Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Human Trafficking be a concern for legislators?
Yes 17 85.00%
No 3 15.00%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times

Advertisements

I recently read two interesting articles regarding Human Trafficking. A woman in Ohio recants her story of being date raped at age 15 and then sold to hundreds of men for sex, and her family was unaware. It said she was in an upper middle class white home with absentee parents.

As the father of an 8 year old daughter this concerns me. From these articles it's not just immigrants or illegals that are being sold into slavery. It's children, women who are unaware and trusting. I've supplied the links to both articles.

Here are clips from the articles and links to them below.

In high school, Theresa Flores was an upper-middle-class teenager who did well in school and ran track.
But underneath that Flores had a secret: She was a victim of modern-day human trafficking, held at night as a sex slave in her suburban Detroit town.

Read the rest of the article here (broken link)

Here is the other article:

COLUMBUS - Theresa Flores is the face of the modern age of slavery.

The white, blond features of a typical middle-class mom, now a Columbus social worker, seemed out of place among the close-up, darker images from other countries surrounding her as part of a traveling exhibit called "Invisible Slavery Today."

Read the rest of the article here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Most definitely it should be a concern for everyone. This is a shocking story of a brave woman who is making a difference. This kind of thing could happen anywhere to anyone and the public needs to be made aware of that. It also proves once again much parents need to be involved in where their kids are going and who their friends are. Thanks Hoosier for bring this to everyone's attention.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
Wow! I have read a few similar stories in the past! It is truly very SAD! Something needs to be done. There really does need to be more awareness about this issue! And I think it calls for some VERY SEVERE punishments as well!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,148 times
Default "something needs to be done"

I quite agree with the last person to post that "something needs to be done". For I am the person that this Hoosier guy is speaking about, and in the articles. Yes, it starts with observant, diligent parents, but education on the topic is crucial. It seems the more money people make, the less involved they are in their children's lives and the more they feel they are exempt from bad things happening to them. With Trafficking, No one is safe. There are bad people all over the world that prey upon people. We ALL have a weak spot and they know how to find it. By standing up, saying we wont allow this to happen to our children or vulnerable women, we are helping others who cant do it alone. That is why I decided to share my story. Not for personal glory! For who would want the world to know this about them?? It is to help give a voice to those that dont have one,,,yet.
Please go on Oprah.com and 'submit and idea' and ask that she do a show on Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery. She is the best person to get this Human Rights story out to the majority of the people....and perhaps do something about stopping this!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Default Not a great subject but I commend you for bringing it out in the open

Thank you

I know this has been more and more of a problem in the U.S. and wasn't the young girl in Aruba who turned up missing...what I mean to say, is...didn't they suspect that this happened?

It is sad...very sad...and all I have to say is thank you for bringing it out in the open for all to read....we must become more educated on problems as such in order to deal with them responsiblity and lawfully.

I think the more severe the punishment, the less people would be tempted to try and accomplish the crime. There will always be crime, but sever punishments are much more effective...to deter crime.

Creme

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflores View Post
I quite agree with the last person to post that "something needs to be done". For I am the person that this Hoosier guy is speaking about, and in the articles. Yes, it starts with observant, diligent parents, but education on the topic is crucial. It seems the more money people make, the less involved they are in their children's lives and the more they feel they are exempt from bad things happening to them. With Trafficking, No one is safe. There are bad people all over the world that prey upon people. We ALL have a weak spot and they know how to find it. By standing up, saying we wont allow this to happen to our children or vulnerable women, we are helping others who cant do it alone. That is why I decided to share my story. Not for personal glory! For who would want the world to know this about them?? It is to help give a voice to those that dont have one,,,yet.
Please go on Oprah.com and 'submit and idea' and ask that she do a show on Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery. She is the best person to get this Human Rights story out to the majority of the people....and perhaps do something about stopping this!
There is another thread in the books forum regarding this poster's book. If you haven't read the thread you'll quickly learn that tflores is my older sister. Only by a few years though I do love to tease her. Go to the thread and check out her book.
//www.city-data.com/forum/books...afficking.html

I braved it by reading the book and was deeply angered, saddened and mortified by what happened to her while we were teens. She's an amazing woman with a powerful testimony that will touch at the depths of anyone's soul. You do not have to have gone through this terror to truly be moved to anger and deep sadness for tflores. Yet she is a survivor and for that I am so thankful as I still have my sister today.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Some story, I'm not understanding how this happens with parent's unaware.

Could you briefly clarify how this can be done undetected for a sustained period of time?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
I'd be willing to bet your parents were like mine...small town, living in a world, believing everything in it is good...never being aware of the fact that people do hurt others. I want to say this, in all honesty, I was so naive at times, people thought there was something wrong with me. The hardest part of taking care of my mother, is the fear that she will not lock her doors, or she will open the door for a stranger????? She never worked, never got out in society to understand what is really going on. She, of course watched the news, but for some reason never realized crime was in her small little world?

So, I can in a lot of way understand this happening...I'm so so sorry it did.
I ordered the book and will be reading it with you this weekend. Difficult as it will be for you...please know, that there is someone else there with you both.

I was a victim of sexual abuse...a child...he was an adult...is free and abused many other children....

All my love
Creme

Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
find the rapists and the customers. Try in open court to make certain they are the guilty. Take out behind courthouse. Place against backstop. Shoot them. No mercy!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
I think we can all agree that Human Trafficking, slavery and the sex trade are bad things, that society shouldn't tolerate.

But despite the fact that almost 90% of the people voted "Yes" in the poll, I haven't really seen anyone discuss whether or not our current laws are adequate. This seems like an issue for law enforcement or public awareness groups, not one for legislators.

I'm not well informed on this topic. Is there something wrong with our federal (or state) laws on human trafficking and slavery? This is still a crime, right? Do y'all know something I don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies