Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel that the current two party system dooms us to mediocrity, if not worse?

That the two parties are so entrenched and well financed that other viewpoints are effectively strangled? That we deserve and need more choices?

That Congress at times resembles nothing more than a group of five year olds arguing, caring little about the actual issue but seeking only to shame, embarrass, put-down the other side? And that the five year olds are better behaved?

That having a choice that often becomes the lesser of two evils is really no choice at all?

That the system needs some serious adjustment if America is to still be here 100 years from now?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,066 times
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes

At least we can agree on these points

Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Yes to all. But the problem is that our system more or less encourages a two party system. The method of elections, the checks and balances, the 3 branch system, etc. 3rd parties can occur, but it's just not a natural state.
These would need drastic changes to get it redesigned - constitutional ammendments, remove the electorial college, etc, and thus it would require a change to what the founding fathers had in mind (although they certainly did not have in mind this bipartisn politics). I don't feel comfortable changing things that drastically.

I said yes to all of your comments. But let me clarify, I don't think it "dooms us to mediocrity". Legitimate debate and different viewpoints are healthy as long as it reaches a comprimise. And that's the key. If it results in gridlock, that's where the problems occur. But if you have 3 or more parties then who is to say you are not going to have 3 parties arguing and acting like 5 year olds?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:28 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
I dont see a 3rd party thats going to compete seriously with the prevailing parties, which is bad because the two parties could use more competition for votes.

I do think in the future that there will be an increase an unafiliated candidates running for office.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I dont see a 3rd party thats going to compete seriously with the prevailing parties, which is bad because the two parties could use more competition for votes.

Exactly my point! Gore or Bush or Kerrey? This is the best a nation of over three hundred million can do?

I think we deserve more choices, the problem is do we get them?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:55 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,066 times
There will never be a third party. The Reps/Dems will never allow one to get strong enough to last. The current system is built for, caters to, and depends upon two parties.

The closest thing we ever had to a third party candidate actually making a difference was when Ross Perot ran for President.

The difference he made? He was correct about "that big sucking sound ...." of millions of jobs going overseas - he was just a decade early. And he showed the importance of knowing how to make pretty charts and graphs in PowerPoint

Old 03-09-2007, 03:17 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Yes, on all counts.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 AM

10 posts, read 31,264 times
I guess they're needed, but the main function of parties anymore are so the voting public won't think too hard or look very far into what laws are being passed. They just vote party and they're done with it. That is not the nation voting, that is private interest groups voting.

The founding fathers warned us against bi-partisanship and foreign policy, and here we are neck-deep with both the main focus of the current nation.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:49 AM

184 posts, read 902,103 times
More choice would not mean better politicians, nor better options... when you look at some of the political systems where there are more than 2 main parties, many times unworkable coalitions have to be formed in governments, leading to quick succession of leadership changes and holding back real progress. Nobody wins! It's a myth that that's what America needs. What's needed is a little more "reaching across the isle" and less partisanship.

Don't get me wrong, I do think our career politicians in this country are a bunch of crooks (for the most part) and the system has some flaws in it, but there is progress and growth that is still relatively sustainable and steady... and the nice thing is that, if there is one party leading for an extended period of time, usually we get fed up with them and vote in the opposition to balance things out.

On the grand scheme of things the U.S. political system is one of the most efficient and adimred in the World. Not the politicians, the system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies