Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That can be argued to death by both sides. But the issue is not how we got here or who is to blame, but what we are going to do about it. Pointing a finger and casting blame may make one side or the other feel better about themselves, but it will not create one job. This is not the time for spending on welfare, medicare or other social programs. We need ot stimulate the economy. He wants to spend $800 billion with very little economic stimulus from that money. This is nto the time to bail out the state governments that are overspending on social programs. This is the one shot. There is not going to be another 800 billion to spend if this does not work. Right now the plan is to use the money in a foolish manner. How is the planned distribution of those funds going to get changed?
I think we need to spend a lot less of that 800 billion on social programs, and more on economic stimulus. This is an extremely difficult time right now, and proper oversight and transparency regarding the proportions of tax payer dollars going to various programs need to be monitored. The financial bailout was quite controversial as well, and we still have the mortgage, fianancial, and banking institutions having major problems.
Here in NH, I strongly support a pay freeze for state workers. We don't need to start increasing salaries by 5% when cities are dealing with falling tax revenues and budget defecits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
Only two qualifications I think: 35 years of age and a US citizen. At least one of those is being questioned by some folks, and no birth certificate has yet been produced. ;-)
Actually it HAS been produced. Even if it had not been, why would he NOT be an American citizen? His Mother is and was at the time of his birth automatically granting him citizenship regardless of birth location. Same as John McCain who was born in Panama to American parents.

Like I said before, I am not a Obama fan, didn't vote for him and think personally he is the wrong person for the job (Even though McCain would also be questionable.) But the continuation of these rumors is mind boggling. Proof has been produced.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Is it possible that History will look back and find that President Bush was a great president, because without his presidency, President Obama would never have been elected?

Let's give thanks where thanks is due.
This post makes no sense at all. We will thank Obama that he came through to improve greatly on what existed in the past, and is willing to take on the total catastrophic mess that is Bush's legacy.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I did not vote for him either. Now, time will tell......untill then I will suck up that new HUD money. LOL LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 PM

20 posts, read 72,631 times
Living in Canada with an American and having heard many horror stories about american health care system I seriously think it's time that the good ole usa got a better health care system going. Perhaps since the new president is breaking history he can start with installing a new system where you all would get equal health care no matter your social status or income. I really think this would be a better way of spending your hard earned money/taxes than bailing out auto companies where the executive staff get bonuses that a normal person can live their whole life on.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdar1 View Post
Living in Canada with an American and having heard many horror stories about american health care system I seriously think it's time that the good ole usa got a better health care system going. Perhaps since the new president is breaking history he can start with installing a new system where you all would get equal health care no matter your social status or income. I really think this would be a better way of spending your hard earned money/taxes than bailing out auto companies where the executive staff get bonuses that a normal person can live their whole life on.
"A NORMAL person"???? When did being successful make a person not NORMAL"????

Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM

541 posts, read 984,869 times
i guess we will see what it will bring,obama seems to be taking a centrist stance on issues,and that is what is needed.if he can get a grass roots effort going to make change,he has,right now,something more powerful than a few senate votes backing him,the people.I wish our new president well,and seeing not only a black man winning it,put a guy who has brought in a generational change.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdar1 View Post
First order of business should be the economy, not health care. Stories of how horrible our system tend to be stretched a bit.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Which leads to my fear. Hyperinflation.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Taxes will increase under this plan for the middle class and no one will be able to afford to spend anything.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
"Is it possible that History will look back and find that President Bush was a great president, because without his presidency, President Obama would never have been elected?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
This post makes no sense at all. We will thank Obama that he came through to improve greatly on what existed in the past, and is willing to take on the total catastrophic mess that is Bush's legacy.
Let's give thanks where thanks is due. C'mon everybody, mail your shoe!

Better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies