Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times

Advertisements

Ok, 'horror' may be a bit extreme in my case but I'm so irritated I had to post it somewhere.

I have a recent compression fracture (disc) and as I was crossing a street in my neighborhood, I looked both ways--no cars were coming. By the time I got half way across the street, there was one headed straight for me doing about five miles over the speed limit. I couldn't speed up to hurry to the other side b'c it hurt too much to walk so I was basically shuffling my way across. Instead of going around me, as there were no cars coming the other direction, the driver blasted his horn at me.

I printed up a handicap sign I'm gluing to a piece of cardboard and next time I see this driver--he's a neighborhood resident, I've seen him many times as I checked my mailbox by the side of the road--I'm throwing the sign at him. Or, maybe I'll signal for him to stop and when he does, I'll put it on his windshield and tell him it's to remind him that there may be handicapped people walking about so try to remember not to scare them half to death by impatiently blasting his horn at them while they're trying to cross the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

What about going over to his house and speaking with him privately about this? If you end with a handshake it's likely he'll be more thoughtful. But let him know you'll report him next time.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

What about going over to his house and speaking with him privately about this? If you end with a handshake it's likely he'll be more thoughtful. But let him know you'll report him next time.
That's an idea--if I knew where he lived. I just happen to see him now and then b'c my mailbox is near the entrance to the neighborhood so many cars are familiar to me. My remedy was basically a knee-jerk reaction I initially fantasized about but I'll bet you're right--it might make more of an impact on him to see I'm a human being with some reasoning and decency and he should try it (I'll refrain from phrasing it that way )

Old 01-17-2009, 07:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
That's an idea--if I knew where he lived. I just happen to see him now and then b'c my mailbox is near the entrance to the neighborhood so many cars are familiar to me. My remedy was basically a knee-jerk reaction I initially fantasized about but I'll bet you're right--it might make more of an impact on him to see I'm a human being with some reasoning and decency and he should try it (I'll refrain from phrasing it that way )
Hmmm... to find out where he lives, what about if you drive or can enlist a friend to drive/help, you could park up by the mailboxes and wait for him to come back from work and follow him home? IMO dont give up on this, if only for the sake of your peace of mind. Life's tough enough

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
In my state it's the law that vehicles must stop for pedestrians who are anywhere in the crosswalk...(and common sense to stop for anything in the roadway)report him to the police...he's a jerk and a dangerous driver.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
In my state it's the law that vehicles must stop for pedestrians who are anywhere in the crosswalk...(and common sense to stop for anything in the roadway)report him to the police...he's a jerk and a dangerous driver.
I think that's the law where I am too--Washington state. There are no 'crosswalks', per se in our neighborhood but I did cross at the corner. I'm not normally handicapped but it just made me wonder how much rudeness and ignorance physically impaired people have to contend with.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

That's the law in lots of places, but unfortunately it's a law that's often broken because so many people are jerks and dangerous drivers.

I almost got run over in a crosswalk once with a cop standing right next to me directing traffic. The cop did not even try to pull over the jerk who almost ran me down; he just said "Jeezus Christ!".

The roads in this country are a dangerous place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies