Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a piece that details the decades long GOP animosity towards science, going back to Nixon. Gingrich is up to his eyeballs in this mess. Long story but worth reading: "Science Friction" by Nicholas Thompson

Gee, I'm surprised that between his own philandering and witch hunting for other philanderers that ol' Newtie boy found the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Than God in one of his forst official acts President Obama is going to end the bans on stem cell and other scientific research. It is about time to out SCIENTIST in charge of SCIENCE and not religious nutcases.

Its not just that, its Creationism, the antiglobal warming nonsense, his war on family planning, the whole anti-science platform! Here's what Obamam actually said

"We will restore science to its rightful place" Science has only one rightful place: to provide guidance and resources to the Nation, not to be clay manipulated by greedy businessmen and the politicians who serve at their beck and call.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
From many reports, speaking the truth in government reports.
True. The work of top medical researchers was forced to pass political review at the White House before release to the public. Some of it was altered to reflect the Dobson/wingnut point of view. The guy that Bush/Rove used to edit honest science was a wet-behind-the-ears dork who served only to cast wingnut spin onto what was real science, frustrating the work of long-respected researchers who saw their work raped by the kid Rove picked to hack up valid work. The Bush wingnuts zero'd in on the work of the Surgeon General and the EPA, among others.

Here are some links:
- Online NewsHour: Newsmaker Interview | Former Surgeon General Testifies | July 10, 2007 | PBS
- Redacted Testimony of CDC Director Julie L. Gerberding

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
You liberals actually don't mind science growing sheep with two heads, cloning animals, and messing around with God's creatures? You know it is only a matter of time till you have a two headed clone! Think about it.
That image is so........AWESOME! I demand we triple the funding for cloning research now! Think about the money we can make from the mutant animals!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Funny, I thought Obama was a lawyer. Although I do admit that it would be nice to have a scientist, or even better, an engineer, in charge of Government.
There was a time when I felt that way, too, but the two engineers who have been presidents changed my mind: Carter and Hoover. Scientists and engineers tend to be too rational for government, and I mean that nicely on both sides. Scientists often can't compromise; everything has to be black and white. I should know, I'm married to a PhD and my father was an engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Stem cell research is a good thing. It's when you kill babies to get them that we have the issue.

Fact of the matter is, embryonic stem cell research has yet to show ANY benefit whatsoever.
That is why we do research.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And two-headed creatures and other anomalies exist in nature because?

God was on coffee break?
Doesn't have a damn thing to do with life on this planet or any other for the simple reason the great 'deity' in the sky simply doesn't exist.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Stem cell research was never baned, it was the public funding through tax dollars that was.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername2008 View Post
stem cell research, I admit I am torn on the issue. But it does have so many valid points. I have a sister with MS, she has kept it under control for 10 years with intafuron beta 1A but I would love too see her regain her former youth. when I was younger I was an animal rights advocate, but as I got older I also realized that without the death of some animals I would have lost my sister....
I am with you on this one, although Stem cell research is not that promising right now for MS, but may very well be in the future. Using ones own stem cells to destroy and replace the immune system is the most logical choice instead of using foreign stem cells from another human. (BTW, I have MS) The first thing that should be done is to stop the disease, second find a way to coax the body into repairing the meiylin sheath, where the disability comes from. The first may be done by replacing the immune system, the second one though might be a very tough cure, after your nerves are damaged, they are basically gone. There have been studies that found that some drug combinations help to repair the meylin, but if the damage gets down to the axons in the nerves its pretty darn permanent unfortunately.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Cool Welcome Back SCIENTIST!!! Welcome Back!!

Yes, it will be good to see biology given back to the scientists instead of the priesthood.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Yes, it will be good to see biology given back to the scientists instead of the priesthood.
Great concise statement, agree fully. Didn't take long to do so.

Just today, there is approval for an embryonic stem cell test, using human patients, aiming to help people with spinal cord injuries. Tests done in lab rats were promising, now we FINALLY get to move on. Too late for Christopher Reeves though....

washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies