Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then, you are going to have ban ALL TALKING while driving - including to passengers. You are going to have to ban listening to the radio - and perhaps singing along with the songs.

Ban drinking coffee in the morning - or woman putting on makeup while driving.
I agree with Valley Native. You clearly gave the impression of being opposed to cell phone bans.

Tristan's Mommy responded reasonably, and you flew off the handle. You brought up the deaths of your family members, and went ballistic, accusing TM of talking about them.

You really look like you're not all there, according to this thread. I think you owe TM a big apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
I'm all for banning all cell phone use while driving. I don't know how many times I have had to slam on the breaks, or swerve unto the shoulder while Mr. Contractor is yelling into his cell phone or Mrs. Soccermom is chatting it up with someone.

If we were able to live our lives for so long without constantly talking into these tiny little boxes all day long, why can't we go back to that? I personally either hand my phone if it rings to someone in the car, or if alone either ignore it or if I think it is important, pull over, park and then take the call. It isn't all that hard to call someone back. And if they have a real emergency, shouldn't they be calling 911 instead of me anyway?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I do oppose any regulation regarding cell phone limitation

I do not owe TM anything.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
I do oppose any regulation regarding cell phone limitation
I find it rather interesting that you oppose laws banning/limiting cell phone usage while driving, but highly favor photo radar cameras that are nothing more than revenue generating robotic devices. Both are intrusive forms of government that control our personal lives too much. I realize that is somewhat off the topic, but it needed to be brought up.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Ban Cell Phones While Driving

WASHINGTON — A national safety group is advocating a total ban on cell phone use while driving, saying the practice is clearly dangerous and leads to fatalities.

States should ban drivers from using hand-held and hands-free cell phones, and businesses should prohibit employees from using cell phones while driving on the job, the congressionally chartered National Safety Council says, taking those positions for the first time.

FOXNews.com - Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
This one is not entirely unreasonable.

Certain distractions under certain circumstances should be restricted. Hand held cell phones are distracting and at high speeds they can be downright dangerous.

It's not exactly on the level of alcohol; because it is only temporary and it doesn't affect judgement or depth perception. And work related "distractions" such as dispatch radios and other communications devices are equally dangerous, but I think it is acceptable to ban talking on a cell phone on things like freeways and other roads with high speed limits and/or high traffic.

I think the reason why you are terming this nanny state is because so many laws aren't really needed and so many laws are needlessly restrictive that sometimes when a reasonable law is enacted, people like us have a kneejerk reaction.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
You've been living in a "nanny state" since FDR's administration. How did THAT happen? Because the rich elites in America in the late 1920s took the economy right over the cliff, ruined the banking system, just like the elites have done to the US and world this time around. This is news to anyone? And several other "nanny states" in Europe are presently eating the US's lunch economically.

Don't feed the Right Wing troll.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
First of GD.. we're not talking about a HANDS FREE DEVICE HERE.. many states don't allow people to talk on the cell phones UNLESS they are doing so on a hands free device

I'm all for requiring hands free devices.. otherwise, the person talking on a phone without one is as dangerous as someone that is drunk
They find in tests that hands-free is just as bad - it has to do with concentration. You're not concentrating on driving, especially when using a phone, as opposed to listening to a radio, talking to someone next to you, etc.

Hey - this is what they found in tests, so why don't people get a clue?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I'm not sure that we need laws banning cell phone conversations while driving, but anyone who thinks that talking on a cell phone doesn't affect your ability to focus on driving is fooling himself.

I equate it with driving while intoxicated.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I find my built in GPS far more distracting than the cell phone - I watch the graphics - follow the map - punch in numbers

Should GPS's be outlawed?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
I find my built in GPS far more distracting than the cell phone - I watch the graphics - follow the map - punch in numbers

Should GPS's be outlawed?
Your comparison goes too far.

If we're talking about equivalents, then if it's illegal to talk on the phone while driving, it would be logical to make it illegal to "punch in numbers" on your navigation system while driving too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies