Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times

Advertisements

Staggeringly shameful time in history as Republicans continue to show that they are ineffective and champions of failure. Beohner puts forth a budget plan that stinks and even his own party is resistive to it. Debt negotiation failure ultimately falls on Pubs. They have failed the economy now for 11 straight years after Bush was given a surplus, and obviously don't belong at the table.

With Debt Vote Looming, House GOP Tries to Repair Its Fractured Coalition - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/debt-vote-looming-house-gop-tries-repair-fractured-235105283.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Staggeringly shameful time in history as Republicans continue to show that they are ineffective and champions of failure. Beohner puts forth a budget plan that stinks and even his own party is resistive to it. Debt negotiation failure ultimately falls on Pubs. They have failed the economy now for 11 straight years after Bush was given a surplus, and obviously don't belong at the table.

With Debt Vote Looming, House GOP Tries to Repair Its Fractured Coalition - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/debt-vote-looming-house-gop-tries-repair-fractured-235105283.html - broken link)
In all fairness at least speaker beohner has a plan, something mr obama is conspicuously lacking. You are aware of that aren't you?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In all fairness at least speaker beohner has a plan, something mr obama is conspicuously lacking. You are aware of that aren't you?
Obama isn't suposed to come up with a "plan" to raise the debt ceiling, congress is. Though, at Boehner and Cantor's insistance, he tried to work out a deal with them. The GOP pissed on Obama's leg, then yelled "Rain!"

The GOP decided this was a great time to put the ol' squeeze play on to get more slashes in domestic spending, and maybe start to erode SS and Medicare too (which conservatives have hated since day one).

So they deliberately turned a routine congressional "housekeeping" issue into a circus. The GOP is hoping to keep the economy in the toilet till 2012- what better way to do that than to force a default, then try to blame Obama?

Meanwhile, the markets are starting to react to the GOP "Operation Chaos"

I hope the whole thing blows up right in their faces. Come 2012, we will remember.

Any American who ever votes for a Republican again after this is nuts.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Obama isn't suposed to come up with a "plan" to raise the debt ceiling, congress is. Though, at Boehner and Cantor's insistance, he tried to work out a deal with them. The GOP pissed on Obama's leg, then yelled "Rain!"
In point of fact every president I've ever seen since jfk has advanced a budget plan. If I'm not mistaken....all american presidents have.

Quote:
The GOP decided this was a great time to put the ol' squeeze play on to get more slashes in domestic spending, and maybe start to erode SS and Medicare too (which conservatives have hated since day one).
The republicans are certainly trying to rein in federal spending. Unless they can affect change we won't have ss. As for medicare mr obama's healthcare plan has already gutted that program.

source
Quote:
........... In his analysis accompanying the recently released Annual Report of the Medicare Board of Trustees, Richard Foster, Medicare's chief actuary, noted that Medicare payment rates for doctors and hospitals serving seniors will be cut by 30% over the next three years. Under the policies of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, by 2019 Medicare payment rates will be lower than under Medicaid. Mr. Foster notes that by the end of the 75-year projection period in the Annual Medicare Trustees Report, Medicare payment rates will be one-third of what will be paid by private insurance, and only half of what is paid by Medicaid.

Altogether, ObamaCare cuts $818 billion from Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) from 2014-2023, the first 10 years of its full implementation, and $3.2 trillion over the first 20 years, 2014-2033. Adding in ObamaCare cuts for Medicare Part B (physicians fees and other services) brings the total cut to $1.05 trillion over the first 10 years and $4.95 trillion over the first 20 years.

These draconian cuts in Medicare payments to doctors, hospitals and other health-care providers that serve America's seniors were the basis for the Congressional Budget Office's official "score"—repeatedly cited by the president—that the health-reform legislation would actually reduce the federal deficit. But Mr. Obama never disclosed how that deficit reduction would actually be achieved.........
Quote:
So they deliberately turned a routine congressional "housekeeping" issue into a circus. The GOP is hoping to keep the economy in the toilet till 2012- what better way to do that than to force a default, then try to blame Obama?
Raising the debt ceiling has rarely been routine. In point of fact then senator obama voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2006.

source
Quote:
By Katrina Trinko
While President Obama’s economic advisor Austin Goolsbee argued Sunday that a refusal by the Senate to increase the government’s debt ceiling (currently $14.3 trillion) would be “catastrophic†and a sign of “insanity,†that’s not the position the president has held in the past.

Here are Obama’s thoughts on the debt limit in 2006, when he voted against increasing the ceiling:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the markets are starting to react to the GOP "Operation Chaos"
I could hold mr obama responsible for this when he reneged on his deal with speaker beohner.

Quote:
I hope the whole thing blows up right in their faces. Come 2012, we will remember.

Any American who ever votes for a Republican again after this is nuts.
The polls are all over the place on this issue. I'm not sure who the american people will eventually blame. I can say this. I believe your mr obama is woefully unprepared to be the president of the united states. I think we can depend on just about everyone remembering this mess.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
They ALL stink, this country is a financial mess..........will never pull itself out of the quagmire.

20 TRILLION BY THE END OF 2016........AMERITARDS................HECK YEAH!!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Keep in mind the GOP only have 1/2 the Congress. Boehner wanted to come up with a plan that may get thru the Senate and signed by this President. It does rein in the spending without raising taxes, and only allows an increase thru the end of this year, that's not what Obama wanted. We also can't focus on entitlement reform until we get a new President.
Obama hasn't had a budget since 2008.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Keep in mind the GOP only have 1/2 the Congress. Boehner wanted to come up with a plan that may get thru the Senate and signed by this President. It does rein in the spending without raising taxes, and only allows an increase thru the end of this year, that's not what Obama wanted. We also can't focus on entitlement reform until we get a new President.
Obama hasn't had a budget since 2008.
Something I've never witnessed in my lifetime. It's really quite increadible.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

So you support the Tea Party wing of the Republican party? Interesting to note. This is a drastic reversal for you.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Boehner's newest plan, still adds 7.4 trillion to the debt in 10 years!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM

84 posts, read 54,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In point of fact every president I've ever seen since jfk has advanced a budget plan. If I'm not mistaken....all american presidents have.

The republicans are certainly trying to rein in federal spending. Unless they can affect change we won't have ss. As for medicare mr obama's healthcare plan has already gutted that program.

source

Raising the debt ceiling has rarely been routine. In point of fact then senator obama voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2006.

source

I could hold mr obama responsible for this when he reneged on his deal with speaker beohner.

The polls are all over the place on this issue. I'm not sure who the american people will eventually blame. I can say this. I believe your mr obama is woefully unprepared to be the president of the united states. I think we can depend on just about everyone remembering this mess.

Actually you would be wrong. The debt ceiling crisis in 2003 had nothing to do with the president at all. The deputy treasury secretary dealt with Congress, and Congress decided it all on its own, without any help from the White House. And again in 2004, the Congress settled the debt ceiling issue without any interference from the White House. In the 2005-06 crisis, the Senate resolved the debt crisis by passing H.R. 47 on March 16, 2006..the White House again had no stake in it, Bush just signed the bill on March 20th. In 2007 the debt crisis was brought up again....by Congress in its conference report (H.Rept. 110-153) and again the Senate obliged the House and raised the ceiling.

Again you are wrong about the history of the debt ceiling. For the exception of the crisis in 2002, all of the other raises of the debt ceiling have been pretty routine, so routine that in 2005,2006,2007 Bush signed the bills into law to increase the debt ceiling without comment. Most of the issues with the debt ceiling raise has been getting the Senate to actually agree to the same exact wording as the House Resolution. Even during the Reagan and Clinton years raising the debt ceiling never was a crisis. It was something that was just normally done without debate.

Source: Order Code RL31967 Report for Congress 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies