Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times

Advertisements

No more job-killing moves from Uncle Sam if you please, although this President will continue to blindly & ignorantly continue to do just that, only to be left wondering why the unemployment rate is still far too high for him to have any hope of getting re-elected.

Increasing the minimum wage has been conclusively shown to result in an increase in the unemployment rate, and that's been the case for several decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
No more job-killing moves from Uncle Sam if you please, although this President will continue to blindly & ignorantly continue to do just that, only to be left wondering why the unemployment rate is still far too high for him to have any hope of getting re-elected.

Increasing the minimum wage has been conclusively shown to result in an increase in the unemployment rate, and that's been the case for several decades.

Since when does it cause unemployment. You are going to have to show that the two correspond with each other. During the Reagan period when min wage was going down unemployment was going up.Economics depends on the "other things equal" assumption. Statistics never have other things equal unless there is a controlled experiment, which is by definition impossible in economics. Only abstract thought can effectively reproduce the other-things-equal assumption.Keeping the wages of workers "artificially" high in fact can increase employment, rather than the opposite. This is because the workers are also the consumers. The more money they receive through wages, the more money they have to spend on commodities. This in turn allows more sales and thus more reason for businesses to open or expanded to fulfil the increased demand. Therefore, higher employment.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on a minimum wage increase?

I think its ironic that people have objections to the increase from 5.15 to 7.25
an hour at the federal level, many states have already raised the minumum wage to about that level.

According to the CBO in the next 5 years the minimum wage increase would cost 16.5 billion dollars from private sector employers.

I personally think that government should cover half the cost of the 16.5 billion dollar in wage hikes do to the minimum wage increase. That way the small locally owned retail and service companies wouldnt need to lay people off if this passes or cut hours.

I think a good idea would be for the goverment to cover the increase in minimum wage in economically depressed counties with unemployment rates above say 6% or in areas with poverty rates above 15%. That way the employer would still only have to pay 5.15 and the government could pay the 2.10.

While minimum wage hikes are good alot of small and medium sized retail and food servicecompanies in economically depressed areas could need to lay people off if this increase passes, so thus I dont see why the government doesnt cover the minimum wage increase for these companies.
A well thought out argument but if you are going to ignore the law of supply and demand why not raise minimum wage to $40.00/hour? After all I have never heard of a company closing because they raised minimum wage.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Minimum wage laws should be abolished.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Minimum wage laws do two things:

1) Eliminate jobs

2) Raise unemployment levels. Particualry among black male teenagers.

That is the only two things they do. Well, expect buy votes form dumb asses who don't understand economics.

P.S This is what labor unions do also. Eliminate jobs, discriminate against minorities and suppress wages.

Historically, union contracts were typically tied to some multiple (say, 200 percent) of the minimum wage, so they were usually in the lead advocating increases.

Many people argue that minimum wage was never intended to pay enough to live on, but opponents really don't have anything else to offer adults actually trying to live on minimum wage.b

Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Make housing affordable and a lot of people will stop asking for a higher minimum wage.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the minimum wage is only for the unskill ENTRYLEVEL workers anyhow...about 1% of the workers

and should not be set at the FEDERAL level....because the cost of living is different around the country

while you could probably live quite comfortable on 8/hr in mississippi..you would need 25/hr to do that same living in new york

example:
if the min wage was still 5/hr
as an owner of a mechanic shop; I employ:

1 shop foreman----$30/hr
1 lead mechanic----$26/hr
3 mechanics------$23/hr
1 parts manager----25/hr
1 parts clerk/driver---$15
1 laborer----------$7

so we raise the minimum wage from 5+ to 7+.....now I have to give the laborer (unskilled) a raise...guess what now my parts driver want more because he has a skill...then my mechanics want more....etc...so everyone is going to have to get something, and then my prices I charge will have to go up.....or I will have to let someone go

see the engima(consequenses) of raising the minimum
]

I've worked retail jobs where 10-year employees were paid 20 cents above minimum wage. They're unskilled after ten years on the job?

I've had jobs delivering pizzas where I was paid above minimum, then when minimum went up, I was paid the new minimum (rather than above minimum like I had been earning). Just because an employee WANTS more doesn't mean you have to give it to him.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Yep, God forbid if you only go on three vacations instead of four for handing out raises. The horror

I once had an employer who had two dozen employees working for minimum wage (or a few cents more); his hobby was globetrotting and he spent about three months every year (usually several trips of two to four weeks each) overseas.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Minimum wage laws should be abolished.

Housing supply controls should be abolished.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I once had an employer who had two dozen employees working for minimum wage (or a few cents more); his hobby was globetrotting and he spent about three months every year (usually several trips of two to four weeks each) overseas.

Good for him. We should honor those who have the energy and are willing to take a risk starting a company. It's very hard work and most small businesses fail. That's why most people choose to not even try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies