Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I consider myself to be
Conservative 44 29.14%
Liberal 53 35.10%
Libertarian 18 11.92%
Moderate/Centrist 29 19.21%
Other 7 4.64%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,373 times

Advertisements

On Social Issues? More Liberal/Left.

As for economics? Conservative/Right.

Overall I would say the vast majority of folks on the forum as a whole are moderates/centrists. However, it seems that only the hardcore members of both sides seem to drift to the P&OC forum (with some exceptions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Liberals usually seem overrepresented, wherever you're measuring them. That's because conservatives are much more likely to simply go about their lives, doing their jobs, not really making a fuss over everything, since they don't automatically revert to victim-mode every time something goes not in their favor.

Liberals are much more likely to scream and holler over the littlest things, due to a highly cultivated victim mentality. Message boards like this are almost tailor-made for liberalism...here, liberals can raise a fuss, attack conservatives, show the world how enlightened and progressive and compassionate and tolerant they are...and all without have to worry about actually accomplishing anything. They get their warm fuzzies by fighting the good fight against the evils of capitalism, guns, George Bush, the war in Iraq, pro-lifers, etc, and that's enough for them, as results are not really important.
What drivel.

I'll be just as irrational and say that yes, you're right - liberals are quite active on message boards, debating and arguing. Conservatives don't say much because Rush and Sean tell them everything they need to know. All conservatives have to do is memorize the talking points and repeat them ad nauseum.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
The liberals think there are more conservatives; the conservatives think there are more liberals. I think it's pretty balanced overall.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
On Social Issues? More Liberal/Left.

As for economics? Conservative/Right.

Overall I would say the vast majority of folks on the forum as a whole are moderates/centrists. However, it seems that only the hardcore members of both sides seem to drift to the P&OC forum (with some exceptions).
I strongly agree with you.

Another thing to consider: People get more revved up about social issues than economic issues, so when there's a debate about a social issue, the liberal-leaning posts easily outnumber the conservative posts.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,802,338 times
The board leans to the left of center.

It also contains just enough tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists to keep things entertaining, but not enough for them to overrun the place.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,487,505 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelticnomad
Why do you have to agitate ...We are Americans...We are all facing very difficult times...you should not post to divide ....why not post to UNITE all Americans...We have a tough road ahead ...we must be united to get through this....Negative Judgement breads Contempt
I'm sorry, but asking someone's opinion on something isn't agitation, it's curiosity. Disagreement isn't bad, it's the way you go about disagreeing that's the problem. I for one am a centrist who wants to give Obama a chance, but that doesn't mean I won't voice disagreement with him when the time comes. And that's okay.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,847,139 times
Liberals are louder, demonstrate more irrationality, opt for name calling in leiu of discourse, are much nastier, do not accept opposing viewpoints and will marginalize those who express them as racist or bigots.
Therefore, they tend to stand out more.
They are also typically women, gay men, or college students who think they know everything about the world.

"Empty bottles make the most noise"
Confucious

Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What drivel.

I'll be just as irrational and say that yes, you're right - liberals are quite active on message boards, debating and arguing. Conservatives don't say much because Rush and Sean tell them everything they need to know. All conservatives have to do is memorize the talking points and repeat them ad nauseum.
I rarely am able to be in the audience of either of these commentators.
I would like to add that I generally respect your opinions.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,091,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Clearly more liberal.

Oh yeah, sure. After all the vicious rhetoric of the last 8 years, NOW you want to unite and make nice.
MOST of the vicious rhetoric came from the right wing REPUBLICAN idiots who blasted the liberals and moderates who were smart enough to not buy into Bush's bullsh#t...."You is a terrist lover if'n you don't support Dubya and our war on terrists"....You right wingers were hateful and now that time has proven you to be the pack of retards the rest of us always KNEW you were,you want to play the victim.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
MOST of the vicious rhetoric came from the right wing REPUBLICAN idiots who blasted the liberals and moderates who were smart enough to not buy into Bush's bullsh#t...."You is a terrist lover if'n you don't support Dubya and our war on terrists"....You right wingers were hateful and now that time has proven you to be the pack of retards the rest of us always KNEW you were,you want to play the victim.
You didn't see through anything!
You have despised Bush since you thought, wrongly, that he stole the election wayyyy back in 2000.
Everything that you have said and every action the left has taken (read: the low road) has been derivative of this completely unhinged belief. You have attempted to undermine this president with the fervor of a vicious, ugly adolescent.
It has been the most embarrassing display of sour grapes this nation has ever seen.
Now we are seeing a continuation of it in the unhinged propping up of an unqualified, corrupt affirmative action president elect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies