Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Intelligent Design on Trial

I think maybe the push against religion is underestimated by some folks in here. "Policy" in this case was one paragraph. While the case was not really in the highest upholding it focuses mainly on religion in any form is not allowable. One paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I really hope that wasn't intended as an answer to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well do tell... what classes did you have that taught you anything about religion other than mentioning that a culture follows a specific one? What classes went into detail about their beliefs, following, scriptures..etc..

Also add what decade you went graduated if you don't mind.
My best friend is a teacher in a public school in the South, and teaches about religion in his classes currently. He teaches 7th and 8th grade social studies. There is a difference between teaching about religion(s) and teaching a religion (as some sort of truth). Religion is also covered in English classes. For instance, a student is welcome to discuss the religious threads/themes/ references in a certain book.

To get back OT, the "theory of evolution" is a scientific theory, appropriately taught in science class alongside of the "theory of gravity," because these theories have been confirmed through repeated experimental tests. The stories of the Bible/Koran/etc. can not meet such a standard, and therefore are left to English and Social Studies class.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I see. So god is a fact? Show me the evidence.

sure, read the bible.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sure, read the bible.
Well, there goes that argument. Probably the weakest "argument" I've seen, congratulations!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I really hope that wasn't intended as an answer to me.
This is what I meant by acrimonious. I have no clue how old you are but you are not "up on time". In 4th grade we stopped saying the pledge of allegiance because of one nation under god. Though I don't recall all the details that's hardly forgettable. I don't think it went down like that nation wide..... on that day.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

the theory of evolution is exactly that, a theory not fact.
So is gravity. Why don't you jump off a building and disprove it? Do you understand the word "theory" as it is used in science?

A scientific theory or law represents an hypothesis, or a group of related hypotheses, which has been confirmed through repeated experimental tests. Theories in physics are often formulated in terms of a few concepts and equations, which are identified with "laws of nature," suggesting their universal applicability. Accepted scientific theories and laws become part of our understanding of the universe and the basis for exploring less well-understood areas of knowledge. Theories are not easily discarded; new discoveries are first assumed to fit into the existing theoretical framework. It is only when, after repeated experimental tests, the new phenomenon cannot be accommodated that scientists seriously question the theory and attempt to modify it. The validity that we attach to scientific theories as representing realities of the physical world is to be contrasted with the facile invalidation implied by the expression, "It's only a theory." For example, it is unlikely that a person will step off a tall building on the assumption that they will not fall, because "Gravity is only a theory." Introduction to the Scientific Method

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
My best friend is a teacher in a public school in the South, and teaches about religion in his classes currently. He teaches 7th and 8th grade social studies. There is a difference between teaching about religion(s) and teaching a religion (as some sort of truth). Religion is also covered in English classes. For instance, a student is welcome to discuss the religious threads/themes/ references in a certain book.

This is hardly off topic. One would have to wonder why controversial is in the title if it's unanimously agreed to. Your friend teaches or is in a different environment than I grew up in. The only mention of religions were in SS and there was hardly any detail. Any class that would have a name like say for example, Theological studies, it would have never made it past the electrical impulse in the brain of whoever came up with it and the after school organizations that had anything to do with religion were discontinued. Be it this was in a school that was about 1 mile from a former PGA tour golf course predominantly white highly religious area. I can only speak for my personal experiences and I have friends that teach but they are not in HS and I have never really asked them anything about religion.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I think we need to be careful about how we state our positions here. Do I believe living organisms have the ability to adapt to a changing environment? Yes., of course I do. Do I believe that the jump from a pool of organic compounds to living organisms happened spontaneously. No, that's ridiculous on the face of it. If it were possible, the scientific community would have already done it. They've tried, but they can't. So I'm sceptical when they tell me that they don't need a god to explain what they don't understand. The idea of a Creator is a logical next step in the thought process. It is however, a step that scientists with an atheist agenda cannot take. Their books speculate about what may have happened in the past without direct proof. My book, the Bible, has accurately predicted future events hundreds and thousands of years forward without error or omission. I'll put my stock in that book.

http://www.ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters1-9.pdf

Bible Prophecy - Ellis Skolfield

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

Mathematical Bible Prophecy
Actually science has created life recently.

Scientists create artificial life in the laboratory - from four bottles of chemicals| News | This is London

Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, there goes that argument. Probably the weakest "argument" I've seen, congratulations!

like they have always said, there is no such thing as an athiest in the foxhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies