Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Military favors McCain, poll finds - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

While troops deployed abroad might be giving more money to Barack Obama, a poll released today says that John McCain will get the vast majority of votes from members of the military and veterans.

Thanks for playing.
Political Punch: Military Donors Back Ron Paul & Obama
Military Donors Back Ron Paul & Obama

Quote:
In the 4th quarter of 2007, individuals in the Army, Navy and Air Force made those branches of the armed services the No. 13, No. 18 and No. 21, contributing industries, respectively. War opponent Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, received the most from donors in the military, collecting at least $212,000 from them. Another war opponent, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, was second with about $94,000.
So you are suggesting that while military personnel give money to other candidates, they will secretly vote for another... Oh brother, that is rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Political Punch: Military Donors Back Ron Paul & Obama
Military Donors Back Ron Paul & Obama

So you are suggesting that while military personnel give money to other candidates, they will secretly vote for another... Oh brother, that is rich.
Well...yes.

First of all, Ron Paul didn't make it to the actual election...so anyone who gave money to him had to choose between Obama, McCain, or not voting.

Second, Obama supporters were especially energized, meaning that that if ANYONE was going to contribute to their chosen candidate, it was going to be Obama supporters.

Third, look at the numbers...we're talking less than 300 contributions, out of how many service members? Hardly representative.

Obama outraised McCain by probably 2-3 times...but he didn't hardly get 2-3 times the votes, did he?

The polling data had McCain up by something like 20 points on Obama among military members...

Seriously, how delusional do you have to be?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Well...yes.

First of all, Ron Paul didn't make it to the actual election...so anyone who gave money to him had to choose between Obama, McCain, or not voting.

Second, Obama supporters were especially energized, meaning that that if ANYONE was going to contribute to their chosen candidate, it was going to be Obama supporters.

Third, look at the numbers...we're talking less than 300 contributions, out of how many service members? Hardly representative.

Obama outraised McCain by probably 2-3 times...but he didn't hardly get 2-3 times the votes, did he?

The polling data had McCain up by something like 20 points on Obama among military members...

Seriously, how delusional do you have to be?
Apparently as delusional as some who can't see that active duty military personnel gave the most support for an anti-war candidate. The fact that this anti-war candidate didn't make it to the general election isn't the point as if he had then it would have been likely that his support from these people would have continued.

3+ tour-rotations of 9-15 months in that crapola hole known as Iraq is too much to ask of our military personnel, this is my opinion and apparently many in the military agree with it.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Apparently as delusional as some who can't see that active duty military personnel gave the most support for an anti-war candidate. The fact that this anti-war candidate didn't make it to the general election isn't the point as if he had then it would have been likely that his support from these people would have continued.
*sigh*

Less than 300 contributions were made for paltry amounts. Ron Paul and Obama supporters are known for their enthusiasm...in the case of Obama, an enthusiasm shared by many...in the case of Paul, shared by not many. As I said, if ANYONE was going to give money, it was going to be supporters of those two.

Now, look at what else I said...Obama raised 2-3 times as much money (not sure what the total amount was, but it was a lot) as McCain...did that translate into 2-3 times more votes? No...so amount of money raised is not necessarily predictive of votes, which is the ultimate indicater of support.

What is a relatively good predictor of votes? Why, I'm glad you asked...polling data, of course...like the polling data that showed McCain up by 20 points over Obama.

Why are we even still discussing this? It's over, you are wrong. Live with it.

Quote:
3+ tour-rotations of 9-15 months in that crapola hole known as Iraq is too much to ask of our military personnel, this is my opinion and apparently many in the military agree with it.
Yet the military is still hitting retention goals and people are reupping in war zones all the time. Recruiting numbers are a little soft, but hardly catastrophic.

Yes, it's a lot to ask of our servicemembers, but they're hardly leaving the military in droves in protest.

We're actually getting inquiries all the time at my unit from people that WANT to deploy, some of them for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Damn, drop it. Know when to just walk away when you're flat out wrong.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Physician, heal thyself...

Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Physician, heal thyself...
Once again, a nonsensical post from the Great Saganista, lol.

Thanks, keep 'em coming.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
*sigh*

Less than 300 contributions were made for paltry amounts. Ron Paul and Obama supporters are known for their enthusiasm...in the case of Obama, an enthusiasm shared by many...in the case of Paul, shared by not many. As I said, if ANYONE was going to give money, it was going to be supporters of those two.

Now, look at what else I said...Obama raised 2-3 times as much money (not sure what the total amount was, but it was a lot) as McCain...did that translate into 2-3 times more votes? No...so amount of money raised is not necessarily predictive of votes, which is the ultimate indicater of support.

What is a relatively good predictor of votes? Why, I'm glad you asked...polling data, of course...like the polling data that showed McCain up by 20 points over Obama.

Yet the military is still hitting retention goals and people are reupping in war zones all the time. Recruiting numbers are a little soft, but hardly catastrophic.

Yes, it's a lot to ask of our servicemembers, but they're hardly leaving the military in droves in protest.

We're actually getting inquiries all the time at my unit from people that WANT to deploy, some of them for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Damn, drop it. Know when to just walk away when you're flat out wrong.
Apparently McCain was even more paltry because when the military had a choice between the three, McCain came in last.

Obama, Paul net most military workers' donations - USATODAY.com

Quote:
The center tallied money from donors who list the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and National Guard as an employer. Overall, these donations are miniscule: Obama got 44 contributions worth about $27,000 and Paul 23 for about $19,300. Republican John McCain, an Iraq war supporter and Vietnam prisoner of war, was third with about $18,500 from 32 donors.
Or you can use the year end contribution data provided by the Federal Election Commission. total year end 07
SELECTED PRESIDENTIAL REPORTS FOR THE 2007 YEAR-END
Ron Paul

Air Force - 4,413.50
Army - 2,014.26
Marines - 1,637.26
Navy - 4,293.50

McCain

Air Force - 2, 125.50
Army - 1,236.00
Marines - 201.00
Navy - 2273.00

What is even funnier is looking at military contributions pre-general election for all of 2008 and if totaled, still didn't get as many donations as Ron Paul

REPORT FOR JOHN MCCAIN 2008 INC.

Military is hitting retention goals, then again it has lowered the standards at least twice to reach its recruitment goals. Criminal record, no problemo, Health concerns... you have a heartbeat do you, so don't sweat it. At this rate, the military will be recruiting within the prison system as well as among the illegal immigrant population.

Military Recruiting 2007: Army Misses Benchmarks by Greater Margin
Military Recruiting 2007: Army Misses Benchmarks by Greater Margin | National Priorities Project (http://www.nationalpriorities.org/militaryrecruiting2007 - broken link)
Quote:
In spite of efforts by the Pentagon to aggressively recruit youth into the Army, the Army missed its benchmarks once again in 2007. NPP releases its analysis of 2007 recruiting and provides access to data by state, county and ZIP Code.
So why on earth is the military struggling to keep its retention and recruitment rates? If John McCain was the clear choice of the military, even though he lost, then one might suspect that with so many people supporting this guy that the military would have no problems keeping people.

Quote:
Because you brought it up in one of your drive bye posts.

Quote:
Show me a poll or anything that says the military doesn't like Bush or the Republicans.

Please.
So I provided you with some numbers from our own Federal Election Commission that showed where active duty military personnel supported an anti-war Republican over John 100 year war McCain.

You might not like it, you are free to jump up and down, froth at the mouth or get on a bus and join the military, curse me, whatever you like, but I happen to think that while military personnel follow the orders they are given, most recognize that Bush's war was a pile of bovine excrement that no one imagined they could stack that high.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Apparently McCain was even more paltry because when the military had a choice between the three, McCain came in last.

Obama, Paul net most military workers' donations - USATODAY.com

Or you can use the year end contribution data provided by the Federal Election Commission. total year end 07
SELECTED PRESIDENTIAL REPORTS FOR THE 2007 YEAR-END
Ron Paul

Air Force - 4,413.50
Army - 2,014.26
Marines - 1,637.26
Navy - 4,293.50

McCain

Air Force - 2, 125.50
Army - 1,236.00
Marines - 201.00
Navy - 2273.00

What is even funnier is looking at military contributions pre-general election for all of 2008 and if totaled, still didn't get as many donations as Ron Paul

REPORT FOR JOHN MCCAIN 2008 INC.

Military is hitting retention goals, then again it has lowered the standards at least twice to reach its recruitment goals. Criminal record, no problemo, Health concerns... you have a heartbeat do you, so don't sweat it. At this rate, the military will be recruiting within the prison system as well as among the illegal immigrant population.

Military Recruiting 2007: Army Misses Benchmarks by Greater Margin
Military Recruiting 2007: Army Misses Benchmarks by Greater Margin | National Priorities Project (http://www.nationalpriorities.org/militaryrecruiting2007 - broken link)

So why on earth is the military struggling to keep its retention and recruitment rates? If John McCain was the clear choice of the military, even though he lost, then one might suspect that with so many people supporting this guy that the military would have no problems keeping people.

Because you brought it up in one of your drive bye posts.

So I provided you with some numbers from our own Federal Election Commission that showed where active duty military personnel supported an anti-war Republican over John 100 year war McCain.

You might not like it, you are free to jump up and down, froth at the mouth or get on a bus and join the military, curse me, whatever you like, but I happen to think that while military personnel follow the orders they are given, most recognize that Bush's war was a pile of bovine excrement that no one imagined they could stack that high.
Who did the military vote for?

Just answer that question and shut up and go away.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Who did the military vote for?

Just answer that question and shut up and go away.
Awwww it will be ok, no need to get your blood pressure up. I hear basic training does wonders for this kind of tension.

While I have no doubts that between McCain and Obama the vote went in favor of McCain, then again it still doesn't not discount the FACT that military personnel preferred an anti-war candidate over McCain.

Also it should be noted as it is even admitted by Army Times and Military Times.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Army's junior enlisted ranks are dramatically underrepresented in the Military Times surveys. About 47% of the Army serves in the ranks of E-1 through E-4. These ranks comprise only 6% of the active Army population included in the 2008 Military Times survey. (The samples of each of the previous Military Times surveys are nearly identical in the degree to which they represent the active military population). Bottom Line: these surveys should in no way be used to assess aggregate attitudes across the force.
Since I'm a subscriber to the American Conservative Magazine, I remembered this bit from a previous issue.

The Shifting Military Vote
The American Conservative » The Shifting Military Vote

Quote:
Perhaps Dec. 8, 2004 was the day – the point where the “military vote” started peeling off from the Republican Party, for which it had been steadfastly true in majority numbers for at least 25 years.
Now I wonder why military personnel are peeling off from their support of Republicans?

Now I don't take this stuff personal so telling me to shut up doesn't bother me but I can see you are an easily agitated person, so again, I suggest a career in the military as it is the best way to refute the OP in this thread.(create your own self fulfilling prophecy) Clearly there is evidence that military personnel are not at all enthusiastic about the actions and directions taken by the Bush administration, which was the original point in the joke. You are free to jump up and down, froth at the mouth further, or call me names, but the fact remains, the Republicans (unlike in the past) have gave the shaft to our military personnel and did a great disservice to our military in general.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
good riddance w!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies