Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Somewhat of an old article, from 2000, but gets at the heart of it (update with Iraq war, etc - Miller has not changed his tune, southerners have not changed their tune obviously):

Zell Miller: The Democratic Party's Southern Problem

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Shortened for copyright protection. Post a link to the article if you have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opstand View Post
Yeah I'm sure Jefferson and Washington were real concerned about two dudes kissing. Come on, do you even hear how ludicrous that sounds?

It still amazes me that people can vote on a president based on an issue such as gay marriage. Does it affect your daily life? Compare that to taxes, war, attempts at isolation from the international community, etc. I think those issues bear more weight with me than what two consenting adults do in their home.
Oh please it is one of your very own libs that interjected into this thread that the reason HE voted (Alanboy) the way was the Presidents "stance on gay marriage". I agree with you, your side is ludicrious. I was simplying responding to his (your side) post, come on keep up!

The very reasons I voted for President Bush for President include taxes, national defense, etc. However there are also social concerns and thank goodness there are people willing to uphold the values our country is based on.

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
They vote for the 3 G's....GOD, GUNS and GAYS...that's all they worry about.
Lets clarify, as the Zell Miller editorial above tries to point out - Southern Democrats are just as tolerent on these issues as anyone else -
They may be for gun control, no one wants another Columbine incident at there neighborhood schools; they could care less what people do behind closed doors in their bedroom; they could care less what religion a person is ....

BUT, when a democratic candidate starts dwelling on gun control, discussing it with every interview, or when a democratic judges rules that it is politically incorrect to mention God in the state of the unioun address or mention "Christ" during Christmas, or if you start having new england liberal states with gay parades and gay marriages...well then the average southerner will turn off the democratic presidential candidate and not trust him. In other words, their viewpoint is that the new democrats from California and New England, or like Al Gore a professional poltician who lived in DC all his life, are all "GOD, GUNS and GAYS...that's all they worry about". Southerners don't dwell on it, but when they see the democratic party dwell on these issues, then they worry.

Most local southern political spots are taken by democrats (mayors, governers, state senators). They understand these issues.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-08-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarity

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This has been discussed before. The south USED to be largely democrat. They still are really. The problem as many in the south see it - democrats left them, they left there own party to swing farther left. Gore, a senator from Tennesse, couldn't even carry his own state. There was an excellent article by democrat Georgia senator Zell Miller discussing this issue, let me see if I can find it.
But it's probably the social issues - gay marriage, abortion, lack of personal responsibility, Clinton's playing around, Democrats seen as rich new england elitist clowns, hollywood endorsements, etc. Just turned-off the south.
Zell Miller, is a great voice of reason coming out of the democrat party, why do you think they dont listen to him?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
You know I don't know. I was in South Carolina during the 2004 election. In SC you have the option of voting in any one primary for a given election. I looked at the Democratic candidates and finally decided to vote for Joe Lieberman. While he's a liberal, he seemed to be the most open and honest when explaining why he voted the way he did. It's a shame some conservatives I know decided to vote for Al Sharpton for "comedic value".

Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
You know I don't know. I was in South Carolina during the 2004 election. In SC you have the option of voting in any one primary for a given election. I looked at the Democratic candidates and finally decided to vote for Joe Lieberman. While he's a liberal, he seemed to be the most open and honest when explaining why he voted the way he did. It's a shame some conservatives I know decided to vote for Al Sharpton for "comedic value".
Lieberman another example of what happens if you are too moderate for the party of tolerance!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Lieberman another example of what happens if you are too moderate for the party of tolerance!
I'm getting pretty intolerant of your exaggerations.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
The exaggeration would be what? Lieberman is a moderate?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
we vote for lower taxes, no unions, state and community and parental control of schools, social values, and our rights to the 2nd amendment, our right to religious freedom and liberty, and the right of the people to vote on what they want their community to look like and not what the courts want.

gay marriage does affect our daily lives as our children see this and think that it is normal behavior.

we do vote on taxes--keeping them low, war when we have to and not giving or national sovereignty to the UN.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Exactly what is the exageration? He posts the truth and you can't see it for the plank in your eye. Lieberman and Miller, two good men, and unfortunately there are too few good men in the democratic party. And what do the democrats do to them, ostracize them and treat them like they are the plague... typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies