Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,660,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
[

Anyone involved in vh1's Flavor of Love.. If you have seen that show, you know what I'm talking about.
OhMan. Do I ever. My girlfriend, for some reason, loved it, and I had to sit through it a number of times.

She also likes that TRUMP show. Are you, or anyone reading this, in business? I have been, and I'm going to be again soon. And, I try to tell her, that what you see on that show is not what a good manager does! That kind of backstabbing, nastiness, and habitual fingerpointing and blame casting are the hallmarks of a really badly run company. It just breaks my heart that people buy into this crap, and think that's the way business is.

That folks do is one of the reasons our country is in the shape it is. If I were a stockholder in that guys company, I'd vote to "fire" HIM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 PM

345 posts, read 202,675 times
Carolina Jack. I never met a black man that kills or steals, though I know some do. But, I'll be damned if I ever met a black man that couldn't do one of those other things you mentioned. If I did, they were evidently so lackluster they didn't stand out. I am 54 years old, had many black friends in High School, growing up in Ky. and was on the front line of welcoming black people into our newly integrated school. Some white folks did not. With time passages there is only one thing that I really resent about black people. I feel uncomfortable even saying black people but there is nonetheless a distinction we cannot avoid. Can you tell me why seemedly the majority of the black people are adamant about referring to themselves as African-American? That is a concept I just cannot get. I would be willing for anyone to tell me why I am ignorant on this issue. I am a mongrel euro-american at best. I feel no compulsion to segregate myself from the rest of America by referring to myself as any dimension of that mongrel american set. I do not consider myself Irish-american,English-american,Swedish-american, (some of the likely lineage), simply American. I married a woman that is third generation Canadian of Japanese descent. She does not like at all references to being Japanese. She considers herself Canadian. From your viewpoint, why is it important, for media blacks at least, to be hyphenated? In my mind , as a person of white descent, with no conscious animosity toward the black race or any othe race, I am somewhat offended, and I don't get why there is an implied effort at segregation with use of the term African-American. From your perspective?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,890,419 times
having gone to HBCU, I can tell you that behavior of the characters there was not at all like what it is there, it is like any other college and university campus

Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM

kaintuck, as the thread is trying to prove about the stereotype, I cant answer for the majority of blacks why they call themselves African american. I think it is because in the US, I am not sure if you are a from here or canada, but here the Irish call themselves Irish Americans, the Italians say Italian American, the Germans say german american, Natives say Native Americans, Mexican American, jewish american, chinese american, so i gues the blacks want to fit in and call themselves African American, I think they are conforming to the norm.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 AM

409 posts, read 1,235,296 times
I believe the term 'African-American' was invented by Jesse Jackson.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 AM

probably was, i wonder who invented the other hyphenated terms for the other ethnic groups.

Dr. Bozzell, professor at University of Pennsylvania coined the term WASP--as descriptive term for White Anglo Saxon Protestant---I dont see anyone complaining about that one either, Just the African Americans.

I have to ask Kaintuck, why? why is it ok for all the other groups to do that but not the blacks?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,249,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
probably was, i wonder who invented the other hyphenated terms for the other ethnic groups.

Dr. Bozzell, professor at University of Pennsylvania coined the term WASP--as descriptive term for White Anglo Saxon Protestant---I dont see anyone complaining about that one either, Just the African Americans.

I have to ask Kaintuck, why? why is it ok for all the other groups to do that but not the blacks?
CarolinaJack I think he was just refering to the fact that as a whole, whites do not call themselves European Americans and why do blacks want to have a designation of African Americans? Why not just Americans? Why do we have to distinguish one from the other. I don't see hispanics calling themselves Hispanic-Americans etc.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,660,959 times
Default I'm a member of an official tribe!

We call ourselves the Hon-Keys. We meet for traditional ceremonies; have a time honored rite we call "bingo"; eat traditional foods, like Hostess Twinkies.
You can find us hangin' out at the trailer park.

He, he..

Old 03-14-2007, 09:35 AM

603 posts, read 1,991,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Carolina Jack. I never met a black man that kills or steals, though I know some do. But, I'll be damned if I ever met a black man that couldn't do one of those other things you mentioned. If I did, they were evidently so lackluster they didn't stand out. I am 54 years old, had many black friends in High School, growing up in Ky. and was on the front line of welcoming black people into our newly integrated school. Some white folks did not. With time passages there is only one thing that I really resent about black people. I feel uncomfortable even saying black people but there is nonetheless a distinction we cannot avoid. Can you tell me why seemedly the majority of the black people are adamant about referring to themselves as African-American? That is a concept I just cannot get. I would be willing for anyone to tell me why I am ignorant on this issue. I am a mongrel euro-american at best. I feel no compulsion to segregate myself from the rest of America by referring to myself as any dimension of that mongrel american set. I do not consider myself Irish-american,English-american,Swedish-american, (some of the likely lineage), simply American. I married a woman that is third generation Canadian of Japanese descent. She does not like at all references to being Japanese. She considers herself Canadian. From your viewpoint, why is it important, for media blacks at least, to be hyphenated? In my mind , as a person of white descent, with no conscious animosity toward the black race or any othe race, I am somewhat offended, and I don't get why there is an implied effort at segregation with use of the term African-American. From your perspective?
IMO the real crux of the matter is that here in America, and other Western countries for that matter, people that are not white are taught to think racially from the start (celebrating diversity= anything but being white). Whites are told exclusively that racial thinking is evil and racist. This is why so many of us cannot relate when people discuss things in racial terms because we do not think of ourselves as a homogenous group of 'white people', whereas you have many groups created for that very purpose for nearly all other races of people (La Raza, NAACP, etc). Non-whites are taught to embrace their ethnicity and often times led to believe that all white people are racist and hate them (at least those of us who have been in the public schools in the age of multiculturalism in the past 30yrs). Whites have been told by their teachers and leaders that they are inherently racist, despite what they think they know about themselves, we are often told that it is a subconscious mechanism that makes us inherently racist, even without our knowledge. This entire idea seems ludacris to me.

There are a good number of people that I despise in this country, white, black, asian or hispanic, it doesn't really matter. Do I ever think of any of these people as a shame on my race? No, because that way of thinking is crazy or at least not something I'm not accustomed to. I think this is where whites are often misjudged. In our modern time, most of us don't think in racial terms. Our forefathers did very much so, but we have decided as a society that this type of thinking is not okay and our children are taught that this is racist. Should we think this way? I don't know, but why is it not okay for us to think this way and others it apparently is? Just something to consider....

Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM

603 posts, read 1,991,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
CarolinaJack I think he was just refering to the fact that as a whole, whites do not call themselves European Americans and why do blacks want to have a designation of African Americans? Why not just Americans? Why do we have to distinguish one from the other. I don't see hispanics calling themselves Hispanic-Americans etc.
No, but have you heard the term latino? Same line of thinking. But, that is also an inappropriate term, because that means we should be calling italians latinos as well and then the whole thing doesn't make sense. It's all craziness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies