Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times

Advertisements

Maybe if this woman pledges to keep her cool on airplanes that are 35,000 feet in the air, Obama will pardon her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Maybe if this woman pledges to keep her cool on airplanes that are 35,000 feet in the air, Obama will pardon her.
And will her children be returned to her?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
She wasn't arrested for spanking her kids. She was arrested for causing a disturbance on an airplane when she uttered profanity at flight attendants and threw her tomato juice can on the floor. Rightfully so.
Proof, that terrorists have succeeded. We've adapted to live in terror, from them, and now the government.

I don't know about you, but having traveled a lot, nationally and internationally, I have seen my share of similar confrontations, and NONE would come close to being considered "terrorism". Until now. But then, even peaceful protests, against the government, could be construed as terrorism. Constitution be damned.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
That's what 8 years of fear mongering by a President that used "the sky is falling irrational fear" to justify his actions. Sadly too many people and law enforcement took the bait hook line, and sinker.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Proof, that terrorists have succeeded. We've adapted to live in terror, from them, and now the government.

I don't know about you, but having traveled a lot, nationally and internationally, I have seen my share of similar confrontations, and NONE would come close to being considered "terrorism". Until now. But then, even peaceful protests, against the government, could be construed as terrorism. Constitution be damned.
The terrorists have succeeded, which is why we're practically strip-searched before entering airport gate areas. It's an inescapable fact that security measures always curtail freedom.

I've traveled a lot as well, and the only time I've seen a passenger get unruly on an airline, he was arrested when the plane got to our destination. Certainly he was not a terrorist. He was simply a jerk. Otherwise, in my experience, people tend to be on their best behavior in airports.

Flight personnel are not baby sitters, shrinks, or anything else. They're there to make sure you get to your destination in good shape. Disruptions shouldn't be tolerated, as they're likely to start involving other people on the aircraft, and they distract the flight staff from their work. For example, what better way for a terrorist to do his work on a flight than causing a diversion by having a woman throwing a temper tantrum on the other end of the plane?

The flight staff have absolute authority on their flight. I fully believe that if you interfere with a flight by throwing a tantrum, you deserve to be arrested. There are hundreds of people on flights that should not be subjected to abusive and disorderly people. Make sense?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
I don't disagree that they have the authority to ensure an uneventful flight for all, and the issue here is not about that. The woman should have been handled, but it was ridiculous to see the law being applied, to define her as a terrorist.

Here is more of the same, scary actually. Now peaceful activists are terrorists too? Talk about abuse of power.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't disagree that they have the authority to ensure an uneventful flight for all, and the issue here is not about that. The woman should have been handled, but it was ridiculous to see the law being applied, to define her as a terrorist.

Here is more of the same, scary actually. Now peaceful activists are terrorists too? Talk about abuse of power.
That article reads like something out of the sixties. Wow (man).

Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
The terrorists have succeeded, which is why we're practically strip-searched before entering airport gate areas. It's an inescapable fact that security measures always curtail freedom.

I've traveled a lot as well, and the only time I've seen a passenger get unruly on an airline, he was arrested when the plane got to our destination. Certainly he was not a terrorist. He was simply a jerk. Otherwise, in my experience, people tend to be on their best behavior in airports.

Flight personnel are not baby sitters, shrinks, or anything else. They're there to make sure you get to your destination in good shape. Disruptions shouldn't be tolerated, as they're likely to start involving other people on the aircraft, and they distract the flight staff from their work. For example, what better way for a terrorist to do his work on a flight than causing a diversion by having a woman throwing a temper tantrum on the other end of the plane?

The flight staff have absolute authority on their flight. I fully believe that if you interfere with a flight by throwing a tantrum, you deserve to be arrested. There are hundreds of people on flights that should not be subjected to abusive and disorderly people. Make sense?
I havent flown since before 9/11 so I dont know how times have changed, but I wonder, do flight attendants give a warning at the top of the flight nowdays? Explaining in some gentle way these new powers?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
I've traveled a lot as well, and the only time I've seen a passenger get unruly on an airline, he was arrested when the plane got to our destination. Certainly he was not a terrorist. He was simply a jerk.
That's exactly the point.

Quote:
The flight staff have absolute authority on their flight. I fully believe that if you interfere with a flight by throwing a tantrum, you deserve to be arrested. There are hundreds of people on flights that should not be subjected to abusive and disorderly people.
Should they be subjected to abusive and disorderly children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies