Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America evil?
Yes 47 29.56%
No 112 70.44%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

I don't generally think or speak in terms of good and evil. But I voted yes, we are an evil country on the basis that if you created a country with all the bad attributes of America, but gave it a different name, flag and language, Americans would have no problem jumping up and down screaming to the heavens that it was evil, and probably demanding that it be invaded. Especially if you told Americans that imaginary country X hates us for our freedom, or some similar nugget of horse dung.

It's just Oceania/Eastasia/Eurasia for most people. That's the level they exist on: root for the home team, and denounce the other team for doing the same things your own guys are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes. I would.
Well, when you get to that planet, send us a post card. Because there's no such thing on Earth.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I don't think America is good nor evil.

We're just incredibly ignorant.

And stupid.

And gullible.

Other than that we're doing pretty good.

Some of us are. I mean, just look at the election if you need proof of that.

But there are stupid, ignorant, gullible people in every country...we are not unique in that regard.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Independence is underrated. Self-reliance and self-determination are the ideal. Of course, you might have to live alone to experience it, but there's nothing WRONG with it.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Look you folks can sit around here and gripe about your country and put her down if you want to. You can waste your whole life talking about America this and America that. OR you can do something to change the things you don't like. You can gripe about the homeless or you can help them. We will be looking for you Monday- please feel free to drop some food off or give a hand!
Hosea Feed The Hungry and Homeless
You can gripe about the schools or you can do something to make them better. You can gripe about your government or you can register, vote and CHANGE it as we have just done (Thank God Almmighty!).
You can put America down and do nothing or you can lift America up by doing something!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Look you folks can sit around here and gripe about your country and put her down if you want to. You can waste your whole life talking about America this and America that. OR you can do something to change the things you don't like. You can gripe about the homeless or you can help them. We will be looking for you Monday- please feel free to drop some food off or give a hand!
You can gripe about the schools or you can do something to make them better. You can gripe about your government or you can register, vote and CHANGE it as we have just done (Thank God Almmighty!).
You can put America down and do nothing or you can lift America up by doing something!
Other people aren't our responsibility. Our only responsibility is to ourselves.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That sounds good in theory, but in reality sadly, things aren't the same. Just look, we have a Congress that voted for a 700 billion dollar bailout for Wall Street that most Americans didn't approve of (I know I didn't). But, what could we say or do? We voted and we put them there to make those toughy decisions for us; and look what they do. We live in a country that borrows three billion A DAY from China and has spent three billion in Iraq a week since 02. I know I didn't vote for either of those. We trust our government people to work for us, the people, but in reality they work for their special interest and buddies. I love America at her roots and what she stands for, but, I don't love what she has become.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
That sounds good in theory, but in reality sadly, things aren't the same. Just look, we have a Congress that voted for a 700 billion dollar bailout for Wall Street that most Americans didn't approve of (I know I didn't). But, what could we say or do? We voted and we put them there to make those toughy decisions for us; and look what they do. We live in a country that borrows three billion A DAY from China and has spent three billion in Iraq a week since 02. I know I didn't vote for either of those. We trust our government people to work for us, the people, but in reality they work for their special interest and buddies. I love America at her roots and what she stands for, but, I don't love what she has become.
But you can always leave, and I am not talking sarcastically. Many people on the globe live in countries they hate but are not free to leave.
Unlike people from other countries, most americans didn't live in (or visited) foreign places. Why not try that for a while? It will open many horizons.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
But you can always leave, and I am not talking sarcastically. Many people on the globe live in countries they hate but are not free to leave.
Unlike people from other countries, most americans didn't live in (or visited) foreign places. Why not try that for a while? It will open many horizons.
I'm in college right now (studying as a political science major, figures ) and I plan on studying abroad for a year or so, so I will leave U.S. soil for a little while. I've always wanted to at least live in another country for a little while to broaden my horizons and learn about many a new people. I think living in the U.S. is like one of those love hate relationships where you just want to get away but always end up coming back. I love America because of what she stands for and for her uniqueness, but I hate how her values have been twisted, gnarled, and raped for the sake of getting ahead and greed. Makes me very sad when I hear and see political factions going at it when their only reason for saying some things is to divide America (Bill O'Reilly and his friends, Pelosi and hers). I hope that I (and many others like myself) can bring a change to America and restore her to her original values so that we can bring an end to all this "crazies on the left, wimps on the right," mentality that only serves to fuel political pundits and the hate they spew.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Other people aren't our responsibility. Our only responsibility is to ourselves.
That's really refreshing to hear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies