Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No.
It will come back right to the business. Americans love to spend and the more people who have money to spend to put back into the economy the better. Businesses start to do bad when not many people have money to spend there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
it doesnt really matter what it is...gov't raises min. wage, business raises prices...they're are just going in a circle...the poor cant catch a break
No wait - we have the government - the fix it ticket. They can just put a maximum limit on all prices. We then can all make enough and never worry about things getting more expensive.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Minimum wage increase hurts the business owner. People who work for minimun wage are students, people who are retired. You should not be depending on a minimum wage job to support a family. So what difference does it make for the student if he is making 5 or 7 dollors an hour???
You cannot get some people to understand this.

Min wage needs to be lowered, not raised.

People who work for min wage are usually unskilled people who can only do easy labor jobs that takes no skills, students or retired people who just want to earn some extra money without doing much.

If you lowered min wage you would see jobs all over the place for those who want to work.

Why cant some people realize a small business cannot pay someone who is worth 3.00 per hour 10.00 per hour?

The employee is hired to MAKE MONEY FOR THE EMPLOYER or they are not needed.

I wish people would stop trying to steal from the smart business owner and hand it to some unskilled person who wants to lean of a broom for 8 hours.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You cannot get some people to understand this.

Min wage needs to be lowered, not raised.

People who work for min wage are usually unskilled people who can only do easy labor jobs that takes no skills, students or retired people who just want to earn some extra money without doing much.

If you lowered min wage you would see jobs all over the place for those who want to work.

Why cant some people realize a small business cannot pay someone who is worth 3.00 per hour 10.00 per hour?

The employee is hired to MAKE MONEY FOR THE EMPLOYER or they are not needed.

I wish people would stop trying to steal from the smart business owner and hand it to some unskilled person who wants to lean of a broom for 8 hours.
Min is not for students or retired people. Have you been in any store lately? Students only can work a certain amount of hours a week by law.Who do you think are working those when students are at school. If a person is working is retired they would not be working. Again this is your opinion because you have no facts to back this up which I am not suprised because all the things you post are not fact based.So all an employee is good for is making money yeah that[s great why not just go back to slavery so they make the most money for business owners. How is that working for countries all over the world when there employees are making barely anything and live in extreme poverty? That is what you want to happen here? Do you have any facts a small business can not pay $10 an hour of course not. Here are some articles that show they can.

Why Some Employers Support a Minimum Wage Increase - NYTimes.com

A 2004 study by the Fiscal Policy Institute examined the impact of minimum wage increases on small businesses. Their analysis focused on various outcomes for businesses with less than 50 employees, comparing outcomes in states with minimum wages higher than federal level to those with minimums at the federal level. They found that:
  • Between 1998 and 2001, the number of small business establishments grew twice as quickly in states with higher minimum wages;
  • Retail employment grew 1.5 times more quickly in high minimum wage states; and,
  • Annual and average payroll growth was faster in higher minimum wage states.
Their analysis, like others, does not conclude that increasing the minimum wage will boost employment growth over what it otherwise would have been. Nonetheless, the report points out that "What does seem to be clear…is that it is hard to sustain the argument made by some observers that an increase in the minimum wage will result in adverse aggregate employment outcomes."
Certainly, there are some individual businesses that could be disadvantaged by increasing the minimum wage. But, in general, any negative impacts are likely to be so small that they would be undetectable at a macro level.

Minimum Wage Increase Is Good for Business | | AlterNet

Minimum Wage -- It Just Doesn't Add Up

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
Without reading the whole thread, i'll make my comments. Sure it should be raised. Have you tried living on $5/hour? It's impossible. However...something like this should be in the same bill that gives the tax cuts to businesses and millionaires. Isn't this what Republicans argue in favor of...trickle down economics? so whats the harm in forcing the trickle down with the tax cut? This way we ensure that trickle down happens for the lowest workers rather than just ensuring more money in a corporations or millionaires pockets.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Min is not for students or retired people. Have you been in any store lately? Students only can work a certain amount of hours a week by law.Who do you think are working those when students are at school. If a person is working is retired they would not be working. Again this is your opinion because you have no facts to back this up which I am not suprised because all the things you post are not fact based.So all an employee is good for is making money yeah that[s great why not just go back to slavery so they make the most money for business owners. How is that working for countries all over the world when there employees are making barely anything and live in extreme poverty? That is what you want to happen here? Do you have any facts a small business can not pay $10 an hour of course not. Here are some articles that show they can.

Why Some Employers Support a Minimum Wage Increase - NYTimes.com

A 2004 study by the Fiscal Policy Institute examined the impact of minimum wage increases on small businesses. Their analysis focused on various outcomes for businesses with less than 50 employees, comparing outcomes in states with minimum wages higher than federal level to those with minimums at the federal level. They found that:
  • Between 1998 and 2001, the number of small business establishments grew twice as quickly in states with higher minimum wages;
  • Retail employment grew 1.5 times more quickly in high minimum wage states; and,
  • Annual and average payroll growth was faster in higher minimum wage states.
Their analysis, like others, does not conclude that increasing the minimum wage will boost employment growth over what it otherwise would have been. Nonetheless, the report points out that "What does seem to be clear…is that it is hard to sustain the argument made by some observers that an increase in the minimum wage will result in adverse aggregate employment outcomes."
Certainly, there are some individual businesses that could be disadvantaged by increasing the minimum wage. But, in general, any negative impacts are likely to be so small that they would be undetectable at a macro level.

Minimum Wage Increase Is Good for Business | | AlterNet

Minimum Wage -- It Just Doesn't Add Up

You get paid based on what your worth and value to the employer is period. Why overpay someone who has little to no value.

I always provide facts but you seem to not be able to understand them.

As a business owner who had 27 employees at one time I can tell you that several people out of a group were NOT worth for me to even pay minimum wage. They had no skills or value and either myself of others had to babysit them the entire 8 hours.

A business is run to make a profit but I do not expect a liberal to understand that.

I invested tons of money in my business and spent 16-20 days working it for many years so I sure do not want to pay someone who is worth 3.00 per hour 10.00 per hour.

If they were so skilled or smart they would not have shown up for a job right? They would be starting their own business.

When you hire someone they agree to WORK for said amount and if they cannot provide you work in return for a profit then they are no longer worth having.

I know you are for someone showing up and paying them 10.00 per hour for standing around with their hands in their pockets.

Slavery has NOTHING to do with this issue at all and you know it.

Its called learn a skill, get yourself educated, learn a trade to make yourself more valuable. Or if you are so good why are you could start your own business.

Those who post nonsense here and who have never had employees would never understand.

If you a business owner has to pay 10 people 10.00 per hour and at the end of the day the workers make more money then the OWNER then something is wrong. Either the workers are not producing or are overpaid.

Min wage increases kill small businesses, no report or study can make me think different. I owned a business and saw what it did to my business as the employees got paid more money and never increased their output or value therefore I lose money on these increases. I usually laid off a few here and there when min wage went up to cover for the money lost due to them not being worth the value of the increase.

Most employees who are worth more already were paid more to begin with.

When you work 16 hour days, have the smarts to create a great business from scratch and build it to 27 employees then you can tell me what is right and what is wrong. Until then keep blowing for the unskilled, non talented among us who want to STEAL money from a much smarter talent business owner.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Without reading the whole thread, i'll make my comments. Sure it should be raised. Have you tried living on $5/hour? It's impossible. However...something like this should be in the same bill that gives the tax cuts to businesses and millionaires. Isn't this what Republicans argue in favor of...trickle down economics? so whats the harm in forcing the trickle down with the tax cut? This way we ensure that trickle down happens for the lowest workers rather than just ensuring more money in a corporations or millionaires pockets.

If you are working for 5.00 per hour then that is your fault.

I made several hundred today just stopping by the local thrift store and finding items to re sell on ebay. I found a piece of Fenton Glass today that I can make 100 bucks on and it will be sold by this evening.

My nephew makes corn hole boards and makes no less then 500.00 per week profit doing so and he is still in high school.

If you do have to work for 5.00 per hour then you need to work 60-80 hours per week to make up for your needs and wants. Many people do work 60 or more hours per week. Then again many do not want to work more then 30 and do not want to work night or weekends either.
Be creative and think.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
If they increase the federal minimun wage mom and pop businesses in El Paso, TX will shut down.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If they increase the federal minimun wage mom and pop businesses in El Paso, TX will shut down.

I know several small businesses who got hurt big time with the last increase and they will let all of their employees go and do the work themselves if they get forced into overpaying employees again.

We already had to deal with my bank letting go of tellers when they did this ad the increase cost my banks many employees real quick.

They cannot pay someone 10.00 per hour to sit on a chair and cash your check for you.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I know of three business that shut down after the increase to 7.25 per hour. Many times owners think they can step up and run the business but soon realize that they cannot be behind the counter and running the business at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies