Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
It's cute that you think that torturing someone actually extracts valuable information.
Depends on what kind of "torture".

I personally know of a case where some "torture" was ineffective...however, a simple change in tactic, to something that you might also consider "torture", was absolutely effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Water is poured down the nose, making the criminal believe that he is drowning, yet he can not drown, as a matter of fact no damage is even done to his nasal passages. That being said, the fear that they are drowning compels them to sing like songbirds, in order for their captor to stop.

How is this torture?
I'd like this to be a civil discussion and not devolve calling people Nazis and such; just a spirited discussion on how and why they do or don't consider water boarding torture when no harm is done.
If were not a tortuous experience, what would be the purpose of their using it? Although the experts concur that torture does not work, it was obviously implemented to extract information or confessions.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Maybe if he was a terrorist, that would be appropriate.
Why would a terrorist be any different from an organized army fighting against you?

Torture is torture, regardless of designation... civilian, "terrorist" or military personnel.

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Well, when you consider the other methods of torture the Japanese used during WW2, and the manner in which they executed them, you may find extreme discrepancies.

There are varying degrees in everything.
You're right but I'm opposed to any torture or even questionable or harsh methods.

I realize many will disagree with me but I have always felt that one of the reasons why America was a nation that so many others wanted to emulate is because at least at one time, we took a more enlightened path and while not perfect, we strove to have the moral high ground. Our people were tough as any, and even if others were harsh towards us, we still at least attempted to set a better example for the world to follow. Additionally, it also removes our ability to prosecute those who use such methods as if we too use them then we remove this ability to charge people. Lowering oneself to the level of a terrorist or torture because others do it is rather repugnant and despicable.

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Water is poured down the nose, making the criminal believe that he is drowning, yet he can not drown, as a matter of fact no damage is even done to his nasal passages. That being said, the fear that they are drowning compels them to sing like songbirds, in order for their captor to stop.

How is this torture? I'd like this to be a civil discussion and not devolve calling people Nazis and such; just a spirited discussion on how and why they do or don't consider water boarding torture when no harm is done.
Apparently some posters believe forcing a human to jump from the 85th floor of a collapsing building would be more humane. Like, they were gonna die anyway.

I'd prefer just pitching the terrorist in shark infested water and then pitching him a bucket of chum for dinner. Would be so much more polite. The federal government long ago opted out of any condition of moral certitude.

Last edited by WillysB; 01-15-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's try it on you, see how you like it....
I would much rather be water boarded than beheaded, there is no chance of survival from beheading. I think we all have seen the video of this from Al-Queda, several times.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's try it on you, see how you like it....
You made no attempt whatsoever to answer my question. Thanks for playing.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Apparently some posters believe forcing a human to jump from the 85th floor of a collapsing building would be more humane. Like, they were die anyway.

I'd prefer just pitching the terrorist in shark infested water and then pitching him some chum for dinner. Would be so much more polite. The federal government long ago opted out of any condition of moral certitude.
You're condoning terrorism.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
I don't like to think of anyone being tortured. I don't like to think of anyone blowing up an airplane, a crowded mall, or a High School, either.

If the only way to find out what these guys are 'up to' is torture (assuming you've 'asked them' first), then I'd rather see someone water-boarded, or sleep-deprived.....than to have their fingernails extracted, their ears cut off, or electrodes applied to body parts.

Obviously, it goes without saying that if torture is ever used, it's to be used as a last resort, and ended immediately when the 'info' is produced...leaving it theoretically 'up to the victim'. Torture is NEVER to be used as 'punishment' only to gather information....and is to never 'injure', only to produce distress and discomfort and confusion. Ugly? Yes..I couldn't do it myself (unless a loved one was threatened). But ALL aspects of terrorism are 'ugly'.....terror itself is pretty ugly, and anyone who 'fights in a sewer' is going to get dirty....ANYONE. Want a CLEAN war? Fine. Kill soldiers, not infants, toddlers or school children.

Not a subject I feel happy about..NONE of it.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
18 posts thus far, and not one person has told me how it is torture, just ad hominem attacks, as expected.

Again, water is poured down a terrorists nose, making him think he is drowning, yet he can not drown from water boarding. To reiterate, it can't even do any damage to his nasal passages. Heck people pay $19.99 for a neti pot, which is the same thing on a miniscule scale, obviously.
YouTube - neti pot

So please tell me how it is torture. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies