Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
$10 an hour is fair in all but WALMARTISTAN. There $3 an hour will do
Please I doubt there is any major retailer starting their cashiers at $10 an hour. I know for sure that Sears, JC Penny, Kohls, Target and Bed Bath & Beyond aren't as I was offered employment at all of them when I was looking for some seasonal work. Kohls actually told me they're starting rate was $7....don't know why people believe wal-mart is the grinch that stole the who's paychecks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinsghost View Post
but you're the one suffering. Believe me, i'd gladly pack and move to even mars if america were to become another somalia... Your dream come true. Too bad, i plan on making you wait, and suffer.
Commie!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Commie!
McCarthy has been long dead but you're doing a good job keeping his spirit alive.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
McCarthy has been long dead but kudos to you for keeping his spirit alive.
What does Comrade Eugene have to do with individual freedom?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
If Minimum Wage is the problem then why does small business flourish in places where the minimum is around $10 an hour and there are no WALMARTs. It is people who are too helpless to unionize that are the problem. Even in Communist China Walmasrt has a Union

Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Since Politicians are Public Servants...employed by Public Trust....I think they should set an example and work for minimum wage.....and pay their own health care like the rest of us currently have to. Not viable BUT get my point!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
wow they require a diploma and your coworkers are still on food stamps?
So people who graduate HS can not be on food stamps? Talk about stereotyping?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Since Politicians are Public Servants...employed by Public Trust....I think they should set an example and work for minimum wage.....and pay their own health care like the rest of us currently have to. Not viable BUT get my point!!!
Yes the minimum wage could be a certain percentage of their salary

Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Please I doubt there is any major retailer starting their cashiers at $10 an hour. I know for sure that Sears, JC Penny, Kohls, Target and Bed Bath & Beyond aren't as I was offered employment at all of them when I was looking for some seasonal work. Kohls actually told me they're starting rate was $7....don't know why people believe wal-mart is the grinch that stole the who's paychecks
Sam's Club in Santa Fe must because the minimum wage there is about $10 an hour. Same for Target in downtown San Francisco. The idea that we can compete by working for third world wages is GOP Propaganda. If we can't afford to buy, who will we sell to. We have been on a downward spiral for a decade. Henry Ford used to pay wages well over scale so his employess could afford a car.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on a minimum wage increase?

I think its ironic that people have objections to the increase from 5.15 to 7.25
an hour at the federal level, many states have already raised the minumum wage to about that level.

According to the CBO in the next 5 years the minimum wage increase would cost 16.5 billion dollars from private sector employers.

I personally think that government should cover half the cost of the 16.5 billion dollar in wage hikes do to the minimum wage increase. That way the small locally owned retail and service companies wouldnt need to lay people off if this passes or cut hours.

I think a good idea would be for the goverment to cover the increase in minimum wage in economically depressed counties with unemployment rates above say 6% or in areas with poverty rates above 15%. That way the employer would still only have to pay 5.15 and the government could pay the 2.10.

While minimum wage hikes are good alot of small and medium sized retail and food servicecompanies in economically depressed areas could need to lay people off if this increase passes, so thus I dont see why the government doesnt cover the minimum wage increase for these companies.
Depends on the area I guess.
In my area, there isn't a business (that I frequent, anyway) that relies on minimum wage employees.

I want the minimum wage to match its value from 30 years ago (dollar value adjusted for inflation, of course). And I'd want it indexed to inflation, so minimum wage is not continually devalued without manual adjustments to the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies