Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,189,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
How Cocaine Is Made, Manufacturing Cocaine By your reasoning that, just because it comes from a plant, it isn't man made, than all things that originally come from plants are not man made. Chocolate bars, their all natural not man made, rubber...all natural not man made. Take a look at that link I provided you there are many steps in the manufacture of it. The end results IS VERY bad for you. I have seen what it does to people over time. I've worked in drug rehab units and it ain't pretty. THC is no where near as harmful as cocaine, sorry dear but I ain't buying that. Also when I said "it would still be a controlled substance", I meant controlled as in tightly regulated, not in terms of being on a schedule. As for you amsterdam example, do you seriously think that the US would be as lax as amsterdam in terms of the regulation of marijuana should it ever become legal? The us is tax happy, it would slap tax upon tax upon tax on it.

the US, were it to make dope legal, would use similar laws to that of moonshine production. it would be illegal to grow your own etc. a federal protection racket!

Last edited by 58robbo; 01-14-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
maybe so, but it says a lot about your character and hence, the company that hired you. If they're not going to fire you over your outside activities, they'll find a petty reason with your work to fire you

As for the original post, my in-laws are Dutch and they and their Dutch friends often say that The Netherlands is a good example as to why you shouldn't legalize drugs.

my in-laws are british and they often say that britain is a good example to saudi arabia as to why booze shouldn't be legalized there.

spindle, wait until the federal govt prohibits something that you like. perhaps the ongoing con of religion might be banned to protect you from throwing your hard earned dollars to the swndlers such as ALL the televangelists, the pope, head rabbi, dalai lama, head imam etc

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
From what I understand the newer Dutch politicians, etc are full of it. The Netherlands had no real problems with gangs and serious crime until the mid to late 90s. They had their drug laws since 1976. Now new school politicians are filling the public with fear saying it is the lax drug laws that are causing this. It is not you are going to have problems whether it is legal or illegal and making it illegal will just open up a pandoras box of problems more then they are seeing. The Netherlands are making a slow approach to making everything illegal and having harsher drug laws. I can guarantee that once they do this and see the amount of crime that follows will go through the roof on top of filling their prisons with pot heads rather then rapists, robbers,etc like we do here.

it's all about power and control. the easiest way to run things is by force. everyday in britain(where i live) the state/taxpayer funded propaganda machine, the bbc, goes on about crime. normally this goes hand in hand with some orwellian legislation they're trying to pass. right now they're throwing hammer and tongs trying to pass their own "real id" act. once the legislation is passed the state machine will change tack. crime will miraculously disappear from the main stream media. no different from what they're trying to do in holland. i wonder though whether we (the US) doesn't have something to do with trying to twist their arm.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If it is ever legalized companies should still have the right to drug test employees and fire the ones who test positive. Some jobs are too dangerous for people to be coming to work high. Where I used to work we had a forklift driver who would come in high occasionally, he would run over all sorts of things and he even ran into a steel beam. Well one day he almost ran into me, he never even saw me ( a forklift WILL kill you ). I went straight to HR and asked them to drug test him, they did and the next day he was fired. I'm not giving up my safety because someone wants to smoke pot before coming to work.
Maybe he did smoke that morning. However, as you should know, pot stays in your system a lot longer than alcohol does. If I smoke pot last night, it'll show up in my system today. But guess what? I'm not high in the least, because the effects do not linger in the system like alcohol does. I think it's whack to fire someone for smoking pot when they may have not smoked it for days....yet have no problem w/the person who got drunk last night, & the alcohol is still in their system & still has an effect on them.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,490,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
it's all about power and control. the easiest way to run things is by force. everyday in britain(where i live) the state/taxpayer funded propaganda machine, the bbc, goes on about crime. normally this goes hand in hand with some orwellian legislation they're trying to pass. right now they're throwing hammer and tongs trying to pass their own "real id" act. once the legislation is passed the state machine will change tack. crime will miraculously disappear from the main stream media. no different from what they're trying to do in holland. i wonder though whether we (the US) doesn't have something to do with trying to twist their arm.
I know in Japan the reason why they have such harsh drug laws is because of the U.S.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,336,188 times
Quote:
If it is ever legalized companies should still have the right to drug test employees and fire the ones who test positive. Some jobs are too dangerous for people to be coming to work high. Where I used to work we had a forklift driver who would come in high occasionally, he would run over all sorts of things and he even ran into a steel beam. Well one day he almost ran into me, he never even saw me ( a forklift WILL kill you ). I went straight to HR and asked them to drug test him, they did and the next day he was fired. I'm not giving up my safety because someone wants to smoke pot before coming to work.
They can do this with alcohol already, and some companies even fire employees who smoke CIGARETTES (http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-30398354_ITM - broken link)! There's nothing wrong with this in my opinion, and the drug testing is probably the only reason I don't work for the FBI/CIA right now. I would have long-ago accepted one of their offers for an entry-level analyst position had I not cared about my personal freedoms. I really see nothing wrong with some companies choosing to test for drugs, I just wont personally work for one.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
so you'd let him continue driving the forklift if he came up negative for pot? i wouldn't have canned him for smoking pot. i would have canned him for running over things all the time. it's not rocket science!
He drove the forklift just fine when he wasn't high. This only happened one or two days a week, but that's enough to injure or kill someone.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
He drove the forklift just fine when he wasn't high. This only happened one or two days a week, but that's enough to injure or kill someone.

and your point is?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
and your point is?
My point is if he hadn't been high at work I never would have reported him and he never would have lost his job. If you come to work acting strange it's other worker's right to report you, and if you get fired for having pot in your system it's your own fault. The employer shouldn't have to try to determine if you smoked this morning, or if it was two days ago. Don't you think everyone will use the excuse "yeah I smoked, but that was several days ago" ? A large employer dealing with hundreds of employees don't have time to deal with that crap. If you get reported and it's in your system you're outta there, end of story.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
My point is if he hadn't been high at work I never would have reported him and he never would have lost his job. If you come to work acting strange it's other worker's right to report you, and if you get fired for having pot in your system it's your own fault. The employer shouldn't have to try to determine if you smoked this morning, or if it was two days ago. Don't you think everyone will use the excuse "yeah I smoked, but that was several days ago" ? A large employer dealing with hundreds of employees don't have time to deal with that crap. If you get reported and it's in your system you're outta there, end of story.

so was he fired because he drove like an idiot or because he had dope in his system? it is encouraging to know that forklift drivers at your place of work can crash into things all day long as long as there is no dope in their system. let me guess, you work for NASA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies