Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

"There are diminishing resources available to those who seek to get out of poverty"

There were no resources during the Great Depression. Unemployed got squat, and people worked harder than ever to overcome it. To think they cannot as you do, is looking down your nose at them, instead of challenging them to overcome obstacles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM

CK78:"We're in a finite world. "

LOL, you say that over the internet, which is responsible for hundreds of thousands of jobs whihc did NOT exist 25 years ago. So much for finite. New industries emerge in each generation. Bill Gates parents could not have imagined what he created just 20 years prior.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
We're in a finite world. The idea that we can create an infinite amount of wealth is ridiculous. ......
I believe the truth is in between. Compared to the 1820's, when the vast majority of the US population was basically involved in subsistence agriculture, what we have today is amazingly close to "an infinite amount of wealth."

If you look at forty year spans, the increase in wealth, productivity and prosperity has been amazing--1890 to 1930, 1930 to 1970, 1970 to 2010. If individual incentives to unlock one's own potential remain strong, there is no telling how fabulous the country will be in 2050.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
CK78:"We're in a finite world. "

LOL, you say that over the internet, which is responsible for hundreds of thousands of jobs whihc did NOT exist 25 years ago. So much for finite. New industries emerge in each generation. Bill Gates parents could not have imagined what he created just 20 years prior.
Yep, still millions short. Billions if you take the world as a whole. So much for finite.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Amen, marcopolo, and we were spoiled by a ridiculously hyper employment market for deacdes, so much so we forgot 6 percent unemp was full employment-we were far below it just 3.5 years ago.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
If you count the unemployed being counted and those not being counted: not collecting, given up looking, "dropped out" of the workforce, those on disability, welfare etc...
If you just look at the pay out rate for unemployment it corresponds to a historic rate of over 17% for the last month I’ve found number for.

So just counting those that are getting checks...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
I do not have faith in corporations.
I do. I certainly am not going to try to buy my next car from you, or a week's worth of groceries, or the clothes I wear, or appliances, etc., etc., etc. You could not provide these things to me.

For each of these needs, corporations fit the bill. I will continue to support the ones that provide me with the most value for the money.

I don't have faith in Annie Metal.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,907 times
Should it be increased again after it's just been increased? Well the Republicans want to cut taxes for the rich, again, after they've just been cut so I don't see why not.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
So then the real question is who's reasonability is it???

It sure is not my responsibility if you eat or, worry.

Look like it is back to you.
Of course it is not your responsibility. You seem to only care about yourself and what you can get and if someone fails you will say oh well it is there fault. Like I said before this is the same thought process that Hitler and people who own slaves had who cares about other people as long as I can prosper. It never is a good thing. It is not your responsibility as long as it does not happen to you right? I am sure if you were poor you would think differently.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"There are diminishing resources available to those who seek to get out of poverty"

There were no resources during the Great Depression. Unemployed got squat, and people worked harder than ever to overcome it. To think they cannot as you do, is looking down your nose at them, instead of challenging them to overcome obstacles.
The people who overcame it like the thousands who became homeless during the Great Depression? The Great Depression was overcome because of the war and the government not people working hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies