Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress get pay raises while Americans lose their jobs??
Yes 2 10.00%
No 14 70.00%
Not Sure 1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,715 times

Advertisements

Is there a little hypocrisy here when our politicians get pay raises and our country goes broke?

Last edited by CometVoyager; 01-15-2009 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Wrong Question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Is there a little hypocrisy here when our politicians get pay raises and our country goes broke?
A LITTLE hypocrisy???? A lot , and only proves that ANY politician that votes FOR their own raise is a crook and a scoundrel but they DO represent Americans ......... greedy and self serving

But ice cream, parties and prayers will keep Americans totally preoccupied so most won't even know, or care, about THIS screwing.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Not happy in the least.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not happy in the least.
On this we agree!
I'm calling my representatives today...are you?
Are the millions who are descending on DC for the parties going to take the time to call their reps??? Just think if 4 million people came out of their "party/ice cream/puppy/prayer" stupor and called today....THAT might make a difference.....

Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
On this we agree!
I'm calling my representatives today...are you?
Are the millions who are descending on DC for the parties going to take the time to call their reps??? Just think if 4 million people came out of their "party/ice cream/puppy/prayer" stupor and called today....THAT might make a difference.....
Already have. But you know asking someone not to vote themselves a pay raise is nearly a futile effort. If 4 million called they'd just shut down the phone system like they did during the bailout vote in October. Perhaps we should amend the Constitution to require pay raises to be voted on during the elections by the voters.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Already have. But you know asking someone not to vote themselves a pay raise is nearly a futile effort. If 4 million called they'd just shut down the phone system like they did during the bailout vote in October. Perhaps we should amend the Constitution to require pay raises to be voted on during the elections by the voters.
"""Perhaps we should amend the Constitution to require pay raises to be voted on during the elections by the voters.""

Ya, good idea, but you know how far common sense goes in the U.S.!

But it would then be fun to see Democrats and Republicans coming together in bi-partisan love and adoration ....to BOTH screw with voting machines!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I believe we would be better represented if our Congress Critters were paid more than any business executive and the President recieved millions in pay and benefits.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe we would be better represented if our Congress Critters were paid more than any business executive and the President recieved millions in pay and benefits.
Good point!

However, in the U.S. executives are feared and worshipped like gods.

NO one should make what they do but that ain't going to change....how many more people can we afford to support at that income level????

Pretty soon our elected representatives would vote themselves a bailout/Welfare check like they did the CEO gods!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""

But it would then be fun to see Democrats and Republicans coming together in bi-partisan love and adoration ....to BOTH screw with voting machines!!!!!

Great post. I'll agree with you on this. The only time that the major parties had a truly bi-partisan effort was to screw over the taxpayers by not voting down their pay raises. I say not voting the raises down, b/c I believe the default is to raise salaries unless the motion is blocked.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Here in New hampshire we pay all 435 of our Representatives the princly sum of $100 per session. This is a great way to self select the self employed, elderly and wealthy to the "People's House". We really do get what we pay for.

I suggest that anyone elected to a public office be paid whatever his previous salary happened to be and his job be protected should the Rep want it back. That would open up the pool of candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies