Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times

Advertisements

Why should people have to take a quiz before they vote?

Already the voters turn out is low, do we really want a small part of the population to decide all the politicians.

I think it makes no sense to keep people away from the voting booth how would people voting in the suburbs of a southern city feel if the questions were whats 6 senators from New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 09:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
i dont know but McCarthy was Right!!! I think the new mcCarthy is from the left and it is the ACLU, or MoveOn.org

-to the quiz

5 presidents:
Bush,clinton, Bush, Reagan, carter, Ford, Nixon, johnson

current pres and vice pres

President Bush, VP Chaney

2 stances:

Strong stance against terrorism, permanent tax cuts, gay marriage amendment, no embryionic stem cell funding from govt,

1 senator from the state I live currently:
US senior senator Arlen Spector
us freshman senator Bob Casey

Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i dont know but McCarthy was Right!!!
That explains a lot.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Strong stance against terrorism, permanent tax cuts, gay marriage amendment, no embryionic stem cell funding from govt,
Of course, to conservatives, stances on jobs, education, balanced budget, debt reduction, farm policies, land management, transportation, health, housing and -- oh yeah -- whether or not to keep getting our brave troops killed for no reason, are not as important as whether gays can have a civil marriage...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
old timer, read what the test says, why are you trying to start an argument with me?

it was in answer to the 4 questions posed, it is not a debate on the merits of views a candidate. reread the original post.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Notice in general democrats would like to make it as easy as possible for everyone and anyone to vote!
Yeah, democracy is like that.

Quote:
I think we should all have equal access " as long as you are a legal citizen",
Agreed. You need to be a citizen before you can participate in the decisions of the country.

Quote:
but we should at least have some sort of quiz or test before you can be registered to vote. Do we really want alot more ignorant people involved in the process?
Well, maybe if Republicans would stop cutting off all the funding to our schools, we might have a more informed electorate.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 AM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
not if you are a felon, under 18, illegal alien, not a citizen at all

I think convicted felons should be allowed to vote once their sentence is up.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 03-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-12-2007, 12:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Segregationists in the late 19th century up to the mid 1960's used to require a test before you could vote. It was their way to prevent "undesirables" (black people) from voting.
The national voting rights act of 1965 stopped all that once and for all.

I don't like any thought of test's, intellegence or otherwise, as a requirment for voting. Too easy to abuse. Sorry, the fact of life is that you are going to get some dummy's out there voting for a person for all the wrong reasons.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:05 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
"I have first to say, therefore, that if I have had a bias, it was always a bias in favour of democracy, and therefore of tradition. Before we come to any theoretic or logical beginnings I am content to allow for that personal equation; I have always been more inclined to believe the ruck of hard-working people than to believe that special and troublesome literary class to which I belong. I prefer even the fancies and prejudices of the people who see life from the inside to the clearest demonstrations of the people who see life from the outside. I would always trust the old wives' fables against the old maids' facts. As long as wit is mother wit it can be as wild as it pleases." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
old timer, read what the test says, why are you trying to start an argument with me?
Start an argument with you? Hardly. I was posting my reaction to the stances you considered important enough to remember, and equating it to the so-called "moral values" issues in the last Presidential election. We might have been a lot better off, in my opinion, if the majority had paid more attention to the legitimate issues of a national government and less to the fringe issues. I don't expect you to agree. I don't care if you feel the need to argue.

Quote:
it was in answer to the 4 questions posed, it is not a debate on the merits of views a candidate. reread the original post.
I'm perfectly aware of to what it was in answer. The question was to recall 2 stances of a candidate. I was simply incredulous at the issues considered important enough to be recalled ahead of any others. My comment was to wonder what happened to the real functions of government? There was no hint of debate about views of a candidate, it was entirely about the views of conservative voters.

It also was not specifically aimed at you; your post was quoted to illustrate what triggered my comments. I specifically discussed "conservatives", not any individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies