaborate on his intentions. Looks like we are in what the military terms...a need to know biases.

What I see will happen because there is a $1,200.00 - $1,800.00 a month stipend and we are in a jobless state, the American people will take this as mana from Heaven... oh and for the people that are needing help with their college bill it will help with that too. But, you will resolve your civil rights while in service just as if you were in the military. And since there hasn't been a civil rights movement since the 1960's I doubt there will be a problem with that either...so hey

You'll like it Obama will make sure of it.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
The problem I have is Obama has said that the volunteer force will be as well equiped and funded as our military. Does this mean he intends to put weapons in the hands of the volunteers and have a national police force? That scares me --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies