Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:16 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In this country, there are people that you wish were never born...or at least weren't famous. There are also steriotypes out there, for all groups of people, and some of these people are good poster boys and girls for those steriotypes. I HATE that!
I'm black, and there are ALOT of people who look like me that I'm dissapointed in and ashamed of. Like...

Dennis Rodman. He hasn't really been in the news in years, but anyone who dresses as a woman, dyes their hair several different colors, and gets more tattoos and piercings than a kiosk just to get attention is an embarassment to me.

98% of all rappers.. There not even real rappers anymore, their "Hip Hop Artests", and all they ever put in their songs is what they have, why I got this, and "Why you shootin' at me? All I do is just throw my money in your face."

Anyone involved in vh1's Flavor of Love.. If you have seen that show, you know what I'm talking about.

O.J. Simpson. Enough said.

I know there are people your ashamed to call "one of your own".
I can already name one.......Ms. Paris Hilton.
He He, Welcome to the Club...

My Race makes me want to Vomit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM

PS--So I just do my own thing and ignore the rest...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default Members of my race make me hurl, pt II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
He He, Welcome to the Club...

My Race makes me want to Vomit...
Awww.

Once, I was in San Francisco, and I picked up this paper from some outfit called the "White Aryan Resistance." Yowie.

They claim to represent "white civilization." Yeah, after staying up for 10 days on crank, and passing out back of the truck stop, they might think that.

They would have done better to put on dresses. At least that guy was kind of funny...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Great post!

Even if we were all the same color, we'd find something else to "judge". How do you cry for equality and then have "black entertainment television" "Ms. Black America", etc? If there was ever a Ms. White America or TV for White America, us blacks would have a fit and it would mean war! I'm so tired of so many blacks still feeling like the white man owes us something. We've been through a lot and come through a lot. There is and will always be discrimination. What I really believe is that WE have to start acknowledging that it exists without addressing it at every turn. If you have to work a little harder or be a little better, then that is our cross to bear, but maybe if we stop making "race" such an issue, it will finally stop being one!
Yeah. Another sad thing about our people is that, for some reason, we don't like to see each other advance. And if we do, "we tryin' to be white".
And alot of us (no matter what race) are hypocrites. We can say something...but they can't.
Pure B.S. All that just goes along with living.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Caucasus region straddling the border of Europe and Asia - i.e. the part of the world where Borat's supposed to be from.

Not sure about the term "European American" as an exclusive category - many "Hispanic Americans" are also "European Americans"

Perhaps the time for looking at these categories as separate and exclusive has passed (as evidenced by the silly debate about Obama's "blackness" or lack of same - which has produced some really funny Colbert remarks....)
Thanks for the geography lesson, majoun!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 AM

409 posts, read 1,236,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
I agree with this one. I am Black and do not consider myself to be African-American. I have never been to Africa, nor have any of my relatives for generations. I am simply an American, who happens to be black. I can understand the importance of this to someone who may have been born in another country and subsequently became an American citizen, but it is my opinion that hyphenating your heritage only works to further divide us as Americans. To each his own, but that is my feeling.

It's very sad and disheartening to me that things are still so bad between Blacks and Whites particularly. As a Black woman, I must say that I do feel that those blacks that continue to perpetuate the negative stereotypes are doing our race a great disservice in that it makes it harder for those of us who have always tried to separate ourselves from these negative images. At times I find myself saying to myself, 'no wonder people can't stand "us".'

I am so disappointed in those "leaders" who are constantly calling for change, for equal rights and considerations, for the dividing lines between the races to be erased but then turn around and pull the race card on every issue under the sun. How are we to erase dividing lines if WE keep bringing up race at every turn. You can't have it both ways. There is no doubt that there is discrimination against Blacks, but...there is also discrimination against other races, religions, creeds, sexual orientation. Even if we were all the same color, we'd find something else to "judge". How do you cry for equality and then have "black entertainment television" "Ms. Black America", etc? If there was ever a Ms. White America or TV for White America, us blacks would have a fit and it would mean war! I'm so tired of so many blacks still feeling like the white man owes us something. We've been through a lot and come through a lot. There is and will always be discrimination. What I really believe is that WE have to start acknowledging that it exists without addressing it at every turn. If you have to work a little harder or be a little better, then that is our cross to bear, but maybe if we stop making "race" such an issue, it will finally stop being one! Most of us who have been successful in life and career have had to deal with discrimination in some form and have worked hard to be where we are. It's easy to sit back doing nothing and complaining about how life hasn't given you a fair shake, but at some point you need to look in the mirror and realize that no matter who you are, where you are or what your circumstance, you are responsible for your own destiny and sitting around blaming someone else will get you exactly nowhere.

Oh, I could go on and on. Thanks for this post. These are important issues!
I agree 100%. For the record I am a white, middle-class American.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Thanks for engaging in my thoughts. I am the new guy on the block. Carolina Jack. As others have confirmed in extending this post. I have never in my entire 54 years addressed myself as English-American or Irish-American or Swedish-American. First off I don't really know what the mongrul mix is even though I have done some research. Secondly, I don't really care. What I wish people in this coutry to consider themselves to be is "Enculturated-American". Now by Almighty God, if we all did that, we would be back on the path we walked away from. This country would again begin to strongly evolve in a positive direction and multicultualism could burn in hell with the elitist left that would stand behind it to gain power and incite division between us. We have much social evolution to accomplish. The eletist left believes itself to be leading in that evolution when in fact they are chartering an evil path toward civil division and anarchy. They are keeping us tethered to our lowest common denominator.I want to see each one of us do good. That is accomplished by joining forces not by segregation. I don't blame black americans as a whole for the attitude. I do blame black leaders. Shed blood,sweat, and tears for integration and no sooner obtained integration than set about inciting segregation. There is a host of black leaders out there that have already discovered this and are leading in the opposite direction. It will be a slow process, I hope we succeed. My wife, a Canadian Japanese, that calls herself Canadian cannot speak a word of Japanese. She speaks perfect southern. I sometimes look at her like who the hell have you been talking too she can be worse than Foxworthy. Her parents would not allow them to speak Japanese in the home. That may be going a bit too far, but, they are every damn one successful and they still cook divine.
Me thinks you are in over-your-head with "Enculturated-American"...=
Barbrook, a British media theoretician, argues that Kelly's concepts derive from an enculturated American view that anarchy is a "natural order" reflected in free-market capitalism:

"In essence, 'Out of Control' argues that American-style 'free market' capitalism is not a peculiar social creation, but an ahistorical natural eco-system. The 'invisible hand' of the marketplace and the blind forces of Darwinian evolution are one and the same thing. "

Like Grassie, Barbrook sees neo-liberalism's presumed informational "anarchy" as part of a highly ordered, Dawinisitic, technocratic, free-market capitalism. Barbrook notes that Kelly's concepts about information technology are even couched in terms of the cold war:

A VERY complex and Disputed term...
What does "]"Enculturated-American"[/ Mean to You??

Old 03-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
probably was, i wonder who invented the other hyphenated terms for the other ethnic groups.

Dr. Bozzell, professor at University of Pennsylvania coined the term WASP--as descriptive term for White Anglo Saxon Protestant---I dont see anyone complaining about that one either, Just the African Americans.

I have to ask Kaintuck, why? why is it ok for all the other groups to do that but not the blacks?
Hi Jack,
Do you have any idea how many white American's are NOT WASP's??
For one: All of Us Roman Catholics...lol
Let me Officially Complain...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies