Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought she might have learned her lessons after almost blowing the original rescue package by running her mouth the mindless one strikes again. As we are facing the greatest set of issues we as a nation have confronted in decades Nancy wants to spin us apart and divert our focus as she dribbles away.

Glenn Thrush's Blog: Pelosi vows Bush probe, open to prosecutions - Politico.com
In a Sunday Fox interview that's sure to get the attention of box-packers at 1600, Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated she's open to backing prosecutions that arise from Congressional hearings into a range of controversial Bush White House actions.

"I think you look at each item and see what is a violation of the law and do we even have a right to ignore it," the California Democrat told Chris Wallace.

Last week House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-Mich.) called for criminal investigations of Bush administration Iraq and anti-terror policies.

Why oh why Nancy? Did you think anyone elected you on Nov 4? Do you need a public smack down by the public to understand your real insignificance in positive change? Maybe we need to focus less on Sarah and let Nancy replace her as a source of entertainment or foot in mouth disease poster child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Pelosi Open to Prosecution of Bush Administration Officials | Political News - FOXNews.com
She hinted that the law might compel Democrats to press forth on some prosecutions, even if they are politically unpopular, adding: "That's not up to us to say that doesn't matter anymore."

"We cannot let the politicizing of, for example, the Justice Department to go unreviewed," she added. "I want to see the truth come forth."

Yes Nancy Yes. Reignite the culture war just as it appears to be easing and we develop consensus. Darn that Obama going to dinner with conservative writers and talking to the Republicans. We need to drive a wedge in the all of this consensus building after all you are a majority something or the other.

Maybe Nancy on a visit home to San Fran will slide into the ocean one day find a log to drift to a far away place. Yes Nancy your congressional district is certainly a valid sampling of Americana and you are fully qualified to speak for the nation having been elected by them and no one else.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
I agree with you. I've never been a fan of Pelosi and disagree with her on this issue. I certainly don't want to see the Democrats going the same route the GOP did with Clinton. Time to MOVE ON.

Ken

Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
So, what you are saying is that we should IGNORE A LAW SIGNED BY REAGAN, that REQUIRES us to PROSECUTE those who tortured? I guess the Republican Party is no longer the party of law and order.

golfgod

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
That wasn't all. She also gleefully announced that Social Security and Medicare will be chopped. She's no spring chicken -- we know Congressional reps get extremely generous pensions and I'm guessing that they keep their Cadillac health coverage, too? So, she'll keep her high-end lifestyle and won't have to worry about getting sick but she DOES begrudge others the ability to see a doctor (if they can find one who will accept Medicare) and live just above the poverty level?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
So, what you are saying is that we should IGNORE A LAW SIGNED BY REAGAN, that REQUIRES us to PROSECUTE those who tortured? I guess the Republican Party is no longer the party of law and order.

golfgod
Well, we certainly know the Democratice Party ISN'T. Allowing a man who REFUSED to show his original birth certificate to become the president. Now that's really following the Constitution!!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
It's a tough issue.

I for one definitely value a working relationship that (hopefully) seems to be developing between polarized parties as Obama steps in and puts his stamp on the presidency more than pursuing "war crimes" that happened in tough circumstances after a terrorist attack.

But in the same respect, disregard for laws should be prosecuted, if applicable (and I am not nearly informed enough to know whether any were truely broken or not, nor am I in a position to interpret law). Just saying. If we live in a country where I can theoretically get punished for smoking pot - as it is technically "breaking the law" ... then I believe the same standard should be held to everyone on every level, no matter who it is and/or what law it is - out of blunt fairness, if nothing less.

But, as I said, if we are speaking of a political trade-off, I would be willing to look past tough issues that arose in tough times if it meant we can actually have a better chance of somehow having any semblance of a united government under Obama that actually does something for its people instead of bicker with each other and pander to bases over stuff like this. Catch 22.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod

We need to prioritize and use common sense as to what is necessary and who is necessary to save our rear ends. It is called JUDGMENT. Congress has a terrible approval rating, the American people in mass are more interested in doing what is necessary to collectively solve our crisis.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
It's a tough issue.

I for one definitely value a working relationship that (hopefully) seems to be developing between polarized parties as Obama steps in and puts his stamp on the presidency more than pursuing "war crimes" that happened in tough circumstances after a terrorist attack.

But in the same respect, disregard for laws should be prosecuted, if applicable (and I am not nearly informed enough to know whether any were truely broken or not, nor am I in a position to interpret law). Just saying. If we live in a country where I can theoretically get punished for smoking pot - as it is technically "breaking the law" ... then I believe the same standard should be held to everyone on every level, no matter who it is and/or what law it is - out of blunt fairness, if nothing less.

But, as I said, if we are speaking of a political trade-off, I would be willing to look past tough issues that arose in tough times if it meant we can actually have a better chance of somehow having any semblance of a united government under Obama that actually does something for its people instead of bicker with each other and pander to bases over stuff like this. Catch 22.
Amen and that would be change we all can believe in. Well maybe not all San Francisco is sorta unique and out there.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I agree with you. I've never been a fan of Pelosi and disagree with her on this issue. I certainly don't want to see the Democrats going the same route the GOP did with Clinton. Time to MOVE ON.

Ken
Why would it be the same route? What Clinton did was not illegal.

Bush committed war crimes. You want to move on from war crimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies