Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The only drug I would consider doing would be pot because I have fond memories of it from my younger days. The other "hard" drugs are too addictive and too hard on one's body and brain.

I don't smoke now because (1) it's illegal; (2) if I were found out I'd be fired from my job immediately; (3) I don't want to contribute to the deadly illegal drug trade and (4) I want to set a good example for my daughter and being high, while pleasureable, is not setting a good example.

Perhaps when I'm an old retired lady I'll grow some pot in the backyard and get high, putter in the garden and walk the dog. I think that would be fun.
Move to California... it's as legal as it gets here, and I only benefit the cannabis clubs (which are stocked by private growers or the government) when I buy my medicine. This leads to my arguments for legalizing marijuana, but I'll save that for another thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I tried them in high school and college, but I grew up to realize that illegal, unhealthy, expensive, and addictive habits that sap my ambition and devestate my body probably aren't great things to take up. Let's not even discuss the chance of killing yourself, going to jail, losing job, etc.
I hope you're talking about hard drugs... because last time I checked, nobody has died (directly) from smoking marijuana. Can't argue with it being an expensive and unhealthy habit, but I bet everyone here has an expensive & unhealthy habit or two - whether it's shopping, drinking alcohol, eating bad foods, driving fast (that can get expensive, as I know from my recent $350 ticket ), and so forth. Like I said earlier, it's all about moderation! And compared to how much my friends spend on drinking & going to clubs/bars, my habit is actually not that expensive. As for going to jail and losing jobs, that can't really happen to me either... but I'm lucky to be in a tolerant state, so not everyone has that safety.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
The reason I do not do drugs is simply because I ASSUME I'd like the feeling of being high...

Opinions?
Yeah...there's definitely an alluring feeling to a change in perception. I've been high and done drugs. It was fun for a while then it got to where the "high" wasn't as good. But by then your body is tore up a bit and your mind tricks you into thinking it's still all that and a bad of chips... and it downplays the physical suffering of coming down.

With all of that, it's hard to just up and quit, and when you do there's a let down there too because there's an aggitation to being "not high".

It takes a lot of suffering and diligence to just get back to square one.

Now, to stay "sober", I have to replace that missing link with something spiritual.

The spiritual is the hard way. It is the less travelled road. It's like being in physical shape; if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. But look around. Most people seem content getting polluted on something or another.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
I have never done any drugs at all. The thought of not being in control of myself somewhat scares me.

However, I do drink 2-3 nights a week and smoke pot a few times a month.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I've never done drugs either. Never saw any reason to--and just because some of my friends did, well, I kind of thought they were acting like idiots, and I didn't see any reason to do that, either.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Move to California... it's as legal as it gets here, and I only benefit the cannabis clubs (which are stocked by private growers or the government) when I buy my medicine. This leads to my arguments for legalizing marijuana, but I'll save that for another thread!
Thanks for the invitation, but then I'd live in California... I'll just hold out for being a pot-smoking granny some day.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I have never done any drugs at all. The thought of not being in control of myself somewhat scares me.

However, I do drink 2-3 nights a week and smoke pot a few times a month.
That's why they call it "Dope!"

Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Suuuuuuure... that's why I've made it home safely after smoking weed more times than I can count, but tried to drive drunk ONCE and had to pull over. I am ALWAYS aware of my abilities behind the wheel, which is why I knew the drunk driving wasn't working. Pot is sooooo much less impairing, as anyone who's done both would know.

And people have fallen out of airplanes and not died, too.

You're right. All the scientists and doctors are idiots and you are the only one who is right. Your highly scientific study with a sample of ONE must be right. All the impairment studies done on drivers and pilots must bow to your statistical prowess. I hope to god you are pulled over and nailed for DUI before you kill someone.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default Cigarettes are the gateway drug to dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I do not understand the whole "Weed is a gateway drug" mantra

If anything alcohol is more of a gateway drug because basically all of the people that use hard drugs like cocaine and heroine first drug they ever tried was alcohol
You're absolutely right
and cigarettes has always been the gateway drug to joint smoker because the gesture of smoking is the same with a *** and a reefer (only with the latter the aspiration is deeper and longer)

Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
i see the effects they have on others, and they're not good. Caffeine is as potent as a drug as I'm into
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies