Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So the wage should benefit only people who were smart or rich enough to go to college or trade school. .
who said that

I started out taking autoshop in high school

got a job as a newcar prep/ mechanics helper at a dealership..making 9/hr (and that was back in 1980)

worked my way up to class "c" mechanic...to class "b"...to class "a"...to shop foreman...to maintenance supervisor

do you really think people with no skill should START OUT at 30/hr

you start at the bottom and WORK (I know a four letter word to liberals) you way up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
allow the INDIVIDUAL to help to set THIER salery based on their INDIVIDUAL skill
Yes and they are required to go to school. The public school system is graduating close to 50% illiterate pupils in some places. If you take someone that doesn’t speak English you can teach them to read English out loud in a matter of days. After 13 years of public education they still can’t read. This is a design fault of the education system. It is hard to have someone in the system for that long and to not teach them how to read. If you want to abolish the minimum wage then you should abolish mandatory education as well.

Quote:
no wages should reflect your skill set
Give everyone a good public education and I’d be more inclined to agree with you. Above the minimum wage I do agree with you.

Quote:
""newone's"" idea is to have the minimum wage be around 30/hr....what do you think that will do to the SKILLED workers that are CURRENTLY earning 30/hr???
They would be asking for a raise. What I am arguing for is wage price inflation. We need to balance wages and the cost of homes. Homes were overpriced. It takes a long time for the price to fall to where it is sustainable. Wage inflation is fast we can restore balance between the price of homes and the price of labor much faster with a much higher minimum wage.
Quote:

the minimum wage is only for the unskill ENTRYLEVEL workers anyhow...about 1% of the workers

and should not be set at the FEDERAL level....because the cost of living is different around the country

while you could probably live quite comfortable on 8/hr in mississippi..you would need 25/hr to do that same living in new york
With upping the minimum wage we would tend to equalize the pay structure across the country at least temporarily.
Quote:

example:
if the min wage was still 5/hr
as an owner of a mechanic shop; I employ:

1 shop foreman----$30/hr
1 lead mechanic----$26/hr
3 mechanics------$23/hr
1 parts manager----25/hr
1 parts clerk/driver---$15
1 laborer----------$7

so we raise the minimum wage from 5+ to 7+.....now I have to give the laborer (unskilled) a raise...guess what now my parts driver want more because he has a skill...then my mechanics want more....etc...so everyone is going to have to get something, and then my prices I charge will have to go up.....
Multiply this across the whole economy and the prices of houses go up as well and that will get the economy turned around.
Quote:
or I will have to let someone go

see the engima(consequenses) of raising the minimum
Now if you have a spike in business along with the bump in minimum wage then you can raise prices without letting someone go.

Quote:

The schools now aren't what they were then.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
who said that

got a job as a newcar prep/ mechanics helper at a dealership..making 9/hr (and that was back in 1980)

worked my way up to class "c" mechanic...to class "b"...to class "a"...to shop foreman...to maintenance supervisor

do you really think people with no skill should START OUT at 30/hr

you start at the bottom and WORK (I know a four letter word to liberals) you way up
No I never said that they should make 30hr that was someone else but they should have enough to be able to live on maybe at least 10 or 11 dollars. Do you not understand that not everyone can work there way up though? If everyone worked there way up tons of business would go broke since they would not have ay entry level people to work for them. Hotels would because there would be no one to check people in or clean the rooms. Restaurants would go out of business because they would have no one to work there when teens are at school.There would be no movie theaters, them parks because everyone got a better position. Not sure why you can t get that concept.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

""newone's"" idea is to have the minimum wage be around 30/hr....what do you think that will do to the SKILLED workers that are CURRENTLY earning 30/hr???

the minimum wage is only for the unskill ENTRYLEVEL workers anyhow...about 1% of the workers

and should not be set at the FEDERAL level....because the cost of living is different around the country

while you could probably live quite comfortable on 8/hr in mississippi..you would need 25/hr to do that same living in new york

example:

1 shop foreman----$30/hr
3 mechanics------$23/hr
1 parts manager----25/hr
1 laborer----------$7

so we raise the minimum wage from 5+ to 7+.....now I have to give the laborer (unskilled) a raise...guess what now my parts driver want more because he has a skill...then my mechanics want more....etc...so everyone is going to have to get something, and then my prices I charge will have to go up.....or I will have to let someone go

I really doubt you could live on $8 comfortably in Mississippi. All that will buy you is a crappy apartment or run down trailer. How would the others in your company know he got a raise unless he or you told them? How do you know they would want a raise? This is all just hypothesis based on a fake scenario. Like I have said before if you can not pay your laborer a decent wage why do you even have him there besides to pay him almost nothing to work for you?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Minimum wage laws do two things:

1) Eliminate jobs

2) Raise unemployment levels. Particualry among black male teenagers.

That is the only two things they do. Well, expect buy votes form dumb asses who don't understand economics.

P.S This is what labor unions do also. Eliminate jobs, discriminate against minorities and suppress wages.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

1) Eliminate jobs

That is the only two things they do. Well, expect buy votes form dumb asses who don't understand economics.

P.S This is what labor unions do also. Eliminate jobs, discriminate against minorities and suppress wages.

This is all your opinion unless you give evidence of this.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
This is all your opinion unless you give evidence of this.
Laws of economics and history say that my opinion is indeed fact.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,677 times
Quote:

1) Eliminate jobs
Yes and no. Setting a minimum wage tends to mean that I’m not going to pay someone to do this because it isn’t worth that per hr to be done. So that job won’t be done with a minimum wage. But with full employment something that is more valuable to be done will take its place. So it will eliminate a particular job. But it will not eliminate employment.
Quote:

If you educate someone to be worth $5 per hr and then set the minimum wage @ $7 per hr then those people will be unemployed. That black youth tend to get a defective education is wrong and needs to be fixed, having said that unemployment levels are a function of the macroeconomic picture not the minimum wage. During a national recession where I lived had a lot of spending going on in preparation for a really big party. The unemployment rate was very low (locally) indeed at that time. You could have upped the minimum wage to a relatively high level then and not had a change in the employment level.
Quote:

Hmmm how well do you understand economics? Upping the minimum wage can cause wage/price inflation, if you put into circulation enough money to get full employment at the same time. So that is a third thing that minimum wages laws can do.
Quote:

Show me how please?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,955 times
Quote:

example:

1 shop foreman----$30/hr
3 mechanics------$23/hr
1 parts manager----25/hr
1 laborer----------$7

so we raise the minimum wage from 5+ to 7+.....now I have to give the laborer (unskilled) a raise...guess what now my parts driver want more because he has a skill...then my mechanics want more....etc...so everyone is going to have to get something, and then my prices I charge will have to go up.....or I will have to let someone go

Yep, God forbid if you only go on three vacations instead of four for handing out raises. The horror

Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
Minimum wages. If minimum wages increase, either unemployment increases, or the price of goods will have to increase as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies