Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should 55+ Communities Be Allowed Or Banned?
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be BANNED 7 6.14%
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be ALLOWED 90 78.95%
Should Be Allowed Only In Certain Circumstances 17 14.91%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
A Seniors only community is about as discriminatory as anything else labeled as, "whites only", "blacks only", "men only", "ladies only", "gays only", "straights only".
Why should we give them special treatment because they are "old"? People complain about discrimination, yet support this type??? Please!!!
Whats wrong with any of those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Older people have paid their dues. Why should they have to live around a bunch of kids, basketball hoops, boom boxes, stray dogs, yelling, etc ? I am 62, never had children, and never paid school taxes. Children aren't my future. They are here because someone concieved. Not my problem. I think the over 55 GATED communities are a good idea for older people who need to feel more secure. Who wants to trip over an ugly Bratz doll ? Kiddie Day care centers that put up a "No Old people allowed" sign are FINE with me.
Actually probably have paid school taxes. If you have owned real estate, or rented real estate - even an apartment, a portion of the property taxes are allocated towards schools.

You say you live in Arizona. If you rent, you can actually take a deduction for school taxes on your Arizona tax return

Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I wish they would bring back the swinging '70's "Adults Only" communities. I'm only in my forties and I don't want a bunch of noisy kids around. I already pay for they're damned schooling. If you outlaw "Seniors Only" rules, the only way people will be able live the way they want is to have a house on a big piece of property.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
"any type of segregation is never good". Absolutes are never good. There is always an excemption.

"A Seniors only community is about as discriminatory as anything else labeled as, "whites only", "blacks only", "men only", "ladies only", "gays only", "straights only".
Why should we give them special treatment because they are "old"? People complain about discrimination, yet support this type??? Please!!!"

Yes I support all of those. Freeedom of assembly. I believe in private ownership. I an owner wants to restrict his potential customers, that his his business.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
A few years ago, someone made a suggestion that my condo complex become a 'senior citizen" complex and restrict the ownership as well as residence to those over 55. It didn't pass for the main reason that at least a third of the 50+ units have three bedrooms, obviously designed for families.
That's kind of odd. My parents own a 3B/2ba single family home is a 55+ community. In some of the SunCity developments those houses can have over 2,000sq ft. 3 car garages, etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Seniors in these communities don't receive "special treatment", and it's really not discriminatoy when you think about it. I guess people MIGHT consider it so if they envy the homes or something (that's usually what it is where my parents live) but usually they are just communities that encourage socialization among a segment of our society that are often alone and isolated and forgotten. It's called "taking care of our own". It's nothing at all like race-only, or sexual-orientation only since there really is no "only" except you are in the golden years of your life...A PLACE WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE ONE DAY. We will ALL have the option. And not all seniors like the idea of living this way, so they don't.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
This is supposedly a free country. Part of that freedom is supposed to be Freedom of Association. We should be able to form communities based on any restrictions we please. Social engineering was never an intended function of our government.

But aside from that, older people are easy targets for young criminals. Retirement communities, for seniors, mean being able to venture outdoors without fear. Most older people cannot afford the astronomical costs of maintaining expensive homes. Younger people live in pricey neighborhoods in order to insulate themselves and their kids from young criminals. Retirement communities allow seniors to live safely and economically at a time when they can neither defend themselves or earn large sums of money with which to insulate themselves from crime.

I suspect the impetus for disallowing retirement communities is that certain entities want their base constituents to have free access to the homes of the elderly. After all, robbery is at the base of the drug lords' food chain. And the drug lords are powerful enough, now, to be able to affect legislation.

As an example of what I'm talking about, view the video of young criminals in St. Paul, Minnesota, out attacking people (including the elderly), just for a lark. Youtube took it down, but it's still on the Star Tribune's website. Attacks like that (and much worse) are commonplace in European cities, now. And once our guns are confiscated, home invasions will skyrocket. More than ever, seniors need their own safe enclaves.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 PM

19 posts, read 42,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Older people have paid their dues. Why should they have to live around a bunch of kids, basketball hoops, boom boxes, stray dogs, yelling, etc ? I am 62, never had children, and never paid school taxes. Children aren't my future. They are here because someone concieved. Not my problem. I think the over 55 GATED communities are a good idea for older people who need to feel more secure. Who wants to trip over an ugly Bratz doll ? Kiddie Day care centers that put up a "No Old people allowed" sign are FINE with me.
Children ARE your future - your future legislators, doctors, and the workers who pay taxes to keep up the infrastructure we depend on. I wouldn't choose to live in an age segregated community - want to engage in contemporary culture and I think youngsters need to interact with us, too. However, I wouldn't want it to be illegal for oldsters to congregate. Ageism does not equal racism in housing.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Should WOMEN be allowed to ban MEN from their bathrooms?

Should MEN be allowed to ban WOMEN from their bathrooms?

Outrageous! Absolutely discriminatory!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
I'm not going to lie. I like old people in general. My parents are in their 60s...not old, but not young. I like some of their friends. However, I dislike the know it all, I walked in the snow both ways, snobby, the world now sucks type of old person that persists in the world today. The further away from me they have to live, the better...for both of us.

On the flip side, it would be nice if my parents were walking distance from their friends and if they did not have to deal with the noise that comes from living in a family community.

For those that feel that this is discriminatory, really? I guess if you want to take shots and party with Betty White and company (Golden Girls) if that's your thing...I don't judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies