Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Regardless of contrary opinions, the United States is not a secular nation.

During the opening prayers at the Inauguration, I was impressed by the number of people attending the event who were praying along with the Rev Warren and the Lord's prayer.

And, with the President and Vice President attending a Prayer Service Wednesday, specifically arranged for the President and Vice President, to pray for them and our nation, it only shows the value of religion in our society.

Was I, personally, uncomfortable with the Religious portions of the Inaugural?

No, I was not. Not in the least.
The point is that religious services & personal belief should be private. I don't blame President Obama for participating in these Christian rites because it is historic that Inaugurals include these services. My concern is that it is considered mandatory & that Jewish folks\ Atheists\ Muslims, etc have to also participate in something that should not be mandatory or even a part of presidential ceremonies.

I am a Catholic & wonder how many Protestants would be upset if at the Inaugurals a priest prayed the "Hail Mary" & blessed the president with holy water & incense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The point is that religious services & personal belief should be private.
See, I don't see ANY reason - NONE - why any religious service - or, any personal religious belief, should be private - or kept private. We have the FREEDOM in this country to express our beliefs - secular or religious, anywhere, anytime.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

88 posts, read 179,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
See, I don't see ANY reason - NONE - why any religious service - or, any personal religious belief, should be private - or kept private. We have the FREEDOM in this country to express our beliefs - secular or religious, anywhere, anytime.
Amen!
people try to pick and choose their freedoms these days.... seems to me "anything goes" except when you talk about God!

It's a free country people... the same freedom that gives us the right to believe in God and worship in public places is the same freedom that gives you the right to alternative lifestyles, animal rights, and everything else in this crazy world.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Smoke, fire. M. Sag is piqued. Dear, dear, dear.
No more piqued than the Meter Maid slapping a ticket on the windshield of another miscreant. The law constrains the state from ventures into religious endorsement. Lawbreaking is troublesome. If you have to twist the language in order to reply, it isn't much of a reply that you are making.

Quote:
But I'm in a higher league than a person who would proclude any informed speculation or opinions other than his own on a public forum.
You didn't indicate how your speculation/opinion concerning the degree of inspiration experienced by Mr. Obama could in fact be described as "informed". I would suggest that my dog is as infomed as you are of the inner thoughts of the 44th President, and that you therefore had no business making any claim over them at all.

Quote:
By definition, there is little to learn about nihilism.
So, apparently, say those who've learned little about it.

Quote:
Michael Newdow is a publicity hound.
Michael Newdow is an affable, mild-mannered emergency room physician and now lawyer who tired of seeing his rights violated and decided that he would do something about it.

Quote:
And where the "law" is concerned. you might want to reflect a little on the tragic results of connecting Madison v Marbury and Roe v Wade....
That would be Marbury v Madison...the plaintiff/appellant/petitioner is named first. The only connection between it and Roe is the notion that enactments of a legislature not proceeding from any power that they legitimately hold are not law, and that there is no power granted that violates the enumerated or unenumerated rights of the people. If you can't live with that sort of notion, then you wish to abide in a very different land from this one.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yesterday both Presidents Obama & Bush attended together a Christian prayer service in a church. After that at the inaugural Christian pastors prayed at the start & end of the swearing in of Obama. Today all of Obama's administration attended another Christian prayer service where they prayed to Christ.

Does it make you a little uncomfortable that our secular government is so close to the Christian faith?

I am very uncomfortable about it. It is like telling me that anyone who doesn't believe in god doesn"t have a snowballs chance in h***, so to speak. The office should be open to all, no matter what religious beliefs or lack of. Christians are not the only good people on this earth.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It may surprise you to know that our founders were "Bible pounders", as you put it.
A few were. Most were not. Whether they were or not, they left us a secular government and a godless constitution and we need to be vigilant in maintaining a wall of separation between church and state.

I admire the founding fathers more than any other Americans. But I'd still be for separation of church and state even if they'd called for the union of church and state.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Palin is a blip on the radar screen of history. Al Franken is a US Senator.

Study the difference.
Did you forget what you smugly implied - there will be more goat sacrifices as we get bluer. I was more worried about the witchcraft as we get redder. What has Franken got to do with it???? Besides, Palin is not yet a blip.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
The prayer service at the National Cathedral was not a public event.....I had no problem with it. I did have a problem with the minister leading the people in the "Lord's Prayer" as that was a public event and the Lord's Prayer is a totally Christian prayer...that was unnecessary and inappropriate in my opinion. It also was illustrative of the insensitivity or Rev. Warren to the multi cultural nature of the United States and his disrespect for a vast number of Americans. He continues to be divisive.
IMHO the best prayer was the one that HBO censored that was given by Bishop Robinson...at the opening concert.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A vacuum cannot contain anything since it is not a container.
All of space-time is a container, and fractally so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The path I've chosen leads to life in Christ Jesus. That's why I'm traveling the path I do.
Travel on. But if your progress depends upon such beliefs as that atheism is a religious belief system, you may find yourself broken down but a few yards down the road...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I think you would do well to get over it.

Obama embraces religion in his family and also knows that to bring this country together from the divide that the wackos on the far left have created that he can't abandon the moderate right (which is most of the right).

These religious "rites" have been a part of the inaugeral for a long time and if it offends a very small group of radicals in America, oh well
Its attitude that people like you show that enrages other people. No need to laugh at someone if they do not like the concept of religious rites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies