Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM

94 posts, read 332,874 times

Advertisements

I'll glad to see this post has been commented on quite a bit. What irks me is that in not one "major" news source is this touched on at all. Why does Obama seem to get a free pass on everything? Sure it doesn't come directly from Obama's mouth but look at the people he constantly surrounds himself with. Is this who we want leading our country. Well evidently because he was elected. It took mouth pieces, namely Michael Savage, on the radio to finally get the national media talking about Reverend Wright. Ties to Bill Ayers get continually denounced. How about at the recent inauguration with Reverend Lowery.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around — (laughter) — when yellow will be mellow — (laughter) — when the red man can get ahead, man — (laughter) — and when white will embrace what is right."

When "yellow will be mellow"? A) I haven't met an Asian person that likes to be called yellow and B) It infers that Asian people are full of anger and hatred and need to calm the heck down. Couldn't be further from the truth. Had a white preacher done this same speech for McCain he would be blasted, but yet the media laughs it off when it comes to Obama.

In the eyes of the media elite, he can do no wrong. Heck, if the economy is the same or even slightly worse 4 years from now, they'll say Bush screwed things up so bad how could he have turned it around therefore we must give him 4 more years. The media bias is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMKM-Miller View Post
I'll glad to see this post has been commented on quite a bit. What irks me is that in not one "major" news source is this touched on at all. Why does Obama seem to get a free pass on everything? Sure it doesn't come directly from Obama's mouth but look at the people he constantly surrounds himself with. Is this who we want leading our country. Well evidently because he was elected. It took mouth pieces, namely Michael Savage, on the radio to finally get the national media talking about Reverend Wright. Ties to Bill Ayers get continually denounced. How about at the recent inauguration with Reverend Lowery.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around — (laughter) — when yellow will be mellow — (laughter) — when the red man can get ahead, man — (laughter) — and when white will embrace what is right."

When "yellow will be mellow"? A) I haven't met an Asian person that likes to be called yellow and B) It infers that Asian people are full of anger and hatred and need to calm the heck down. Couldn't be further from the truth. Had a white preacher done this same speech for McCain he would be blasted, but yet the media laughs it off when it comes to Obama.

In the eyes of the media elite, he can do no wrong. Heck, if the economy is the same or even slightly worse 4 years from now, they'll say Bush screwed things up so bad how could he have turned it around therefore we must give him 4 more years. The media bias is unbelievable.
I thought the topic of your thread was Robert Reich's suggestion in a D-House hearing two weeks ago. Silly me.

If you're interested, here's R Reich's blog entry on the topic: Robert Reich's Blog: The Stimulus: How to Create Jobs Without Them All Going to Skilled Professionals and White Male Construction Workers (http://robertreich.blogspot.com/2009/01/stimulus-how-to-create-jobs-without.html - broken link)

The top comment points out, "you might get some of those quotas right away without trying. chances are good that the usual white-male might already be gainfully employed and not have reason to switch to these stimulus jobs."

If the purpose of the thread was to rail about racist Obama and his terrorist ties and the liberal media elite, sorry, I misunderstood.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM

216 posts, read 290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I thought the topic of your thread was Robert Reich's suggestion in a D-House hearing two weeks ago. Silly me.

If you're interested, here's R Reich's blog entry on the topic: Robert Reich's Blog: The Stimulus: How to Create Jobs Without Them All Going to Skilled Professionals and White Male Construction Workers (http://robertreich.blogspot.com/2009/01/stimulus-how-to-create-jobs-without.html - broken link)

The top comment points out, "you might get some of those quotas right away without trying. chances are good that the usual white-male might already be gainfully employed and not have reason to switch to these stimulus jobs."

If the purpose of the thread was to rail about racist Obama and his terrorist ties and the liberal media elite, sorry, I misunderstood.
I was wondering the same thing because the comment is so out of place.

You made a great point. I remember in October of last year, the media reported that minority would be the first to lose their jobs which made no sense to me.

Last edited by KatinNJ; 01-23-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 AM

94 posts, read 332,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I think the two are intertwined. The media doesn't cover inherently racist news stories like these when it involves President Obama. Further, there is no place for quotas to be called for. Simply put, the most qualified person should get the job. Whether they be black, white, asian, hispanic, who cares. If only hispanic people happen to be qualified in a given area for the job, hire them, same with white, black, etc. As a previous poster mentioned, policies like these led to the demise of the housing industry. People who shouldn't have bought homes were given loans - now look at the mess. If you have under skilled laborers on public works projects will be be having bridges collapse and thousands of people killed ?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMKM-Miller View Post
I think the two are intertwined. The media doesn't cover inherently racist news stories like these when it involves President Obama. Further, there is no place for quotas to be called for. Simply put, the most qualified person should get the job. Whether they be black, white, asian, hispanic, who cares. If only hispanic people happen to be qualified in a given area for the job, hire them, same with white, black, etc. As a previous poster mentioned, policies like these led to the demise of the housing industry. People who shouldn't have bought homes were given loans - now look at the mess. If you have under skilled laborers on public works projects will be be having bridges collapse and thousands of people killed ?
The housing industry - look up the facts, is all I can say. It sounds as if you fear unskilled laborers off the street will be handed supervisor jobs, or won't be trained, or the gravity of public works projects will be treated cavalierly. The purpose of this stimulus program is to put to work people who arent working/have lost their jobs. People who are already employed arent going to lose their jobs as a result of the job-creation stimulus, unless it's somehow in their employers' best interest to fire them, and then they would certainly have redress.

And really, this was a proposal put forward by Robert Reich weeks ago. Not a policy carved into granite by the wily Barack Obama. The RW press has blown it all out of proportion to get/keep you guys in a tizzy.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
I am sitting here reading this nonsense and thinking the same thing. Honestly, these very same posters will be in another thread talking about blacks playing the race card, how blacks should get over it (slavery, racism), blah, blah, blah. But let 1 black man get elected President and they gripe and moan like their world is about to come to an end. Puh-leese!!

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinNJ View Post
This has to be the most whining site that I've ever been on, you sit on this site accusing non-whites (especially blacks) of just wanting a free hand out. Then you turn around and whin about a plan that will create an equal opportunity for everyone, why be so f-ing greedy!

White men just have it so hard cry me a f-ing river

Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
"I am concerned, as I'm sure many of you are, that these jobs [hopefully being created by government spending] not simply go to high skilled people who are already professionals or to white male construction workers."

If this is really all he said, I'm pretty sure the title of this thread is a shameless distortion. As are many comments that followed.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
WASHINGTON – It will take years before an infrastructure spending program proposed by President-elect Barack Obama will boost the economy, according to congressional economists.
The findings, released to lawmakers Sunday, call into question the effectiveness of congressional Democrats' efforts to pump up the economy through old-fashioned public works projects like roads, bridges and repairs of public housing.
Less than half of the $30 billion in highway construction funds detailed by House Democrats would be released into the economy over the next four years, concludes the analysis by the Congressional Budget Office. Less than $4 billion in highway construction money would reach the economy by September 2010.
The economy has been in recession for more than a year, but many economists believe a recovery may begin by the end of 2009. That would mean that most of the infrastructure money wouldn't hit the economy until it's already on the mend.

Much in Obama stimulus bill won't hit economy soon - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama_stimulus - broken link)

Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
What if a politician said "we don't want stimulus to go to New York Jew Bankers"(which it did by the billions)how would that fly in the media?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
"I am concerned, as I'm sure many of you are, that these jobs [hopefully being created by government spending] not simply go to high skilled people who are already professionals or to white male construction workers."

If this is really all he said, I'm pretty sure the title of this thread is a shameless distortion. As are many comments that followed.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
What if a politician said "we don't want stimulus to go to New York Jew Bankers"(which it did by the billions)how would that fly in the media?
That is a different thing, because it's certainly not analogous to what this guy said. You're omitting the operational word in order to distort his actual point. It's the most pathetic thing I ever did see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies