Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,592,074 times

Advertisements

[quote=nononsenseguy;7036903]
Quote:
I don't think your being honest. Ann is very attractive (beautiful, actually), and to claim she's not intelligent is just plain ridiculous.
She is not attractive. And she is not intelligent as much as cynically manipulative.

Quote:
Your post is typical of what the leftists always do to those they disagree with, and that is to attack a persons intelligence, looks, or education. But they never want to debate the issues with them. Why is that? Is it because they know they would lose?

I would debate her, or anybody, anywhere, anyplace, any time. She would no more defeat me than the Detroit Lions would defeat the Steelers.

Quote:
The game that's always played by the left is that if you don't like the message, you attack the messenger. There is no debate. And if there is an attempt at debate, you only get cliches. Never substance.
I think the FOX News/Limbaugh/Coulter/Savage, et. al. attack-dog cabal have introduced this tactic to political discourse and perfected it. Problem is, when the Republicans tried to replicate this during the '08 McCain campaign, the American people repudiated it, giving the Republicans a resounding smackdown. Now you are the permanent minority. Get used to de facto and official obsolescence.

Quote:
It's quite clear why she is so hated by the left. She's right. And they can't stand anyone who can pinpoint their hypocracy, and articulate so well what the left is all about.
The only people who hate Ann Coulter are those with common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,289,428 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;7061634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

The only people who hate Ann Coulter are those with common sense.
But there are many people with common sense who do not hate her.

So the reason for hating her must emanate from elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,592,074 times
[quote=Yeledaf;7061706][quote=Sunil's Dad;7061634]

Quote:
But there are many people with common sense who do not hate her.

Where?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,289,428 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;7062050][quote=Yeledaf;7061706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

Where?
Assuming that you are referring to the second sentence of my post: I leave that to those who profess to hate her to answer.

Personally, I find her attitude shocking in its steadfast refusal to ascribe even a hint of virtue to those with whom she disagrees.

This in not, however, an unusual atttude among partisan political opinion-mongers.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,499,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Surprised at the nasty tone in so many posts on the forum entitled great debates. I thought we were to be above one upmanship and personal attacks on this forum.

<snip>
Her style and personality have led some of you to speak hateful things of her. I find her much more direct than I would ever be, say some things more pointedly than I would ever say, but I find that she does articulate my views most of the time. I wouldn't frame them in such a way, but then I don't want to go on national TV and be raked over the coals. Making a periodic venture onto this site or the political forum is enough for me.
I find it shocking that anyone would have views such as defaming the 9/11 widows, Jews, Muslims, wishing death upon innocent people (the Timothy McVeigh comment), etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,841,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Coulter has gone overboard sometimes, but I usually find her entertaining and funny. So many people who disagree with her actual views are so focused on being offended, they miss the point she is making many times. Satire goes a long way when done correctly. Some people are too thin-skinned and dense to get it.
I love political satire, and have a very thick skin when it comes to political jokes... but she is not funny, especially when she's "joking" about the death of innocent people. How is that humorous in any way shape or form??

Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 AM

13 posts, read 47,943 times
I'd like to say I'm a young one and very new to the World of Politics.. and admit that the first I saw of her was a clip from her appearance on the View (a show which I've never, and still don't like).. I was intrigued so I've looked into her more. I'm a registered Democrat mostly because my family is but I am definitely not sure where my own views lie as of yet.

I see her as sensational, over the top. She gets people to look at her points by specifically not being PC, by 'shocking' people and making them look at themselves, their government, and their media with a wider, more alarmed eye.

It makes me sad that she feels the need to make offensive statements to get her points (which I think are sometimes good points) across. I don't think everyone should try so hard to not offend anyone, but there comes a point where it stops becoming snarky and just becomes plain disrespectful. This is primarily because I believe some things should be respected, such as deaths or cancers.

Another thing that particularly got to me was her whole thing about Single Mothers Destroying America, which she blames the media for for celebrating single motherhood. This gets to me because I grew up with a single mother, because my father died of cancer shortly before my birth.
Instead of trying to investigate further into why single mothers don't do well in society, or trying to solve the problem by promoting families or persuading for job or childcare assistance for these women, I get the sense from her that GRR I HATE THESE SINGLE WOMEN BECAUSE THEY'RE BAD FOR SOCIETY THEY DESERVE TO DIE GRR. I'm aware that might not be the point she's making, but that's how it gets across because of the way she presents the issues. Which I think is sad.

(also she has no kids... looks like a white woman of privledge... has she ever even spoken to a single mother? this i'd like to know :P)

So as a sort of conclusion, people will just get angry at her, their blood will boil and whatever point she was trying to make will get completely overshadowed. So I think her tactic is not necessarily the best.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 47,943 times
Basically, I see her tactic as rather counter-productive.

I'D LIKE TO SEE PROGRESS, NOT WANKING

Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,429,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Coulter is angry, conservatives are angry, but reading what you say here, you are not?

Disappointed would be a much more accurate adjective. Disappointed that so many millions of Americans look at their fellow citizens as enemies. It's apparently common among right wing nutters.

Coulter feeds that frenzy.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,782,911 times
Any debate is good, and is guaranteed by the First Amendment. (Thank God)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies