Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I do not think you can show that this is a common practice. I think it is utilized in only the cases that are believed to gain information that will in fact save lives. It has been reported that we have used this method on three occasions only and peoples lives were saved for it.
No, I don't think it's a common occurance, nor do I think it should be. Three is the nimber I had heard as well. One of those three apparently gave up information that led to the foiling of several terrorist plots. As I said, I was ok with that. I think it has to make one squeemish to say it's ok to torture someone, but I believe it's better than the alternative of letting dozens, maybe hundreds or even thousands of innocents be hurt or killed by a terrorist attack that we might have stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Erm..Religion wise..with the US being a christian nation..where does torture fit into the teachings of Jesus?

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I might my Mother in law? LOL Seriously though, you cannot volunteer someone else against their will. If your mother wanted to try it, would you, or could you stop her?
Are you saying the men at Gitmo are wanting to "try" waterboarding? Because then, by all means, go ahead. But seriously, if someone wanted to do this to your mother-in-law, without her consent, would you give the go-ahead since it isn't torture, and the trauma isn't even as bad as a Brazilian wax job?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And torture is one of those things. But, that is not the point. Do you condone torture on POWs if it helps you to the goal (or not)?
It is clear for me that the only time to water board is when it can save lives. If another 9/11 can be stopped with this method, who wouldn't?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are you saying the men at Gitmo are wanting to "try" waterboarding? Because then, by all means, go ahead. But seriously, if someone wanted to do this to your mother-in-law, without her consent, would you give the go-ahead since it isn't torture, and the trauma isn't even as bad as a Brazilian wax job?
That's not a fair question to ask me because you do not know my MIL. LOL
She is a domestic terrorist. LOL again.

If she were a terrorist, or an enemy combatant, and had information that could save lives, absolutely!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
It is clear for me that the only time to water board is when it can save lives. If another 9/11 can be stopped with this method, who wouldn't?
Too bad you don't know that apriori, therefore it should not be allowed.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Erm..Religion wise..with the US being a christian nation..where does torture fit into the teachings of Jesus?
Assuming anyone will let you get away with us being called a "Christian nation"..(which we AREN'T, but we "kinda are"...and we are obviously a nation capable of feeling 'guilt' as a society)...good point about Jesus' teachings about torture.

Short answer...I don't recall Him ever specifically mentioning torture. He DID go on at length about kindness, 'turning the other cheek', claiming to have an exclusive claim on 'vengeance', loving one's neighbor, etc. He also spoke rather clearly about His attitude toward adultery, "coveting" wives and property, and about "leading little children astray", and "caring for the poor".

We KNOW Jesus said these things, and PROBABLY would have included 'torture' among his 'no-no's' had He been asked. He wasn't; and He didn't.

But Jesus remained silent on a LOT of things. He never mentioned "insider trading", corporate raiding, the internet, or airborne suicide bombers. So, though torture was never specifically mentioned, I think we pretty well know what He'd have said. He'd have been against it....and against about a million OTHER things, too...many of which we do every day in our society.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Not that I agree with torturing, but the US is not a Christian Nation.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:

If she were a terrorist, or an enemy combatant, and had information that could save lives, absolutely!
Yeah, those US contractors looked suspicious when some "brave" soldiers tortured them. See link to other story concerning this.

It's a slippery slope. You begin using it more universally, first among citizens that are not combatants with the slightest suspicion of being one. Then you do it to ones without any suspicion. Then you begin doing it on your own citizens.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

What if you didn't know she had such information, only suspected that she might? And if she didn't cough up that information right away, how long would you continue to waterboard her?

(I appreciate the levity you're bringing to our discussion. Hope your wife doesn't read your posts!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies